Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
GJP
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Wichita , Kansas
Putting the '65 Caravel back together

I am getting ready to re- zolatone our gutted 65 Caravel. After pulling the belly pan, and fixing the obligatory floor sections ( which was fairly minor- surprisingly), and one rusted outrigger & cross member, I am ready to start prepping for a new zolatone interior. I purchase a new 45amp converter and fuse box from the great folks at Vintage Trailer Supply, and would like to understand how it all hooks up before I start disconnecting the old. I have the same set up as Toastie posted pics of some time ago showing how things hook up at the converter side, so I get that. I dont understand how to hook things up at the fuse box side- all the light/receptacle wiring coming out of the skin that go into the old fuse box- the one w/ the toggle switches for city/battery power, etc. Anyone have pics showing how all this hooks up to a new fuse box? I plan on having an electrician check me out, but would like to understand it better before I disconnect all that.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Original Manual

GJP-

Congrats on getting to the stage where you're rebuilding!

Would the original manual help? Chapter 11 has the original wiring diagrams. I don't think it's online anymore, but if you pm me, I'll email you a copy.

John

Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
GJP
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks John! I have copy of that, just not smart enough to figure out how it works. I want to go from what I have (on the left side of pic) to the 12V fuse panel on the right. Thought someone surely has made this exact change over
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old to new.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	101932  
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
R n B

1965 17' Caravel
1961 24' Tradewind
Ephrata , Washington
Just went through that with our 65 caravel. In my case I had the street-side outer panel off of the trailer so it made it easier to do the wiring changes. I took each wire and used a VOM and did a continuity check on each wire and labeled it on both ends 110V and 12VDC. PM me if you want more information as to what I did. Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2312.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	101947  
Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I've been watching this and waiting for Andy to chime in on this. I did the exact inverter replacment. I have not made any changes to the Univolt. But, I can't see how the inverter could charge the battery. The only time it's charged is when it's hooked to the tow. I didn't see a need to tear out the univolt, but it would be nice to have the battery maintained when your pluged in to 110 power.

Tags
caravel