Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1964 Bambi II
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #361
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
3 doors above gaucho (panels laying there too)
2 doors under gaucho (panels laying there too)
2 doors under dinette (panels laying there too)
1 door above sink - - not shown & FINISHED!!!
I'll have to go out there & take some pictures of my door problem. I've got a week before my winter work break is over (which is why I've been trying so hard to get this finished). I have to go back to work to take a rest!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #362
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Your hard work shows! Beautiful cabinets - can't wait to see the install! Pace yourself...
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I just went out to the Bambi II & stared at the opening for the closet door for a while. I need to put a bi-fold door in. I made the drawers next to the closet very close to the edge of the closet, which presents my problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0108.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	178459
The rest of the doors will overlap outside of their frames. Sadly, I didn't plan for that here :-/ So, I guess I'll mount the door inside the frame & it'll just have to be different from the rest. I don't think many people will actually think that's a bad thing, it's just that I would rather it be the same!
So one question from my friends.....I'll be making the bi-fold in the same style as the other doors (I'm holding the door for above the sink in the picture, just for an example) Each style of the cabinet doors are 1 1/2" wide. For the center styles that will be joined with the piano hinge, would you make them 3/4" each, or 1 1/2" each? The total width of the opening is something like 27" (I forgot my notes in the trailer). What would you do?
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	178460Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0109.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	178461

And on a happy note....I'm going downtown (Chicago) tomorrow with my sister who is a sewing/quilting master to pick out my fabric!!!!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #364
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I would make all the stiles 1 1/2". Each door panel will look more balanced that way, especially when the door is open.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #365
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I agree with Barbie as to the stiles.

As an alternative ( and I'm going to have trouble explaining this) what if you made a solid non moving panel at the front of the bottom of that closet, say from the countertop level down. Regular cabinet door just like your others above. Sure you'd have to reach down into it to store things but it could work. You could even build a decorative panel into the center of it, like the metal one you have to the right. What's below the closet , can't quite see it?

Or maybe a solid panel with holes for wine bottles, Or open cubby holes for ?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #366
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm so glad to hear from women on the cabinet subject....so cool to not be the only female who does woodworking (my friends think I'm rather odd & eccentric, I think!) I will take both of your advise & use the 1 1/2" styles, to keep things uniform. Shelly, I did think about bringing up the bottom panel to counter level. The only problem with that would be if we have any issues inside the closet bottom. We have plumbing, gas & the water heater all below the closet floor. It would be tuff the get down there if we had another 18-20" to bend over & into the bottom of the closet. I could test it out with a board tomorrow & see how far this old body can bend into there -- even though it would be my DH who would be diving into the closet of anything mechanical goes wrong!!! Thanks, girls, for the opinions!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #367
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Make the panel removable. Kreg jig joints (as long as you don't glue) can be removed and reassembled very easily. Or do two backing boards on either side and attach the front board with those super strong mini magnets recessed into the face. Try Rockler as a source ! I also love to see other women who woodwork!

On reflection it was Lee Valley where I got magnets

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42363,42348
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #368
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have Kreg joints all over the place, so the removable panel is a GREAT idea. Then I can make the door match the others. Now I can sleep. Thanks!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #369
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
You're welcome !
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #370
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I really like the idea of the bifold door. It's a unique enough cabinet that it doesn't have to look exactly like everything else, and the different opening mechanism justifies a slightly different look. Keeping access easy is important, 'cause when you need access, you usually need it right now.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #371
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Becky.

I agree with the others about the size of the stiles.

I was wondering if you'd considered doing "sliding bi-pass" doors there? (One slides in front of the other one when open, and they just lift on and off when you need to do major things inside.) That way you don't have to worry about the stack-back of the two doors bumping into the adjoining cabinets. They are super easy, just build the doors and then hang them on hardware you purchase at HD, or where ever - they glide very easily............which, come to think of it, could be a problem with movement during travel, you'd need to place a stop for travel time.

