Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Antique Pedaler,
Yes they should fit as the Bambi II frame width is the same as other Airstream's of the era. I am assuming of course that the frame height is 4" though. These tanks were designed to fit the narrower 13 panel models of the 50's, however they still fit the 60's & 70's era trailers. Linking two together is wonderful too!
Colin

I just went out & measured the frame. It's 3"......

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yesterday, my husband & I lifted the shell from the frame. My son climbed the tree & put a chain & pulley up there & it was run through the vent. A 2" x 6" x 8' board was used along with another screwed to it on edge in the middle to hold the top level & put the weight of the shell on. After a lot of Vulkem prying & a few stray rivets, the top came off. She was lowered down & shimmed on some wood and then tied down. Today we checked over the frame. It's toast. There are holes in the front where the belly pan was touching it (and the rat nest was there). My son is going to make me a new frame & add some of his own touches to it so it's beefier. It will be 4" instead of 3" so the Vintage RV Supply grey tanks can fit nicely. Next step is getting my subfloor & tracing the old plywood shape to it. Then I'll have to get the belly pan & old floor off so it will be easier for the boys to see what they have to remake for the frame. Glad I have some help, or I'd never be able to do it within financial reason!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0117.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	126071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	126072  

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	126073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0122.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	126074  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Awesome, Becky. You're making excellent progress. Are you going to be able to use anything from the old frame?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Awesome, Becky. You're making excellent progress. Are you going to be able to use anything from the old frame?
I don't think so....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
I am assuming of course that the frame height is 4" though. These tanks were designed to fit the narrower 13 panel models of the 50's, however they still fit the 60's & 70's era trailers.
I believe Becky said the Bambi II frame is 3" (which is correct). Does this mean then that this particular gray water tank won't fit? I am kind of planning on using my inherited "blue" tank from Dad. Not sure the budget will allow the gray tank addition- and not sure we would use it all that much.

Ben
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #104
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
I believe Becky said the Bambi II frame is 3" (which is correct). Does this mean then that this particular gray water tank won't fit? I am kind of planning on using my inherited "blue" tank from Dad. Not sure the budget will allow the gray tank addition- and not sure we would use it all that much.

Ben
Yes it will fit however it'll stick down an inch below the bellypan requiring some additional bellypan mods. I'm doing a major job on a 55 Flying Cloud at the moment & plan to run a 1 X 1 square tube along the full length of the chassis, allowing these tanks to be used without a bump in the bottom of the bellypan, plus adding some structure.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #105
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Yesterday, my husband & I lifted the shell from the frame. My son climbed the tree & put a chain & pulley up there & it was run through the vent. A 2" x 6" x 8' board was used along with another screwed to it on edge in the middle to hold the top level & put the weight of the shell on. After a lot of Vulkem prying & a few stray rivets, the top came off. She was lowered down & shimmed on some wood and then tied down. Today we checked over the frame. It's toast. There are holes in the front where the belly pan was touching it (and the rat nest was there). My son is going to make me a new frame & add some of his own touches to it so it's beefier. It will be 4" instead of 3" so the Vintage RV Supply grey tanks can fit nicely. Next step is getting my subfloor & tracing the old plywood shape to it. Then I'll have to get the belly pan & old floor off so it will be easier for the boys to see what they have to remake for the frame. Glad I have some help, or I'd never be able to do it within financial reason!
Nice job Becky!
Colin
Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #106
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
The holes you are looking at are "Vermin access hatches"..............
I wouldn't bother cutting them into your new floor.
Colin

PS Your new axle is scheduled to be built 4/7/11 YEAH!

Is the hole that's cut in the floor under the refrigerator a vermin access hatch too? The vermin whiz actually ate the c channel across part of the front. Don't want any more holes than we need! Is the vent behind & out the top enough, or is the floor "vent" needed too?
I usually mark the new floor sections with the original cut outs but wait for confirmation of fridge size & position before cutting. Make sure you install hardware cloth on this hole so it doesn't become a vermin access hatch in its new life
Colin
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
My first two Airstreams were restorations....a 65 Caravel (kick myself daily for selling it!) and a 76 Globe Trotter...such a sweet trailer. Seeing your project stirs the "find one and fix it" bug in me. I think it's awesome you're giving new life to an Airstream that's been forgotten. Good job!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #108
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I really appreciate your step-by-step pictures. This is a great thread. I'm so glad you found this lonely trailer.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Made some progress...

This week will be a big week in the Bambi II's new life. Last week, my husband & I traced & cut the new subfloor (don't beat me up--we chose Advantech for lots of reasons). Sadly, I screwed up one piece & had to get another (Bill was glad it wasn't HIM!). Get a load of all the nasty stuff in the belly pan in the picture. All the nasty nasty work is done. Only some insulation left in the upper panels of the shell, which sits in our back yard now, will need to be removed when the shell goes back on. The frame was interesting. The factory just cut some of the crossmembers to fit the drain for the shower & some plumbing for the toilet area. We're going to avoid doing that with the new frame. My son has a pal with an iron works shop that is allowing him to use the shop this Saturday. Yesterday, I picked up the steel for the frame rails & ordered custom outriggers and a bumper. Total cost for the steel was $718 including labor for cuts. This will save my son, Paul, a lot of time fabricating the outriggers. We hoped to pick up the axles by the time the frame is made, but it's looking grim in that area. The factory is backed up & I'm not sure when I'll get them. Hopefully, something will happen before Saturday & I can go trekk the 2 hour drive to get them. There's an RV Surplus store a few miles from there that I want to go to for sinks, etc., so the trip won't be wasted on just picking up axles.

I've cleaned up the black tank, which also was full of mouse house. Has anyone else changed the toilet on a Bambi II? Do you know if you can change the flange on the top to a modern one? I'll post a picture of what it looks like now & see if anyone can give me advise on that. I probably should order a toilet before we start to plumb so we can dry fit everything first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0124.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	126882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0125.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	126883  

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	126884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	126885  

Name:	DSC_0178.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	126886  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Whow real progress. Of course Im old and would have never tackled the "gitten it out of the woods" thing. LOOKIN GOOD. I watch with anticipation.
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Lots of progress happened yesterday. My sons & husband were a great help to me! I'm glad they humor me with these parts of the project that I'm really incapable of doing! The black tank flange was ground down to accept a standard flange, so that delema is over. The other HUGE thing was the new frame. I picked up all the pieces from the fabricators. They were all perfect. My husband drew out a plan for the new frame, taking into account the two gray tanks & larger fridge. He moved a couple of the cross members over to account for those things. We beefed up the frame to 4" from 3". Below are some pictures of our day. It took about 6 hours to lay it out & weld it. A few cuts had to be made, but the use of my son's friends shop made the task of cutting a piece of cake! I think I need to learn how to weld---it looks easy & like a satisfying skill to know! Here are some pictures of our day. Still waiting on the axles, so she's strapped on the back of our flatbed pick-up right now awaiting those & Por-15!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	127180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	127181  

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	127182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	127183  

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	127184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	127185  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #112
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Awesome!

Thats just awesome how everyone is pitching in to do a part! When I started my project everyone I know disappeared. Only help I had was from Mrs. S (wife).

Must be a good feeling having lots of help. It will make the trailer that much more special when its finished. Good for ya'll!

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote