Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Bambi II mystery leak

One day it will rain and the Bambi II stays dry. On another day it will rain and there is a small puddle under the left side of the galley window. We can't spot anywhere water is getting in. everything around and above the window, inside and out, is dry.
Any one have any ideas where the leak source might be?

Presumable the direction of the rain hitting the trailer is a factor on whether water will leak in.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Could be coming in somewhere else and running down in the inner skin to the window frame. Maybe roof vent?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I had migrating mystery leaks all over my Bambi II. Never did find most of them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I was lucky. Sat in mine in a downpour and all the water stayed outside :-)
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I think all Bambi IIs are infested with Manihunis, the mythical Hawaiian dwarfs.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
After tearing the Bambi II down to the studs and replacing pretty much everything and sealing the inside seams of the outer skins, I still have three aggravating leaks.

The most major one is the main door...with a new seal from VTS. I know I have to seal the door eyebrow better (water runs down behind it and it is supposed to stop the water from getting to the door seam). I am considering fabricating and adding an oversized eyebrow (deeper than original) to keep more water from the top of the door. These are often seen on older trailers- even early Bambis.

I also have leaks in the bottom corners (presumably) of the front streetside window and the small (galley) curbside window. I plan to remove all interior trim around the windows and put a nice bead of Tempro around all of the window frames inside. The streetside window leak had been there forever as far as I can tell because that is where the main floor rot was when I tore things apart. I can see light (just a speck) at the bottom rear corner of the galley window. Seems a tiny hole for a leak, but it happens.

Incidentally, with the awning extended, the main door and galley window leaks are taken care of. Just gotta keep the majority of water running down the sides and not into the critical areas.