Everything's looking so good! Great job.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #372
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Becky

Beautiful cabinet work. I understand why you made the drawers come out so far to the edge. 1 1/2" styles I agree. I like the idea of a removable door too. Bifold doors are problematic and will just get in the way when you want to access the cabinet. A removable door will make the best access to the cabinet interior.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #373
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I just ran out & took a measurement of the opening: It's only 21 3/8". So, if I were to put sliding bi-pass doors (which is a nice idea), the opening would only be half of that. I still don't mind the bi-fold idea, with a removable panel on the bottom up to the counter, to square things off so the frame of the door can sit outside the opening. I am afraid a complete solid door would get in the way when opened, because you'd have to deliberately step past it to open it up. The original door was a bi-fold. (not that anything is original in this puppy). Thanks everyone for all your ideas. I think it'll be a melding of all of them!
I got my fabric today. Quite an exciting thing! Now to call the upholsterer....I know my limitations, and that my friends, is NOT up my alley!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #374
Machinist

1971 31' Sovereign
Yakima , Washington
Looks great!!!!!!! It's been great watching the progress!!

Keep up the great work!

-Mark-
Blondin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #375
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana

Name:	DSC_0113.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	178848

Name:	DSC_0111.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	178849Got my upper cabinets hung today. Another first for me! Yesterday, I ordered my foam for the gaucho & dinette. Oh wowza!!! I got a fabulous deal on the fabric at a huge place in Chicago (2121 21st Street, Textile Outlet), but had the foam ordered from my buddy who did the gaucho in my '86 when I had it redone (he does really nice work if anyone needs stuff done & lives in the Chicagoland area). Anyhow, that foam is pretty pricey stuff! So, here are some pix of the upper cabinets:

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Cabinets, as well as everything else, look super! Would you mind sharing how you hung the cabinets, or rather, what they are attached to and how? My DH says he doesn't know if he wants us to hang anything from the ribs because he doesn't think they are that substantial. I'm thinking all of ours may have to be build up from the floor, if that makes sense.

Did you have the original cabinets to use to get the correct arc/curve of the ceiling/walls?

Thanks Becky.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #377
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Cabinets, as well as everything else, look super! Would you mind sharing how you hung the cabinets, or rather, what they are attached to and how? My DH says he doesn't know if he wants us to hang anything from the ribs because he doesn't think they are that substantial. I'm thinking all of ours may have to be build up from the floor, if that makes sense.

Did you have the original cabinets to use to get the correct arc/curve of the ceiling/walls?

Thanks Becky.

Deb
I had nothing to use as a pattern. The original cabinets weren't in the trailer when found. I scribed the walls onto a piece of scrap & cut it , tried it, cut it, tried it (you get the idea) I got some ideas for hanging from this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/k...g-90350-3.html

I made a cleat on the underside of the cabinets that holds the bottom up & also put cleats on the sides for holding it up there. I attached the cleats to the aluminum walls with riv-nuts. I had a piece of aluminum bent to match the angle of the ceiling to the angle of the front of the cabinets & hung it from there too. Vernon had a good idea of making a small "scaffold" to use under the large cabinet. That really helped me out (since I hung it myself) and kept me from having to hurry while installing them. I think I could hang my body from them & they wouldn't fall. They're really secure up there!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Becky, I like what you have done with the cabinet over the range top. My head catches the corner of my cabinet at least once each trip. Starting to get some pretty good scar tissue built up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #379
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
This is how I handled the closet door in the back:

The bottom panel will have the aluminum screen like the door by the a/c and will be removable. The big door will have wood panels in it and has a piano hing so you can still get in the closet without having to step in the bathroom first! It'll also serve as a privacy door when getting dressed in the back of the trailer. Now for lots of sanding & varnishing and the end of cabinets is in sight!! I can't wait to clean my shop of all the dust as well as my basement, which has a thick covering of dust!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	closet door 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	178912   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet door 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	178913  

Name:	closet door 3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	178914   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet door 4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	178915  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #380
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
This is such a fabulous progression. I am just in awe.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote