Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Our '65 Caravel Restoration

I am getting deeper into the restoration of our 1965 Caravel and want to document some as I go along here. We bought ours just a couple of months ago and I am getting a slow, but thorough start. Currently, I am in the tear down mode and it's starting to get into the more complex part of frame and floor work. Just like others here, when I first got this camper I thought I would just do some cleanup and start camping in it. The more I take apart, the more I realize I need to keep going. So, what started as a fix-up is turning into more of a "full monte". We'll see how it goes from here. Some great threads that I have been reading are from 65CV, Cjohnson, and Modarch. They have all done a great job on their Caravels! Thanks for the inspiration.

So, I have taken most of the belly pan off to expose the frame. I did cut the pan under the front hitch because I didn't want to have to take off the banana wrap, but I may end up doing that anyway... especially if I have to replace the floor. I have taken out the Gouchos, Fridge, Stove, Furnace and am working on taking out the counter and closets. The bath will be next as I want to expose the floor and refinish the bath outside the camper. My intent was to patch the floor, but as I read others like Cjohnsons posts I realize that will probably turn into full floor replacement before long.

The gouchos have been at the upholstery shop for a couple of weeks, and I just got the call today that they are ready. It is probably putting the cart before the horse, but we will just store them away until it is time to put everything back together. Sometimes it is nice to stop and pick out fabrics and the fun stuff, to keep me motivated to keep going on the real work.

That's enough for now. I will try to show some photos as I go along and want to thank everybody that has shared their experiences here. It helps others like me and I hope to return the favor here.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
We went to pick up the reupholstered gouchos over the weekend. They did a great job doing the upholstery with new foam. If you are anywhere near West Tennessee or Northern Mississippi, and need an upholstery shop you should give these guys a try. Furniture Fabrics and More in Burnsvelle, MS. Kary Peters is the owner. They buy fabrics by the semi truckload and you can't beat their prices. They have a couple of upholsterers on staff, so they are a full service shop. Great work at a reasonable price.

I got the rest of the counter out and both closets this weekend. Now I will finish tearing out the bathroom.

Look for photos just uploaded that documents things from the first day till now pretty well. See them here...

Member's Photos - Photo Gallery

More later!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
Congrats on your new project. We bought our Caravel (Bunny) last year and are having lots of fun with it in between fixing. Last year was a new axle, tires, cushions, curtains, toilet, and lights. This year it is getting new plumbing including both sinks and the shower. Future work will include new tiles for the floor, polishing, and a new refridge. I'm sure the list is endless.
We are still taking it everywhere including two trips last year and we just returned from a week camping along Route 66 (and boy was it HOT)! More camping trips to come
Happy Trails to you
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We LOVE our Caravel! Good luck in your restoration. I had mine that far apart at one time. Now it's been together and no trouble at all for a few years. That's the fun part!

Anyone who has Caravels and Miatas is alright in my book (I've had 3 Miatas myself!)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Thanks Funhouse! It sounds like you are enjoying yours as you do the restoration. We decided we were going to try to do most of the restoration before camping in it. It was really too nasty to just start using it, so we had to at least start the process. I may give in when we start getting it back together, but the idea was to continue to use our popup until the Caravel is ready. I have estimated a year for the project. The rate I am going it may take longer though.

I bet that Route 66 trip was a lot of fun. We have been on part of it, although not in a camper. Would like to do that in the Airstream some day!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Anyone who has Caravels and Miatas is alright in my book (I've had 3 Miatas myself!)
They are great vehicles and too much fun! Will be doing "The Dragon" with about 350 other Miatas at the end of this month. Can't wait!

The Caravel will have to wait until we get back. Thanks for the feedback and stay tuned...
Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Got the bathroom out today, photos in my gallery. I couldn't figure out how to get the black tank loose, so it came out with the fiberglass. Anybody have any ideas how to remove it? I think it has a leak, so I will need to separate it to repair or replace it.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I tried a little harder tonight and got the black tank loose. The flange had silicone under it to keep it from turning. I took a putty knife and ran underneath the flange all the way around until i was able to start turning to break it loose. It then turned fairly easily. The black tank has perviously been repaired but it seems to have a leak, so I am thinking it may be beyond repairing again. I may be in for a new one.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thanks for the tip on the upholstery shop...we have not made much progress on locating anything that looks good. We may have to make a trip up there.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
I tried a little harder tonight and got the black tank loose. The flange had silicone under it to keep it from turning. I took a putty knife and ran underneath the flange all the way around until i was able to start turning to break it loose. It then turned fairly easily. The black tank has perviously been repaired but it seems to have a leak, so I am thinking it may be beyond repairing again. I may be in for a new one.
If yours is the same plastic that we had, chuck it! I think the black and fresh water tanks were the same plastic. We tried to reuse the fresh and it cracked and leaked about 1000 miles from home. Luckily it was on top, so we could limp home.

I can only imagine the black tank doing the same.

Glad you found out why it was hard to remove.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Oh, yea. If you replace it, look carefully at CJohnson's idea. He enlarged the tank by using space at the bottom of the closet.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Oh, yea. If you replace it, look carefully at CJohnson's idea. He enlarged the tank by using space at the bottom of the closet.
Thanks! I do remember reading his idea. I'll take another look. I'll have to see where he got his tank.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Trailer Has Legs!

It's been a while since I have posted here, but I have done a good amount of work, so here is an update...

As the title and photo suggest, the back floor is out! So, I managed to get the water heater and furnace out, then the back floor. I now have the rear frame exposed. I knew I had a couple of outriggers that were mangled because of a tire blowout from the PO, but I didn't know that some of the welds on the frame were cracked. So, now I know. One of the beams is totally separated from the frame.

Sunday was a good day as I have been emailing a sculpture teacher at the college where my wife works. He came over and looked at the frame Sunday evening and I think he is going to be able to do the repairs. I am so glad that he thinks he can do the job! Two of the cross members have holes and do not look to be worth saving, so he is going to replace these with new beams. He is going to fabricate 4 new outriggers and weld everything into place.

Photo 1: Legs
Photo 2: Frame
Photo 3: Mangled Outriggers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0381.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	165829   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0387.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	165830  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0389.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	165831  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
Thanks! I do remember reading his idea. I'll take another look. I'll have to see where he got his tank.
And while you're doing that, since you have the fiberglass out already, put a grey tank on the other side under the sink. Plumb the bathroom and kitchen pipes into it. Then you'll really be a happy camper, and all the other Caravels will be jealous!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Lexington , South Carolina
Jewel65, keep the updates coming. I did the same work last Winter on my Caravel and these post are giving me flash backs! Just so you know, it is all worth it. We are enjoying are little Caravel this Summer more than we thought we would of!

I have a quick question for you Stefrobrts, if you put the grey tank under the sink will the shower drain to it? I have a 65 Caravel that I'm about 80% done with and was going to add the grey tank in the frame this Fall. Your idea seems easier, but I'm concerned about the shower plumbing.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Have thought about a grey tank there. Maximus, I can't see how the shower would empty into it if it is above the floor, but maybe Stefrobrts will chime in. I do think it would be worth it just for the sinks though. Any ideas what vendor makes one to fit there? I am thinking of using Apex for the black tank like CJohnson did. I suppose they could make a grey one too. It's pricey though.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Lexington , South Carolina
My black tank was good along w/my fresh water tank....I was very lucky! As of now I'm planning on getting two grey tanks from Vintage Trailer Supply that will fit in between the frame rails. That will be 30 gallons of grey water.

I'm glad I held off a season before installing the grey tank. I was originally only going to install one 15 gallon tank. My wife and I really enjoy SC State Parks and most of them don't have sewage. The 15 just wouldn't of met our needs.

Enjoy the ride!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
The caravel frame is 3" so that tank will have to hang down below the frame by 3/4". Are you just going to leave the belly pan off back there? I'm still debating the options, so all ideas are on the table.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
You can easily and very neatly drop the belly pan the needed additional amount by bending aluminum into a Z or C shape depending on the orientation needed. The top leg sits on the frame below the floor then hangs down and the bottom leg becomes the base to which you rivet your belly pan. My 55 actually came from the factory this way and held up very well. I think the aluminum "rib" flexes better than the steel frame and the rivets actually stayed attached better. If you can't picture it I will see if I can find a photo somewhere
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
So, I have not updated things here lately, but progress has been happening, just not as quickly as I would like. I did not do much work on the trailer during the winter. The spring is off to a slow start too as it has been raining a lot. My work does not allow me as much time as I would like either. However, some progress is happing.

Last fall the frame was fixed by my welder friend with several new outriggers and a couple of new cross members. The metal replacement was thicker than original, so it is nice and stiff now. I have new flooring in the rear now and have started to bolt it down. I added lots of Trempro in the back between the skin and bumper so there should be no leaks back there now. All of the rear frame, new and old has several coats of Por 15 now. I just received three 4x12 sheets of .032 5002-32 aluminum to replace the belly pan when it all goes back together. I'll need a piece to form a new banana wrap in the back pretty soon, so I just ordered it all at one time. I was not going to remove the flooring in the front, but the back is looking so good I might just tackle the front while I'm at it. I can access the frame better to get all the rust out if I do that.

I thought long and hard about gray water tanks, but I just cannot see the benefits of adding them. If I added tanks above the axle some piping would need to go through a cross member. With a 3" frame, I just don't see where it would be strong enough once the hole was cut. If it was above the floor the shower would not empty into it. So, I am thinking I will use the trailer as it was originally designed and take along a blue-boy if needed. We are use to a pop-up camper with no tanks or bathroom, so it will still be a move up for us.

I hope to get some major work done in the next few weeks. In order to help with motivation we went down to our local WBCCI unit as they were having a rally close by. We met some very nice folks. We weren't camping, but we talked with them and they signed me up as a member! Now I have to get this thing finished, so we can use our membership before the year is out! I am hoping for mid to late summer now as a campable trailer date. More to come...

Tags
caravel