Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Costs update

Well I added up the costs so far. The total so far is $3848.77 All of the major purchases are done with. I figure another 200 bucks in plumbing fittings and hardware. Oh yea, a new refer vent, ack. Its good to keep a tally tho, when it comes time to sell and step up to a longer AS. Just an fyi for anyone thinking of doing a resto/full monty.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good job, Chris, you're really into it elbow deep, aren't you? I just checked out your pictures, I didn't realize you took out all you interior panels, ceiling and all. That's a great opportunity to get everything sealed up and rewired if it needs it. It's also a possibility you could go completely nuts and CCD-ify the interior (replace all the interior panels with bare aluminum) ala the Winick Caravel.

Vintage Trailering's 68 Caravel (if you haven't seen it before, click on the tiny pictures to be impressed)

Keep up the great work!

BTW, looking at your pictures, your WH burner is exactly like the one I had replaced.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Hi Stef, Yes I am elbow deep in it, lol. Getting close to the top of my spending limit. So no CCD'ing my AS. It'll be comfy and thats the main thing. I have seen that site, what a great job on that Caravel. woweee ! Maybe down the road I can get another AS and try that.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Well I got the back two sections of floor in today ! Sure feels good to have that done. I repaired my curbside wheel well, sealed the bottom of the floor before I put it in, sealed the back bumper area, put one more coat of sterling silver on the rear bumper. I also sealed up my wheel wells. I must say it is very solid in there now. It feels different than before, when I walk in there. I still have to make new wraps for the back corners before I can rivit everything back up. I am hoping the front two sections will be easier to put in. There isn't as much repair work that has to be done before I put the floor in. I get my shower enclosure back next week. yay! New pics in the photos section.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Started polishing

Here are a couple shots on the Caravel today...also look at the Vintage Tow vehicle thread...a 65 pulling a 65!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravel Polish1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	12176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravel Polish2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	12177  

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
wow, now I know what mine will look like ! When I get to that point. It's a job for tomorrow man, lol.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
This is what I got done today

I have gotten 100% of the cleaning done. yay ! Something is finished, lol. I removed the front two sections of floor today, the old insulation, cleaned and prepped the frame for paint. All of the interior panels have been cleaned now. Did that yesterday. The good news is that I don't need anymore welding done. Everything up front is solidly in place. I do have to make a new "u" channel. The short section by the door is cracked in three places. I am thinking I better just replace it rather than do a repair. The back two sections of the floor are completely bolted in now. The small things I did were, finish up my tailights, license lamp bracket, and put a new hose on my shower wand along with a thumb operated on/off switch. I did some shopping while it was pouring rain on Saturday. Gotta love HD ! I bought my closed cell foam insulation for the floor, new faucets, new 110v electrical box, new circuit breakers, and new drains for the kitchen, bath, and shower. I also am going to install an outlet behind the fridge for when the old one I have dies. That way I don't have to tear everything apart later, when I get a 100v/12v/gas fridge. I am still thinking on what exactly to do about a holding tank. Mine is DOA. Thinking maybe make one out of plywood and fiberglass, put one under the rear end, or buy one that is premade. The jury is still out on this one. I have new pics in the members photos section.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
A quick note, the frame work is done ! All painted and welded. One more thing to check off the list.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
I have a new floor !!

Oh my oh my, how wonderful it is to have a new floor back in the Caravel. I still have to make new corner pieces for the belly pan and then I can permanently attach the skin back to the floor. I also put in about 2/3 rds of my insullation under the floor. I routed my new 12v cable for the running lights as well. Felling a bit less overwhelmed now. I am taking most of the day off from the AS tomorrow. I need a break now, a little r & r is in order. Pics of the progess in the members photos section.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Update on 2k5

Last weekend I finished the insulation under the main part of the floor. I completely rewired the 12v wiring for the brakes and running lights. The old wire was so brittle, if you bent it the insulation would crack and fall off. Can't have that ! I plugged it in to the TV and everything work as it supposed to, how cool is that ? The lights seem to be brighter too. I am taking the day off work Wednesday to pick up my new belly pan material. I found a truck trailer repair place that will sell me .040 aluminum for 11.55 a foot. So I can have a solid belly pan with no seams, aside from the outer skin attaching. They use it for roofs on semi trailers so I think it will make excellent belly pan material. Next weekend I hope to put the axle on and the corner pieces + the rest of the outer insulation, then the underside will be done, aside from the plumbing. Things are clicking right along. Sorry I didn't take any pics this time around. Had my nose to the grindstone.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Today was a big day on 2k5

I started the day off with going to get my belly pan material. I found a truck trailer repair place that had 103 inch wide by as long as you wanted aluminum sheet stock. It is .040, which is a good thickness for the underside. Then I was off to the RV store to look for ideas about my holding tank issue and to do some more thinking about the plumbing. I didn't take my tank so I had to go back home to get it as they wanted to see it. On the way home I stopped by Laurelhurst Heating and cooling. They are an outfit here in Portland that installs appliances in RV's. I scored a new burner tube for my Bowen HW heater. How cool is that !!? I also bought a new stove there as mine is nearly dead, another score. I bought a new Wedgewood. It is a scratch and dent. Only Paid 200 bucks for it !

So I went home got my holding tank and went to a plastics outfit to see what they could do. No luck, they only work with acrylics. Too brittle for my application. They did turn me onto a place that does custom work with plastics. They are called Apex Inc. I stopped in there and talked to Todd. He was very informative. The good news is they can make me a tank for a reasonable price, exactly like mine (well not exactly, lol, better !) . The bad news is they need to have the fittings so they can match the plastics for a really good bond. Since I had no idea what I was going to do yet, I don't have the fittings to give them. So once I get the fittings I'll go forward with that. I'll get them this weekend and take it in next week so they can get started on it.

For the forum members here, once they have the tank made it will easy to duplicate. So when I get the finished product I will let you all know how it turns out. I could assist in getting more tanks made there if there is an intrest in that.

Soo, back home with my stuff. I got the new bellypan cut out today. It is all one solid piece with no seams in the middle. Looks great ! I installed the bellypan part way. I discovered that I need to do a few more things up front before I put it on all the way. I also got my new axle put on. It fits well too ! I had to drill new holes in the axle flanges, Andy said I would have to do this. The shocks fit great too. Everything clears and no other modifications are necessary.

Soo all in all a very productive day indeed ! New pics of it all in the members photos.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Posted a few new pics. Most of what I have done has been chasing down materials and vendors to get a holding tank and a new refer scoop. Luckily today, I managed to find both and they are in the works. I am getting a new plastic holding tank and a metal fridge scoop. Both cheaper than repros. the fridge scoop will be aluminum, maybe I could polish it...hmmmm

Chris
Old 06-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You're making fantastic progress Chris, don't you ever work Seriously, I love reading your updates - can't wait to see the trailer in person. Do you still think it will be ready to go by Trout Lake?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Hi Steph, I plan on bringing it to Trout Lake. I may not have a few things done but it will be road ready by then. I will probably be sleeping on the floor in there, lol. I have a couple more somewhat difficult, time consuming jobs left to do before the easier stuff gets going. I do work too, about 40 to 50 hrs a week. I sleep well at night ! Thanks for the encouragement.