Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #41
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Chris - we have toyed with the idea of removing the AC unit as well. We have NEVER used it (other than testing). You could put in another Vent or maybe a periscope......

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Janet, I don't think I will be putting the a/c unit back on. I have been looking at the maxxair vents and fantastic fans for a replacement. I could never sleep with the a/c on anyway. It is wayy too loud. If I ever do put one back on it will be a penguin low profile unit and laurelhurst heating and cooling with be doing the job.
Other news : I picked up my brand new aluminum refer scoop yesterday ! It looks pretty sweet ! and it'll last forever. I'll post some pics tonight. Have to go shag the rest of my parts today. Then it is put it back together time ! yay !

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #43

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good for you, Chiris, it's getting down to the wire! We're counting the days until Trout Lake!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
I'll be there with the Caravel if I have to sleep on the floor ! lol I am thinkin I won't have the water tank in by then but eveything else will be in. Time will tell.

Chris

12 days and counting
Old 07-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Good News

I have the belly pan done ! yay ! what a job. Steph, you were right. It IS tricky. I had help today, my best friend Theo came over and helped out. I had him level the floor out so I can put down the vinyl tommorrow, hopefully. He put on my furnace exhaust and caulked all the seams from the inside for me. I have my new fridge vent, it looks great. I have to slightly modify the cabinetry for it but it will never crack like the old abs one. I did a bit of polishing under the Caravel emblem before I put it back on. Wow, can't wait to polish the whole trailer. Tomorrow, wiring and walls on ! I have all my white rivets painted almond. lol Thats about it for now. New pics are in the usual place.

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My advice is to put in carpet, at least temporarily. I have had to pull mine up a couple times to do extra work, and removing it helped me find a leak in the water pipes I reinstalled. Are you putting in wall to wall vinyl? I understand then you need it to go under the furniture so you'd have to put it in first.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Hi Steph, yes I am doing wall to wall vinyl. Goin to put the furniture back in next Sunday. Kinda down to the wire huh ? I gotta put my fridge back in too, where would I store the beer ?

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Hi Leo, My vent costs me 248.70. 4 pittsburg seams, made out of .032 Aluminum. The tab for mounting under the counter is built in on this one too. I you need more info, email or pm me. I can give you all the specs.

Chris
Old 07-10-2005, 01:38 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
A quick update

I have walls now ! I put in all but the front panel and the ceiling. My neighbor is coming over tomorrow to help with that. I have the floor ready to lay out the vinyl on it. I have all of the wiring done ( in the walls ), new insulation installed, and I actually put something away last week. My slinky ! Yep, I have the rear bumper compartment completed. I won't be done by the Trout Lake rally but, I will be able to sleep in it ! I hope to have the 12 v working and the galley/bath in by then. Time will tell. It is good to know that I didn't tweak anything by putting in a new floor. Things seem to be going back together fairly easily. All the holes line up for the most part. Lucky me ! I got 18 bucks for the old axle and belly pan at the scrapyard today. The axle is at its final resting place. lol. Pics tomorrow night.

Chris
Old 07-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Making progress

This weekend I put in all the interior panels. It is really nice to have that out of the way now. I also finished up my 110v wiring, new load center, and a central GFCI for all of the outlets. It was much easier than putting GFCIs in the small boxes that fit in the walls for the bath and galley. I plugged it into the garage and eveything worked great ! I prewired for a new 3 way fridge too if I get one. I also prewired for a stereo system and accent lighting along the floor. I decided to run a propane line in the streetside wall for a gas lamp over the table. I really liked having one in my other TT, so I will be putting one in here at some point. The next thing on the agenda is glue the vinyl flooring down. I hope to get this done tomorrow night. Then I can turn my sights on putting the bath and the cabinetry back in.

I won't have it all done by the Troutlake Rally, but it will be presentable anyway. I am really looking forward to having a weekend off from working on the AS ( I have been working on it nonstop for 3 + months ) and just taking it out !
Old 07-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
This weekend I put in all the interior panels. It is really nice to have that out of the way now. I also finished up my 110v wiring, new load center, and a central GFCI for all of the outlets. It was much easier than putting GFCIs in the small boxes that fit in the walls for the bath and galley. I plugged it into the garage and eveything worked great ! I prewired for a new 3 way fridge too if I get one. I also prewired for a stereo system and accent lighting along the floor. I decided to run a propane line in the streetside wall for a gas lamp over the table. I really liked having one in my other TT, so I will be putting one in here at some point. The next thing on the agenda is glue the vinyl flooring down. I hope to get this done tomorrow night. Then I can turn my sights on putting the bath and the cabinetry back in.

I won't have it all done by the Troutlake Rally, but it will be presentable anyway. I am really looking forward to having a weekend off from working on the AS ( I have been working on it nonstop for 3 + months ) and just taking it out !
Cj, things are looking really in your rig. nice work. Where do you find the gas lamp you were talking about? I may want to follow suit on that idea.
thanks
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Gas Lamp - Makin Progress

Hi albert, I am getting my lamp from Curtis Trailers here in town I think. They have a nice chrome one, but tis kinda spendy.

I have the vinyl flooring down, hot water heater in, cold water line in, wheel well covers on. I tried my hand at flaring tubing today. Next time I will have to remember to put the fittings on BEFORE I flare the tubing ! lol It's a learning process. No water system this trip, oh well ya can't have everything I guess. I am going to try to get the fridge in and working and the 12 volt lighting working before the Troutlake Rally this weekend. I am taking a day off from work I think on Friday to make sure I have the time to get those two things done. Wish me luck ! See you all on Friday night.

Chris
Old 07-14-2005, 06:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
How does this lamps compare with the ones sold here: http://www.gas-lights.com/interior.html ? I have been looking at these lamps for a while, but DH is concerned about the fire risk. So, probably we won't get it, though I love the look--and the light.

Would love to see yours in pix!

Mary
Old 07-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
I had to do it

I took my Caravel to the rally in Troutlake. I had no bath, no kitchen, no couch or gaucho but I tell ya what. It was fun anyway !! The 12 v lights worked great ! lol. My friend and I slept on the cushions from the seats on the floor. It was quite comfortible. At least I know that I don't have to replace the foam !

To anyone considering getting a new axle, DO IT ! It was money well spent. The difference in towing was night and day. I hardly knew it was back there. I set a few items out for the trip back and they were in the same spot when I got home. Thru curves and stops. I am amazed by the difference. There is no way that could have happened with the old axle, trust me. I put new radial tires on too for the trip. Just a shorty about 150 miles round trip. No loosening of the rivets and no problems what so ever from what I have done so far. That, is a great feeling.

I did loose the only thing I didn't replace. The plastic cover for the roof vent. Lost it on the way back.

I received great reviews from what I have done so far. Thanks for the encouragement from all who attended. The weekend before all I had was ribs and wiring. I managed to get the insulation in, interior skin on, trim on, curtains on, water heater installed, battery installed, and the 12 v lighting finished up b4 the rally. In just a week.

The next thing to go in will be the bath. I am starting that part of the project this coming weekend. Wish me luck, I am hoping for a trouble free install !
Old 07-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Dry fit of the shower pan

I have the shower pan in the AS now. My garage is getting more space as the days go on ! It is a dry fit at the moment. I have to make sure everything lines up and fits together. I have the cold water lines all in and the hot water lines in. Working on putting the sewer lines in now. Since I changed the type of fittings from Thetford to Valterra things fit a little bit differently, so I am dryfitting all of the sewerlines at the moment. They didn't get an exact match of the gelcoat on the showerpan, they told me it may be slightly different than the top half. The pics make it look far worse than it really is. Overall I am pretty happy with it.

I have all the Thetford fittings available for sale.

2 caps
Dumpvalve
cap attaching ring that glues to the 3" pipe
extra handle with retainer clips
1 Slinky hose fitting

On another note, since I lost my roof vent cover. I need to get a replacement for the Heir roof vent. Has anyone found a good replacement for that type of roof vent ? Mine has a fan in it, with the two thumbscrews to raise and lower it. I would just assume keep it and put a new vent cover on. Any ideas ?

That's it for now !

