Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
So can you walk in the thing or do you just step through the floor? Shell on or Shell off restoration? Can't wait to watch your progress!
I actually can walk in it. It's definitely going to be a shell off restoration. My son has already volunteered to make me a new frame. Speaking of which, would it be a terrible thing to make the front end of the frame a bit longer so a box could fit up there (or something like that). He wants to do that, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Would it detract from the value (if it's ever finished)? He's of the opinion that it would be faster for him to make a frame & install new & larger grey, black & water tanks below than to wire wheel & repair the old one (we haven't seen it yet). Por-15 will be sprayed this time (hopefully not all over me!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I did some clean up the past couple of days. I still have to get the bathroom out. I'm trying to keep the pan from the shower intact, so I'm trying to be careful removing the walls. I found two raccoon skulls in there. Yuck! The really nasty stuff (foam rubber, leaves, insulation, pooh,etc. etc.) is all out now, so I'm finished with the respirator. My husband wears that thing & the suit when he sprays for bugs in our greenhouses. I have a whole new respect for him--that thing is HOT and it was cool outside when I wore it!
Yesterday, the Bambi II (I don't have a name for it yet) came home to our back yard. She's tucked in front of the '86. My husband had to do some welding to enable the hitch to hook onto my Expedition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0073.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	124949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0079.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	124950  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
HOME already. Thats a good thing. Looks pretty darn good from here.
GOOD JOB !
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Looks like you have the start of a good collection of alluminum there! Now the fun can really start. Good to have something to do! Farmers are never to busy for another project:-)
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I still have to get the bathroom out. I'm trying to keep the pan from the shower intact, so I'm trying to be careful removing the walls. My husband had to do some welding to enable the hitch to hook onto my Expedition.
Hello! Please document how you take out the bathroom. I made progress in the Fall removing the kitchen area (I think yours was gone), the wardrobe, and the vanity. I stopped short of removing the gauchos and bathroom. I think I am going to leave the upper cabinets in place. It does not seem necessary to remove those, though they will need some work for sure.

What did your husband have to do to the hitch to make it work with your tow vehicle?

Looking good! Even just sitting there in front of your Excella, it is hard to believe that is the same Bambi II that sat, just days ago, wasting away in the woods!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Becky,
I'm surprised you haven't updated your profile to include your new find.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Becky,
I'm surprised you haven't updated your profile to include your new find.
OOOH yeah! I forgot to do that!

About the bathroom.......I'm considering chopping the toilet in half to get at the bolts. It's super nasty in there & I'd rather not have my head stuck down by the turlet longer than it needs to be! The raccoons used the whole thing as a latrine (along with the sink).

My husband basically destroyed the hitch end for use in traveling. He torched a hole in the top & welded a piece of metal on the bottom so he could put a pin through it on a hitch without a ball. We live about 4 miles from our farm. I towed it at a whopping 15 MPH the whole way home down busy Route 30. Really felt like a hilljack with the plastic on the windows. My sons were hysterical as they passed me on the way home. WHATEVER!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:

About the bathroom.......I'm considering chopping the toilet in half to get at the bolts. It's super nasty in there & I'd rather not have my head stuck down by the turlet longer than it needs to be! The raccoons used the whole thing as a latrine (along with the sink).
I am most interested in how the bathroom tub/floor and the walls are separated. I think once I dive in, I will get it no problem. Also- mine has a newer RV toilet in it. Since my trailer was not used as the raccoon hangout for twenty years, it is not so gross. I am looking at the Sealand Traveler (low profile) for the toilet. It is available from Vintage Trailer.com. I think that even the lowest profile is taller than what is in there. I think it will work out OK, though.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I pulled down the wall of the shower today. It was attached with some large screws to the floor & ceiling, along with rivets, vulkem & silicone. That gave me a straight shot at the toilet removal. It wasn't going well, so I chopped it up to get the rear bolt. Thank goodness for small favors.....the black tank was left open. Yeah! Now for the goofy stack coming out of the bathroom that runs right in front of the window. Strange configuration to have a wall & pipe right in front of the window..... I guess if I get some time tomorrow, I'll bring in the sawzall for the pipes coming out of the floor & wall before I can get the the pan out & then the wall. I don't know how it would all happen if I couldn't saw some of this stuff out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	125299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	125300  

Name:	DSC_0083.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	125301   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	125302  

