Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Becky.

Wow, everything is looking great!

I was wondering how you determined what size frig. to put into your Bambi? We're going to be going on a trip to Bontrager's (thanks for the info on them), and I would like to go with a list (including max. space available) for each item. By the way, what size did you decide on?

If you already covered this in this thread, I'm sorry, I have read the thread along, but I must have forgotten it was discussed.

I know laying out a floor plan is the thing to do, but I was wondering how others made a determination on what to give up on and what was absolutely necessary to have.

For instance, we have a 25' Safari and it has what I think is a rather large frig. for a travel trailer. However, when we go camping, we always seem to fill it up and also have a cooler for overflow.

Oh, and another thing which I don't think I've read on any thread yet (at least that I can remember).............when using overhead cabinets, is there a limit on size/weight which should be considered unless you had a way to support some of the weight from the floor?

Thanks so much.

Deb

Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #296
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I think this is the only place you can get Prodex from:

Prodex Total 24 Inch Insulation

I've finished my first roll & am into the 2nd. I used the first under the floor, so I hope to have enough to finish the 2nd layer.
Becky- did two rolls do it for you? I am getting ready to order. They have free shipping today and I might try to get an order in, but it seems as though I need to enter a login or something.

I will be calling you soon to get details on installing the Prodex. The frame I uncovered yesterday looks good. I am glad the tongue was the only really rough part!

Ben

Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Becky- did two rolls do it for you? I am getting ready to order. They have free shipping today and I might try to get an order in, but it seems as though I need to enter a login or something.

I will be calling you soon to get details on installing the Prodex. The frame I uncovered yesterday looks good. I am glad the tongue was the only really rough part!

Ben
I was a tiny bit short (I used it underneath too) and just bought a roll of the
Refletix (I think it's called) from Menards. I was only about 5 ft. short. Maybe you can squeeze it better than I did!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Hi Becky.

Wow, everything is looking great!

I was wondering how you determined what size frig. to put into your Bambi? We're going to be going on a trip to Bontrager's (thanks for the info on them), and I would like to go with a list (including max. space available) for each item. By the way, what size did you decide on?

If you already covered this in this thread, I'm sorry, I have read the thread along, but I must have forgotten it was discussed.

I know laying out a floor plan is the thing to do, but I was wondering how others made a determination on what to give up on and what was absolutely necessary to have.

For instance, we have a 25' Safari and it has what I think is a rather large frig. for a travel trailer. However, when we go camping, we always seem to fill it up and also have a cooler for overflow.

Oh, and another thing which I don't think I've read on any thread yet (at least that I can remember).............when using overhead cabinets, is there a limit on size/weight which should be considered unless you had a way to support some of the weight from the floor?

Thanks so much.

Deb
I got my fridge from the RV Surplus store in Elkhart. It is a Norcold Model N300X - a 2.7 cu ft 3-way refrigerator. I determined the size by what I guestimated the height of the cabinet to be & I knew I wanted a freezer in the fridge. I have no cabinets, so I didn't have a hole to fit it into. My stove will be on top of the fridge.

I don't really know anything about weight limits in overhead cabinets, but common sense would say to put your heavy stuff in the bottom cabinets

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Becky-

I am ripping up flooring, preparing to paint the frame, and getting ready to button up the front of the trailer again.

I am new to 7 wire wiring for trailers. I have done flat four plug wiring on my smaller trailers, but not 7. When you ran your cord from the front to the rear of the trailer to wire taillights, clearance lights, battery charger, etc.- did you go out and buy individual wires, or did you find a place that sells it already made up?

The original wiring is not sleeved under the frame. I cannot find anyone who sells un-sleeved bundles of 7 wire wiring. I think running sleeved wiring under the frame and having to cut through the insulation to get at the wires you need when you need them would be a royal pain...

Thanks for your ideas!

Ben
Here is the photo I promised you, Ben. It is taken in the bottom of the curbside closet (the only closet). The wire is automotive romex. The plug is for my a/c. And the blue thing is pex that I wrapped in blue tape so it wouldn't be exposed to any light & get hard before we finally get the plumbing in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	166935  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've been varnishing like a mad woman for the last few days. One side of the dinette is completed and back together. I put the banding on it & it actually turned out without a hitch! I figured I should get some of that finished before I got too far ahead (or the job of varnishing would be pretty daunting) It'll be nice to get my vehicle back in the garage when I'm finished with this part of the project!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0451[1].jpg
Views:	143
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	166936  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #301
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Becky, thanks for the info.

Everything is looking great -- it looks as though you've done woodworking before, very nice.

Deb
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #302
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I've been varnishing like a mad woman for the last few days. One side of the dinette is completed and back together. I put the banding on it & it actually turned out without a hitch! I figured I should get some of that finished before I got too far ahead (or the job of varnishing would be pretty daunting) It'll be nice to get my vehicle back in the garage when I'm finished with this part of the project!
Your woodwork is looking great Becky!!

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #303

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
wow...the incredible woodwork blends into the polished interior!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Thanks for the compliments! I'm no master woodworker (my big bro is one), but I enjoy the challenge. At least I feel comfortable with this part of the project!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
dinette finished!

Well, my first big attempt at laminating formica went surprisingly well! I chose the charcoal boomerang pattern for my table & countertops & ordered it through Lowes (picked it up there to save $) So, here's the table.....Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1010.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	167842

I finally finished the gaucho. I really didn't want legs as part of the front of the gaucho, but wasn't sure how to go about doing that. So, I stole a few ideas & put some of my own twists on them & came up with legs that have a hinge. Two big magnets keep them under the top of the gaucho when it slides in. The front of the gaucho keeps them from ever over-sliding (which would likely happen while sleeping ). I made the front of the gaucho top with about a 1" lip to keep the cushions from sliding out. Topped it off with more silver edging.

Next project is figuring out the closet door & framing in the a/c.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1013.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	167843   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1015.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	167844  

Name:	DSC_1016.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	167845   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1017.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	167846  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Wow! It's been quite a while since any updates (work got in the way!). In between time, I have finished framing in the closet in the rear. I also framed in the a/c in such a way that the whole thing is removable (in case the a/c ever pukes!). There will be drawers to the left of the a/c.Click image for larger version

Name:	closet and air conditioner framed.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	171329 I'm going to make a top to match the table. There won't be a sink back there, since the kitchen sink is about 2 feet from there!

Since today was such a beautiful day here, I took the opportunity to polish a little. And I mean a little! This is several sessions of polishing. I've broken down the process to:

1. Whizzer wheel with very fine scotch pads
2. Wet sand 600 then 1000
3. Polish wheel with black
4. Nuvite F9
5. All other grades, but that's for next summer!
It's gonna be a bear!

Name:	a bit of polish finished 2 oct 25, 2012.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	171330

Name:	a bit of polishing finished october 25, 2012.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	171331

And, sadly, I've put my Sovereign up for sale. I made myself decide which one I should keep, and since I have 2 years of my life stuck in the Bambi II, I'm keeping her. So, if you know anyone who would love her, she's in the classifieds!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #307

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
That had to be a tough decision on which trailer to sell. The Bambi is looking aweful nice though.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You tube is a wonderful thing. I've never made drawers before, so I looked it up on you tube. They're not dove-tailed, but I've maxed out my tool budget here! My biggest challenge was getting the air nailer to shoot straight (probably because it's a HF model). The drawers for the rear are pretty small, but will be handy for toiletries. I changed my plan of side drawer slides in the rear, since they'll take up more space than bottom ones. It took me a while to install those in the cabinet. Hopefully, they'll work well, since they'll be a pain to remove if I ever need to! The drawer fronts are finished. I'll be moving on to the upper cabinets pretty soon. I'll have to get a picture of the kitchen set up. This project is taking over my shop, my basement & my garage. I'm desperately trying to get most of the messy wood cutting finished so I can clean up for the Christmas party at my house in a few weeks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0091.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	173617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0092.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	173618  

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg