Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
Our '65 Caravel Update.............

Well, spring has arrived and we finally have taken apart much of Bunny. My DH was struggling (all weekend) with the new axle. That old one didn't want to let go! He finally got it off last night, but thinks he may have lost one of the shock mounts. (More fun!) I've been working on the interior and am finished with the cushions. They turned out nicely and I'm on to the curtains or drapes. Of course, my list of things to do isn't nearly as long as his. So far, we've discovered the floor is in pretty good condition with only a couple of bad spots. The electrical is good. The stove works and the fridge we haven't tried. I would be afraid to use the furnace. The water system is questionable and the toilet and tank are in pieces. Everythings just about what we expected These are my only pics as my daughter took my camera to school and hasn't brought it back!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Good luck with it!

funhouse-

Smart move on the heater -- some bad stories floating around here about them.

You do know about how dangerous the original Caravel axles are, don't you?

The woodwork looks like it will finish up really well in that trailer.

Good look with her!

John

Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
Well, spring has arrived and we finally have taken apart much of Bunny. My DH was struggling (all weekend) with the new axle. That old one didn't want to let go! He finally got it off last night, but thinks he may have lost one of the shock mounts. (More fun!) I've been working on the interior and am finished with the cushions. They turned out nicely and I'm on to the curtains or drapes. Of course, my list of things to do isn't nearly as long as his. So far, we've discovered the floor is in pretty good condition with only a couple of bad spots. The electrical is good. The stove works and the fridge we haven't tried. I would be afraid to use the furnace. The water system is questionable and the toilet and tank are in pieces. Everythings just about what we expected These are my only pics as my daughter took my camera to school and hasn't brought it back!
Check out the water tank.

The one you have is one of the original types and they were famous for having cracks at the fittings.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
We haven't attempted to hook up the water yet! My dh did get the new axle in last weekend so we are past that!! Now we are looking at the toilet, which is in pieces. We found out that someone attempted to repair/replace the black tank back in 1991, but never finished it because it doesn't fit (the tank is square). There is no hole in the tank and the store stickers are still on it. Poor Bunny has been sitting since 1991 waiting.......
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The original caravel heater is essentially a stove burner in a coffee can - and when it works, it's fantastic. It keeps the trailer warm, and it's virtually silent. Unfortunately our started giving us trouble and was harder and harder to light, we were always down on our hands an knees trying to get it to catch. Then one day 'boom!' right in my face - made my ears ring! And that was the last of the heater. No one will work on them, so I replaced it with a new heater. The new heater is noisy, and uses 12v to run the fan, so it's not as boondocking friendly. but it's safe and runs off a thermostat and works every time you throw the switch to turn it on. But still, I miss the old heater!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
Hi Stephanie, I know what you mean about the new heaters! We had an Atwood in our pop-up and every time it kicked on, it would wake me up! We've been using something called a "milk house heater" for years but it's electric so won't be used when boon docking either. Your post has me entertaining the idea of refurbishing the original heater (or only camping in warm weather!) we are thinking of buying a new toilet. Any advice? Thanks to all for their posts! I should add the woodwork is beautiful!!! I guess that's why I wanted an old one to begin with.

Tags
caravel