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	125303  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I pulled down the wall of the shower today. It was attached with some large screws to the floor & ceiling, along with rivets, vulkem & silicone. That gave me a straight shot at the toilet removal. It wasn't going well, so I chopped it up to get the rear bolt. Thank goodness for small favors.....the black tank was left open. Yeah! Now for the goofy stack coming out of the bathroom that runs right in front of the window. Strange configuration to have a wall & pipe right in front of the window..... I guess if I get some time tomorrow, I'll bring in the sawzall for the pipes coming out of the floor & wall before I can get the the pan out & then the wall. I don't know how it would all happen if I couldn't saw some of this stuff out!
All of this looks incredibly familiar- like our trailers are only one serial number apart or something! I was out looking at my shower enclosure the other day and saw that it is a bunch of screws and such holding it in. I think I will be able to attack it pretty soon. As for the toilet- I think mine is going to have to come out the same way. I have a Sawzall, too!

Be sure to read up on VintageAirstream.com about how to remove the old Thetford brass valve and install a fresh new one on the black tank! It looks like an easy install and will take the guesswork out of the old valve.

Thanks for the updates! I have been waiting to see what you did next! By the way- what do you think you are going to use for your subfloor? I am planning on using Nylaboard, but I know it is pricey! On one hand, I don't have a lot of money sitting around since we just had a little girl and money will be tight- on the other hand, I want to restore this thing right because now I have someone who will inherit it!

Ben
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Oh yes- the black tank vent tube is ridiculous in its placement! I think with curtains up, it will not be noticeable from the outside, though, and when you are in the bathroom- well, that should not be the focus anyway! It is a pretty funky placement, though. Very strange!!

Ben
Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I ordered axles from Colin H today. I'm going to pick them up in Elkhart IN when they're ready. While I'm out there I'll go to the RV Surplus store for stuff I need (stove, tanks, fridge, etc.)
I'm going to use exterior Fir plywood for the subfloor. I looked into Nyloboard. Called the company and a local dealer said a 1/2" sheet was $288 and a 3/4" sheet was $429. Shipping was another $120. I figure I need 4 sheets. I have way too many other things to spend $ on. The floor in mine is 46 years old. It was 1/2 buried in dirt. I can still stand in it & not fall through. I'll be dead in 46 more years (unless I live to be 96, which is pretty unlikely with my family history!), so I'm going for the fir. I'm going to epoxy the edges & seal the middle of both sides. That's the plan!

Thanks for the tip about the Vintage tutorial. I changed the valves in my '86 last spring. It wasn't too bad a job. Not sure if I should keep this black tank or get a new one. I pitched the fresh water tank. I couldn't think about drinking anything from in there! I'm planning on putting in a grey tank, but want to put in something bigger than 15 gallons. I'll have to do some more reading!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #69
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi becky take a look at this sealer for the floor. I used it on mine and got the tip from another forum member. It's basically liquid rubber. You paint on a base coat and then a second top coat. Once painted on the wood is totally waterproof. It is used for all sorts of applications like boats, docks, basements and it is even used to make aquariums.
DIY Wet Basement Waterproofing, Finishing & Flooring, Swimming Pool, Deck & Concrete Crack Repair, Roof & Industrial Floor Coating
Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Cadet , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
I ordered axles from Colin H today. I'm going to pick them up in Elkhart IN when they're ready. While I'm out there I'll go to the RV Surplus store for stuff I need (stove, tanks, fridge, etc.)
I'm going to use exterior Fir plywood for the subfloor. I looked into Nyloboard. Called the company and a local dealer said a 1/2" sheet was $288 and a 3/4" sheet was $429. Shipping was another $120. I figure I need 4 sheets. I have way too many other things to spend $ on. The floor in mine is 46 years old. It was 1/2 buried in dirt. I can still stand in it & not fall through. I'll be dead in 46 more years (unless I live to be 96, which is pretty unlikely with my family history!), so I'm going for the fir. I'm going to epoxy the edges & seal the middle of both sides. That's the plan!

Thanks for the tip about the Vintage tutorial. I changed the valves in my '86 last spring. It wasn't too bad a job. Not sure if I should keep this black tank or get a new one. I pitched the fresh water tank. I couldn't think about drinking anything from in there! I'm planning on putting in a grey tank, but want to put in something bigger than 15 gallons. I'll have to do some more reading!
This is really neat to be an outsider and watch! I would never have what it takes to do what your doing but after reading you both sure give inspiration. Thank you! Keep the stories coming, loving it.

TAC-MO-08
WBCCI-29835
Love shack is offline   Reply With Quote