Chris
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
I have the shower pan in the AS now. My garage is getting more space as the days go on ! It is a dry fit at the moment. I have to make sure everything lines up and fits together. I have the cold water lines all in and the hot water lines in. Working on putting the sewer lines in now. Since I changed the type of fittings from Thetford to Valterra things fit a little bit differently, so I am dryfitting all of the sewerlines at the moment. They didn't get an exact match of the gelcoat on the showerpan, they told me it may be slightly different than the top half. The pics make it look far worse than it really is. Overall I am pretty happy with it.

I have all the Thetford fittings available for sale.

2 caps
Dumpvalve
cap attaching ring that glues to the 3" pipe
extra handle with retainer clips
1 Slinky hose fitting

On another note, since I lost my roof vent cover. I need to get a replacement for the Heir roof vent. Has anyone found a good replacement for that type of roof vent ? Mine has a fan in it, with the two thumbscrews to raise and lower it. I would just assume keep it and put a new vent cover on. Any ideas ?

That's it for now !

Chris
things are shaping up! nice work!
I am wondering if you are using something that I NEED? I am doing a similar project in my bath and need a trim moulding, both for the floor and to seam SS to the fiberglass top liner. Something with a "C" shape that fits over one type of siding to seal and clean up the two pieces coming together. Know where something like this can be found?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Hi albert, I do have a piece like that. I just haven't put it on there yet. I have no idea where you could find on either. Just a thought, what about using some of that automotive trim stuff to put over the edge of the fiberglass. It is more of a 'u' shape but it might work. It comes in rolls. You should be able to get it a most any autoparts store or a auto acc. store.

Chris
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Hi albert, I do have a piece like that. I just haven't put it on there yet. I have no idea where you could find on either. Just a thought, what about using some of that automotive trim stuff to put over the edge of the fiberglass. It is more of a 'u' shape but it might work. It comes in rolls. You should be able to get it a most any autoparts store or a auto acc. store.

Chris
Yes, thats the stuff. It is "U" shaped. I didnt think of automotive, but I know they will have it! And probably in silver too. How about "L" shaped moulding, like for the floor to keep water out. I just wish someone would have ALL of these trim pieces, but it feels like a scavenger hunt.
thanks so much.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Good News

I thought I'd share some good news from today. I hooked up and pressure tested my water lines today and I only had two leaks. One was fixed by tightening the fitting and the other is goin to take some re-engineering to fix but other than that all worked well ! The water heater did not leak at all. I was a little worried about that since I took it all apart and hadn't tested it since I put it back in the AS. The sewer lines have no leaks either. I do need to finish up my dump valve fittings. Then I can fully test for leaks in the sewer lines.

The RV store had my toilet flange seal in stock and I am happy to say that it is in and it works flawlessly. It holds water in the bowl and flushes great. No leaks at the base either.

I hooked up the propane and tested the water heater. I have no propane leaks. I capped the open ports for the fridge, stove and furnace. I cycled the water heater three times and it works great as well. That new NOS burner tube makes a huge difference in the way the heater functions. It lights itself easily now. I did have to adjust the air mixture to get a good flame, but other than that I think it will work for a few more years.

Onto another note, I have gotten enough stuff out of my garage that I actually got my jet boat out last weekend just to keep me sane ! lol.

It is an 18ft Jencraft with a 455 olds in it. It's a go fast boat

Chris
Old 08-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Update on project 2k5

Well I bet you all thought I had given up ! Just took a little breather. Had some fun goin water skiing etc.. My friend Theo and his house mate Marcia came over last weekend and gave me a hand with the woodworking. We rebuilt the kitchen cabinet frame work. Repaired the streetside couch and put in one closet. Marcia stained the woodwork for me. It looks pretty damn good to me. I'll be working on it some more this weekend, hopefully getting the rest of the cabinets in.

On another note, I just got my '95 f-250 out of the shop to the tune of 950 bucks ! The right exhaust manifold was warped and had broken off 2 studs in the cylinder head , Replaced axle seal, changed rear end oil, flushed transmission(new filter,clean pan,no chunks in there !), adjusted rear brakes. All in preparation of the big trip this fall. Since I haven't really done anything to the truck in 5 years, aside from regular maintenance, I feel I got off pretty lucky.

Thats about it for now.

Chris