Old 10-18-2005, 01:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Restoration Pictures

I just uploaded all of my restoration pictures. You can view them here - Airstream Restoration Pics

Chris

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Now that's lookin' good!

Looks like Theo helped a bit on this project.......and who's the gal who looks like she's staining the woodwork? You may need some pillows for your gaucho.....and I know someone who does custom pillows! Can't wait to see the finished project and hear how your trip x-country went!
See ya in a couple of weeks at BB

Remember to bring your Fire Dancer!

Jim & Cheryl

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
The results

Hi all, I thought I'd post the results / fruits of my labor. First the good news. The Caravel performed great on the 5041 mile maiden voyage. On the cold nights the original Hydroflame furnace kept the AS toasty inside. The original Bowen HW heater worked flawlessly. I found I can leave the HW heater lit while towing, I was surprised to find the pilot light still on after driving all day. ( I forgot to turn it off ) The AS towed great. I have no sway control or eaz-lift bars. Given that my TV weighs twice what the Caravel weighs, it had no choice but to follow ! I didn't have to use my break-away switch either ! The two 30 lb propane tanks were more than enough for the trip. The Intellipower worked great too. Kept the batt charged and I don't think the fan even came on at all. No wiring problems at all. I only had one marker light that was a little finicky about staying on. I know it is a ground issue. It is the only one that I didn't mess with and the only one still attached with the original rivits. No leaks in the rain. No tire probs. The original stove worked great but, I did something to the oven and it won't light now. The pilot lights but the main burner won't fire. No popped rivits, loose screws, etc.

The so so news,

The original Dometic worked good, but struggled when the temps outside where above 70' . The fans in the exhaust vent helped with that. I don't think it ever got above 50' in there. The pilot light did blow out once. A new refer is going to have to happen eventually. The new axle worked great but, the adjusting hardware fell apart somewhere near Milwaukee. I had to pull both drums and put everything back together and readjust the brakes. When I had the drums off I noticed the small amount of grease that Henshen put in there. Not so happy about that. I have a pressure relief valve that started leaking on the plumbing. My on-the-spot fix was to put a bolt in the drain tube. So I am looking at a little bit of plumbing work there. Plus I want to relocate the water pump so it doesn't take up so much space in the compartment. I did use my shower once. I liked having it but, I really need to figure out a better way to keep the water off of the floor. I have no idea how the shower curtain is supposed to be oriented.

The bad news, I fried my battery I bought from Steph. I had to buy a new one in Rapid City. I had left the interior lights on in the driveway before I left and it drained it down to 0 volts. Consequently, it would not hold a charge for very long. But, now the new one will hold out for a long time. When we were boondocking, the lights never got dim and we ran everything just as we would usually do when hooked up to shore power.

All in all I am very happy with my work.

What I would do differently when/if I do this again is, I would not waste time trying to repair things that obviously need to be tossed out (like the floor) .

Thats about it in a nutshell. Now I get to go camping ! Yay !

Chris
Old 10-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #74
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Congratulations Chris,

The trailer looks sweet, glad you had a great trip. To bad we missed at yellowstone though. Great pics of the restoration by the way.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #75

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Great news Chris, I'm glad you had such a successful first trip, especially after all that hard work!

Sounds like your fridge is working about as well as mine was. I replaced it with a new dometic, but I'm still having trouble getting it cold enough on hot days. It hovers near the top of the cold zone even with the fans running. I'm not sure what the problem is because Darol put the exact same fridge in another Caravel and they have no problem with it.

I can show you how the shower curtain works in our trailer. Ask me to show you at BB. We've used our shower quite a bit, and the curtain works great when you get it set up right.

Bummer about the battery!

I miss my hydroflame heater, it was so quiet, and kept the trailer cozy warm. The new Atwood keeps us warm, but it has a loud fan.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #76
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I dont claim to be a fridge expert, however, I suspect the issue may have to do with the quality of vent air flow behind the fridge. Increasing air flow might verry well result in cooler temps. If it were me, I would check to make sure the vents are free of obstructions (birds nest and what have you) and if that doesnt work maybe a booster fan. I can say I have a new dometic and while it takes it a while to get up to speed, I have to keep it turned low to keep things from getting to cold.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #77
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Time for a new project Chris....?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Time for a new project Chris....?
LoL, Funny you should say that.........if I had the room........I would have bought or at least tried to buy that CCruiser on ebay. With 2 doors ! very cool indeed !

But, I have a convertible I need to finish and a boat that needs a new motor and upholstery. So I think I am covered for a couple more years in the project department.

Plus a 75 year old house that needs new plumbing
Old 10-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I dont claim to be a fridge expert, however, I suspect the issue may have to do with the quality of vent air flow behind the fridge. Increasing air flow might verry well result in cooler temps. If it were me, I would check to make sure the vents are free of obstructions (birds nest and what have you) and if that doesnt work maybe a booster fan. I can say I have a new dometic and while it takes it a while to get up to speed, I have to keep it turned low to keep things from getting to cold.
Hi Rodney, The vents are clear and I installed two 50 cfm fans in the top of the vent duct. They did drop the inside temp of the fridge about 10 deg. on hot days. I also but baffles in there to eliminate the dead air space above the fridge. I tried to seal the compartment up as best I could with the time I had left before my trip. I know it is working good. I have frost on the outside of the freezer compartment. I can make ice cubes as well, on not so hot days. I am goin to try one of those circulating fans on the inside to move the air around in there. On an average day 60 to 70 deg it'll be about 40 to 45 in there. It goes to low flame at that point. I have it set at #4 on the dial. I expect if I fiddle with it a bit more, it will hold out another couple years.

Chris
Old 10-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Congratulations Chris,

The trailer looks sweet, glad you had a great trip. To bad we missed at yellowstone though. Great pics of the restoration by the way.
Thanks Rodney, Its all good ! We both enjoyed our time there, thats the important thing. I did camp next to another couple with a early 80's AS from Texas down at Mammoth Hot Springs. They were not the party animals that Theo and I are, lol ! Early to bed, bah, not us. They were very nice tho.

Chris
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
New to me Range

Hi all, I just wanted to post a thank you to Darol Ingalls for hooking me up with a new range. It is pretty dang cool.

Project 2k5 continues on !

albeit a much much slower pace .

Out with the old In with the new
Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
I have a question

Yesterday I was taking off the old WBCCI numbers and all the silicone that someone else put on there. I took off my Airstream placard above the rear window and found a lot of corrosion under it.

My question is, when I put this back on do I seal it around the edges or do I leave it open so the water can run behind it and off the trailer ?

Should I coat the affected area with something before I put the placard back on ?

Larger View
Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
So I got this far with my corrision problem. I went over it with emory cloth and two passes with some polish I have. The pits are still there but it looks much better.

I also got another small project done today. I put on a stinky slinky storage tube.

I think I am in for it now. I started to polish on Saturday. I stripped the clearcoat off on one panel. I did two passes by hand with some polish I have. I am thinking I am going to get a right angle polisher to do the rest. My arms got a little sore . Doesn't look to bad eh ?

There are a few more pics here, at the end of the set.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Chris - you know you've opened up a can o' worms you can never put the lid back on . It looks great - are you going to have it finished by Beverly Beach?

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote