Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Regarding the grease in the wheel bearings... it's not safe to assume the bearings were in good shape and well-packed when the trailer was parked. If moisture has found its way to the bearings over time they could be in bad shape. Ideally, they were clean and well-packed with grease when the trailer was parked there, but if not it would be much better to find that out while the trailer is sitting there than at an inconvenient time while towing it away.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Moving a trailer that sat for 30 years..

Greetings tahoe_air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe_air View Post
My truck's gvwr is about 5500 lbs which is pretty close to the trailer. The trailer is 27'. I puled a 22 footer, with a comparable weight, a couple weeks ago with out the electric brake controller hooked up (I don't have one installed yet but it would be easy enough to) and it wasn't too bad. Stopping quickly was definitely not an option.
You will likely have between 20% and 30% more weight following you with the Overlander so stopping will be even more problematic without brakes. There will also be a proportionately higher probability of overheating the tow vehicle brakes on steep down-grades without functional trailer brakes on the 27' coach.

Quote:
I will have to read up on the electrical braking system. Maybe this is a newb question, but how can you tell if the brakes are working?
Today's trailer brake controllers have a variety of methods to monitor trailer brake operation. Most of the modern controllers are "pendulum" types that have a device that senses deceleration and increases the intensity with which the trailer brakes are applied. The controller box itself has two adjustments . . . one for gain . . . and one for level adjustment. When properly adjusted, the trailer brakes apply slightly before (lead) the tow vehicle (almost as soon as you touch the tow vehicle brake pedal). There is a manual lever on most trailer brake controllers that allows you to the apply just the trailer brakes, and many utilize this as they depart a parking spot to verify that the trailer brakes are functioning. Tekonsha controllers tend to be among the more popular controllers with a number of Forum members drawn to the Prodigy or P3 controllers . . . my favorite is the Hayes-Lemmerz electronic controller with the remote manual trailer brake control option.

Quote:
Another newb question- doesn't the grease need repacking due to use(rolling)? Can it go bad just sitting?
The grease doesn't necessarily go bad, but it has been exposed to unknown years of exposure to the elements since it was last changed. Moisture contamination may have begun . . . or it may have a firm hold with attendant corossion. Servicing the wheel bearings serves a two-fold purpose . . . insuring that the bearings are sound and adequately lubricated . . . and provides you with the opportunity to inspect the brakes and make any adjustments necessary to insure good brake operation.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
folsom , California
Thanks everyone for your insight. I am trying to get the trailer out of the mountains before it snows and feel a bit rushed. It takes me an hour to get to the trailer and its on the side of a dirt road. Is it possible to just pop the dust cap off and be able to tell if there is enough grease? I watched a few of the videos on packing the bearings and it looks like it is pretty straight forward. I agree that it would be better to take care of it before I hit the road but my circumstances aren't the best. At best I can pull the bearings out, repack the one "loose" bearing, throw some extra grease on the other one and go from there.
Oh, and by the way, I think its a '69 instead of a '70. Found the "vin number?" next to the door. Says 127D9-S565 3905. From what I've read the "1" is really an "I" which makes sense since its an overlander international land yacht.
I have to make my voyage tomorrow regardless so wish me luck!! Cheers.
tahoe_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Portland , OR
I think you have a pretty good chance. Just take it easy and leave plenty of room in case you need to stop or slow. The less you have to brake the better. It wouldn't hurt to have some weight in the truck to help balance the load and you might want to check the trailer lug nuts to make sure they're tight. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck.
mytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
folsom , California
So... update. Made it home no problem. Took the back roads and avoided the freeway. Slow and steady was the way to go. The steep grades and twisty roads were easy doing 25 and in 3rd gear. I could definitely feel the weight going back up the other side of the divide. Just as I was getting back home, the clouds opened up. Made it just in time to cover it with tarps (all the windows are broken out). Now to be inspired and name it (her?). Thanks again to all of you and the words of wisdom. Now it can snow all she wants. Cheers.
tahoe_air is offline   Reply With Quote