Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Unhappy My first Airstream-Caravel

Well I have had my AS for two weeks now and have managed to take most of the interior out. I have taken off all of the old flooring. I found that termites, have, at one time, found their way into the floor. It doesn't seem too bad, as they only seem to have gotten into the first layer of plywood and the floor seems solid still. The only area of actual rot that I found is right at the front door. That will have to be replaced/patched( about a 6" x 6" area ). I will probably just use floor leveler when I put down new flooring. I have installed a new converter. That was a good idea, I am finding out already ! I have ordered a new water tank as the old one has seen better days. Lots of repairs on this one. Why temp fate just bite the bullet and get a new one. I have it on order now. I increased the size from 30 gal to 45. I am going to have to modify the front gaucho to get it to fit. After everything is back in you won't be able to tell I have done anything to it. The next thing is the axle. The old one is completely shot. No spring at all plus the lower shock mounts are gone. I am hoping this isn't going to be a major problem. While the old one is off I am going to take off the belly pan. It is worn out and sagging in many places. I know the story too, "taking off the belly-pan often results in the full monty" I am goin to resist this for now ! Well thats about it for now. I will have more pics after this weekend. Check out my pics in the members photos section.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hey, that looks so familiar! Good job on your work so far. Seems like digging in and taking care of it up front is the way to go. You'll be camping in no time.

Have you looked into sealing the exterior seams to stop any leaks it might have? I've noticed a lot of old trailers have had that neglected over the years.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Yes I have, I bought a bottle of 3M silicone remover that seems to work pretty well. I don't think that the seams leak. I do think that the vent pipes leak and the stove vent. The a/c unit is also suspect too. I can't find any rot around the perimeter so far. BTW, I am thinkin I can get to BGL in April. I am not sure if it will be with the Turtle in tow. Maybe just for the day or something.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
BTW, The PO gooped silicone all over. I have been reading up on the methods of doing a professional resealing job on it.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Argggh! Sorry to hear about the silicone, that's a pain to get off. Lots of people find that, so you're not alone. I resealed with parbond. It seems to have worked really well. I had some leaks and managed to stop them. I used Vulkem around the vents. We crawled all over the trailer until we'd stopped every seam leak.

That would be great if you could make it to BG, even without the trailer. You're welcome to just swing by and visit.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Hey C Johnson, welcome to the Caravel Owner's Club. (You're already a member!)

Sounds like you are taking the right approach on the refurb. Just a couple of thoughts:

1) Why use floor leveler? If you are going to install carpet, Marmoleum, or laminate, you probably don't need to. Just curious.
2) With the added size of the water tank, you've potentially increased the overall weight by (15 gallons x 8 lb/gal = 120). Since Caravels as designed by the factory don't have much cargo carrying capacity (about 400 lbs), you may want to consider keeping the tank less than full while towing. When you get the floor out in front you'll see how thin the frame members are.
3) Are you going to add a gray tank while you are at it?

Good luck!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Weather and the Caravel

My Caravel is in the barn, awaiting me to come work on her. First thing is install the new Fantastic fan as there in no vent in there now. I have no AC, so no AC problems. I have to replace the Hydro as mine is shot...probably go catalytic. Then, the plumbing. And an Axle up at Colin Hydes place up in Plattsburgh...hey Rich, our Caravels will get to meet there.

And the polishing....and on and on.

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You need a new axel. Here's some info you or your axel guy will need.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11418

You have battry acid rot. You need to neutralize the area to stop the rot. Check out west marine's site for how to use their product to make a penetration epoxy.

Looks like original fridge. If it works you are a luck guy. You can not get a new one that small and to replace it will have to build out that section of counter.
Good luck
Old 03-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Battery / Hot Water

We have the same door. What size battery are you going to put back in..I could not find one that was the same size to match my battery tray. Also, what are people doing for hot water heaters to replace the original. I have the same hot water heater as you, and it's shot too. We have the same trailer, just I do not have the AC. Nice. I've got pictures on ours in our photo library.

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Yes that fridge works great. I put a digital thermometer in it last night and I read 31.5 deg F after a couple hrs of being in there. I guess I better turn it down !
Old 03-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
My hot water heater works great ! I am not going to replace it unless it kicks the bucket. I am goin to put in a group 26 deep cycle battery. I will make it fit. I threw out the old battery tray, wayyy rusted. Yes the a/c works great too, I don't care for the looks of the unit but damn its soo cold when it's on. Are you getting the idea of why I bought this unit ? Yes everything works in it, I am happy needless to say. Now I am doing a remodel so to speak.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Yes, you are correct. I do need a new axle, badly. I noticed that right away towing it home. Absolutely so spring left, none, zip, nada.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
You need a new axel. Here's some info you or your axel guy will need.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11418

You have battry acid rot. You need to neutralize the area to stop the rot. Check out west marine's site for how to use their product to make a penetration epoxy.

Looks like original fridge. If it works you are a luck guy. You can not get a new one that small and to replace it will have to build out that section of counter.
Good luck
Ok thanks for the info, I am running around shaggin parts tomorrow so I will drop by the West Marine in Delta Park.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Hey, do you want a group 27 deep cycle battery? I bought a new one last year and I just switched to a dry cell, I'll let you have the 27 for a steal.

Tags
caravel