Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1964 Bambi II
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #481
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
My hubby did something for the first time in 31 years of marriage....he took a day off of farming & asked if I wanted to go camping!! We're in Shipshewanna IN for a trial run in the Bambi II. So far, the toilet leaks, I drilled through the front running lights wire, and, after we were all set up, we slid off the levelers & the jack stand & almost rolled down a little hill. All is well & we're chillaxing & gonna watch a redbox. I love glamping!

Attachment 186298

Yummy Amish restaurant filled our bellies. Auction & flea market tomorrow. FUN!
Becky,

It took me 3 days to get our Caravel free of drips/runs/errors on our first trip. We had all sorts of problems -- I hope you'll do much better.

31 years married? Sounds like you're honeymooners!

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #482
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I can't tell you how proud I am of you two (and the boys.) When you first showed the recovery and started the miserable job of cleaning I figured you would give that up and leave a typical half done project for some one else...and it would never get done. You are an inspiration in many ways. Your the best!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #483
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
My hubby did something for the first time in 31 years of marriage....he took a day off of farming & asked if I wanted to go camping!! We're in Shipshewanna IN for a trial run in the Bambi II. So far, the toilet leaks, I drilled through the front running lights wire, and, after we were all set up, we slid off the levelers & the jack stand & almost rolled down a little hill. All is well & we're chillaxing & gonna watch a redbox. I love glamping!

Attachment 186298

Yummy Amish restaurant filled our bellies. Auction & flea market tomorrow. FUN!
AWESOME BECKY! I'm wishing for the day when I can follow your example! Kudos .....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
it's come quite a long way from the woods. Has the PO seen it? Lookin good.
No, the PO hasn't seen it. I told him I'd be back in about 2 years with some pictures. I won't be pulling it over there for a tour, because he has some big pitbulls roaming around that kinda freak me out. I braved it out for the negotiations with him, but I think I'll just leave them in his mailbox. He can come by me if he wants an in-person tour!

We made it home from our little overniter. Man, that trailer tows nicely! I did the driving & encountered scads of semis, but had no sway at all. We'll have the falling off the levelers & foot incident to laugh about for a while. My husband (and I'm sure I) had such a funny look on his face while we were rolling!
He actually got ahold of the cut wire to the front running lights by drilling a hole on the underside of the trailer. Thank goodness I had some pictures of where the wires were installed, so he had a good idea of where to search! He thinks the toilet leak is fixed, but we got a lemon from a surplus store & it has been nothing but problems (probably why it was there to begin with & we had it too long to have the warranty be any good) Sure am glad I signed him up to help me out with the plumbing & electric when we started this project! Now he's on the hunt for LED lights for under the trailer. Not my choice, but I'll humor him, since he has humored me for this whole project!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #485
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Becky, looking soooo good! What a wonderful feeling of accomplishment that must be.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #486
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
What a wonderful transformation! I'm so glad you got to enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #487
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Crying for Attention!!

Well, I've neglected my little Bambi II lately and took her sister- by-another Mister (the Avion) out for my annual 2 week do nothing camping trip to the Dunes. Had a great trip & discovered the Avions leak as much as Airstreams ,but boy are they roomy! I plan on finishing my polish job on the Bambi in the next couple of weeks, but she put out a big cry today when this happened:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tree down! 6-27-13.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	189473Click image for larger version

Name:	just missed the Bambi II...jpg
Views:	191
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	189474

Thankfully, it just missed the Bambi II, but my son's boat is under the limb--his outriggers are holding one end & the power line is holding the other! Lucked out this time!! (2nd close call for this girl--maybe I ought to think about moving her

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #488
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Yikes! That's way too close for comfort.

We keep getting "possible" hail storms warnings here, I'm fully prepared to throw my body over the endcaps if necessary, and force my kids too also
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #489
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Geez that's close. The heat is kicking in high gear down south so I'm not making much progress on Dolly. Well, that and too many other projects!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #490
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Yikes! That's way too close for comfort.

We keep getting "possible" hail storms warnings here, I'm fully prepared to throw my body over the endcaps if necessary, and force my kids too also
Ha! Ha! My family knows I'm insane when the first thing I check on is my trailer. We've had so many storms here lately, it's redunkulous!!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, that was close!

Speaking of storms, our weather forecast for the next 14 days has storms forecast for every day, and we've already had that for the past four or five. That certainly cuts down on the polishing!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #492
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Geez that's close. The heat is kicking in high gear down south so I'm not making much progress on Dolly. Well, that and too many other projects!
What kind of heat do you generally have at this time of year? I've been to the Florida Keys in June & there was no way anyone could ever polish in those temperatures!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #493
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
What kind of heat do you generally have at this time of year? I've been to the Florida Keys in June & there was no way anyone could ever polish in those temperatures!
It's not really super hot that gets us, its the soak. Our pool is 90 degrees and will probably top out at 95+ in late july. It just doesn't cool off for about 3 months. Getting an early start helps somewhat but 1st thing in the morning is usually the peak humidity. By 9:00 this morning all of my clothes were soaked with sweat.

I'm ready to put some hours on that new 15000 AC unit...time to go camping!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #494
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
My hubby plumbed the grey tanks to the shower pan today. He's going to run the grey water from the kitchen sink in with the vent on that side of the trailer, so this is all the plumbing that will be under the trailer. We used a Hepvo drain on the shower so we don't have to have the p-trap hanging out of the bottom of the trailer.
Becky-

How high up on the sides of the gray tanks did you have VTS install your inlets? I am getting ready to put the floor in where the gray tank could go and I am trying to figure out if I should put the connector plate (shell on floor install, remember!) on top of the floor or underneath like the rest of them.

Placing it above, presumably I could place the fresh water tank on it...and lose a bit of interior cabinet space. Placing it underneath, I would need to lower the inlet a bit on the tank...didn't know if that mattered? It looks to me from your pics that your inlets are pretty much centered in the tank sides. Is this correct? Perhaps it does not matter how high up it is. I thought the higher up it was the more capacity it would have, but I am now thinking water doesn't care.

Thanks! I will post some pics of my progress this evening.

Ben
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #495
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The tanks come with one hole installed already by VTS. It's low on the tank and in the center of the tank. We had one extra one put in the same spot except on the opposite side of the tank for the shower drain to tie in. The galley sink drains to the top of the second tank & the first tank (closest to the front of the trailer) is vented out the top & ties in with the galley sink, which ties in with the vent stack in the closet. Make sense?

Here are some pictures of the rear grey tank tied in with the shower drain:

Name:	DSC_0545.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	190621

Name:	DSC_0544.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	190622

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #496
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The tanks come with one hole installed already by VTS. It's low on the tank and in the center of the tank. We had one extra one put in the same spot except on the opposite side of the tank for the shower drain to tie in. The galley sink drains to the top of the second tank & the first tank (closest to the front of the trailer) is vented out the top & ties in with the galley sink, which ties in with the vent stack in the closet. Make sense?

Here are some pictures of the rear grey tank tied in with the shower drain:

Attachment 190621

Attachment 190622
So the added holes were placed low on the tank? Cool.

Is venting necessary? I heard it is and then that it is not. I guess if it is vented it drains more quickly?

Ben
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #497
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
From everything I've read, it's necessary. It drains more quickly as well as more completely, not to mention it lets the nasty smells out through the roof instead of wafting around your trailer :-/

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #498
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
From everything I've read, it's necessary. It drains more quickly as well as more completely, not to mention it lets the nasty smells out through the roof instead of wafting around your trailer :-/
Wanted to second this... Definitely necessary. You don't want to create a vacuum when emptying or put so much pressure when filling that it slows the process and creates "burps".

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #499
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm going insane polishing.... My hands & arms kill, I've been mocked by my daughter, I need more ibuprofen, but I'm maxed out, I obviously need a shower.....

Name:	image-2158950857.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	190714

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #500
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
I'm going insane polishing.... My hands & arms kill, I've been mocked by my daughter, I need more ibuprofen, but I'm maxed out, I obviously need a shower.....
But I see something shiny in the background....Isn't it worth it?!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote