Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #309
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Took some pictures of the galley. I'm in the process of fitting the top with a pattern. I forgot to add an overhang, but luckily it's just a pattern! My hubby hooked up the gas for the fridge & the stove. The water heater & catalytic heater are about 2 feet from the line, so they are under the sink as well. I know people advise to put the connections under the trailer, but the chief plumber/electrician says there is less of a chance of damage if they are inside. As you can see, I've installed a propane detector inches from the connections, so I think it's as safe as the next trailer (or maybe safer!) I'm ready for the posts of concern, so don't feel bad if you post them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	173687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	173688  

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	173689  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #310
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My hubby got the rest of the propane hooked up last night. Tested out the 12V propane detector & it worked (and boy is it LOUD!) I worked on the counter top yesterday for a while. Got everything cut & routed. The sink is from a '65 Caravel, I believe. I got a heads up from a nice member here who knew of someone else selling it. I had two other sinks that I changed my mind on before getting an original looking sink. Round & stainless rectangle were the ones I didn't use (anyone need a rectangle stainless sink?!) Today I might do some formica laminating & tweeking of the installation of both the sink & stove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0099.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	173869  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Becky, what brand of catalytic heater are you going with? My original gas heater does not work. The local Airstream dealership shop says that I should not waste my money getting it working as they were a danger from day one. I was thinking a catalytic heater might be the answer. Plus it would take up a lot less room that I could use for additional storage.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #312
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Becky, what brand of catalytic heater are you going with? My original gas heater does not work. The local Airstream dealership shop says that I should not waste my money getting it working as they were a danger from day one. I was thinking a catalytic heater might be the answer. Plus it would take up a lot less room that I could use for additional storage.
It's an Olympian (the smallest one they make). It toasted the place right up. I don't know if I would sleep with it on, though. You have to have a vent open for fresh air due to carbon dioxide gas (I will have one of those alarms too!!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #313
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Becky, glad to see my old (but pristine) sink being put back into service. It came out of my 65 Caravel and after years of waffling over whether I would use it or not, I went with a stainless sink to compliment my modernized interior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interior.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	173870  
WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #314
3 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Rescued Bambi

Becky, You go girl! I can't wait to see the pictures of the progress to make the old girl beautiful again! You should set up a blog and have people adopt a part to help you! You can then put names on a plaque when she is done!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #315
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Becky, thank you. The Olympian seem nice and compact and take up a small footprint of space with easy installation. I was looking at the Olympian heaters at CampingWorld. Have you come across a place with better prices than they have? I always look forward to your next updates. You have so many great ideas for updating our old trailers
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #316
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Becky, glad to see my old (but pristine) sink being put back into service. It came out of my 65 Caravel and after years of waffling over whether I would use it or not, I went with a stainless sink to compliment my modernized interior.
Ahh, Sheridan! I should have swapped you sinks! I do have a question about the old, but pristine sink......How was it attached to the counter? To me, it looks like just silicone sealer, since I have no hardware...? And thanks again for the old, but pristine sink!!! I love it!

AWCHIEF, I'm not sure....I bought a used, but pristine Olympian heater.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #317
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Great find - you'll be in for some fun times now! ENJOY!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #318
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Becky,

This is what I sent you: Pic #1

I just can't remember if the clips attach to the trim ring or just to the sink.

I do have an old photo that looks like there is some caulking under the trim ring: Pic #2

A swap would have been to easy...we just didn't know.
I also tried a round stainless sink from IKEA but it was too big (smaller sink = more counter space.)

On second thought, look closely at the clips. Does the tiny hook portion of the clip
attach to the "stem" part of the "T" profile trim ring to pull it down onto the sink flange?

Sheridan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02991.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	173880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00085.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	173881  

WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #319
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Becky,

This is what I sent you: Pic #1

I just can't remember if the clips attach to the trim ring or just to the sink.

I do have an old photo that looks like there is some caulking under the trim ring: Pic #2

A swap would have been to easy...we just didn't know.
I also tried a round stainless sink from IKEA but it was too big (smaller sink = more counter space.)

On second thought, look closely at the clips. Does the tiny hook portion of the clip
attach to the "stem" part of the "T" profile trim ring to pull it down onto the sink flange?

Sheridan
Wow, am I glad I asked you, Sheridan!! I didn't find the clips in the box--didn't look for them. So that's why I couldn't figure out how it was attached to the counter. Luckily, I thought "Hum....this box would be good to ship the stainless sink in when I sell it", so I threw the stainless one in the box & stuck it under the pool table (that's my stockpile place for all things Airstream). I just ran down there & checked the box--YEP, they were still in the box So, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It's pretty funny how we both tried round, stainless & white and are both happy with our sinks! That's what makes the world go 'round. Thanks too for your instructions. I'll check it out with the sink & the clips!!

And, by the way, your trailer interior looks great!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #320
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Becky,

We probably spent over 100 nights in the Caravel with the Olympian heater on all night. We opened the Jalousie windows 1/2" between each glass piece and opened the Fantastic Vent 1". That way the cold draft came down low pretty far away from where we were sleeping. It's probably overkill on fresh air, but we never had an issue. Like you, I wouldn't consider running it without the CO, smoke and propane monitors running.

We found that we had to keep the heater covered when unused or the first bit of dust burning would set off the smoke alarm. Alarms seem twice as loud in that confined space, don't they?

Looking very good!

John
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Good to know, John. Thanks for the info! One more thing to add to the "to do" list is make a cover!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #322
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Very nice looking kitchen sink area! Thanks for sharing...