Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I have been busy !

I have removed most all of the interior from the front 2/3 rds of my Caravel in the past week. I have started repairing the floor. It seems solid, I want to fill the voids left by the carpenter ants/termites. I am using Git-Rot to take care of this. It works really well, very happy with this product. I have some battery acid rot to fix too, but not life threatining.
I am going to have to replace a couple small areas, one by the front door and one by the curbside wheel well.
It rained very hard this morning and I only found one leak. The Caravel emblem was leaking water. I suppose thats why they had gooped all the silicone on the outside, everyplace but there, ack ! I peeled the inner skin back and found no evidence of any other leaks in the front.
Judging by the condition of the fasteners, the coach has had a bad axle for quite some time. Everything was loose. Some fasteners had fallen out completely or where about ready to. I am glad that I took the time to get into everything right away. Luckily the bolts that hold the body to the floor seem tight still except for the one by the water leak.
Tomorrow I will finish the epoxy treatment to the delaminated floor parts. It needs time to cure and gas off before I can put down new flooring. I am going to work on the cabinetry while the epoxy is curing.
Things seem to be going well. I am trying not to get overwhelmed but it ain't easy ! I am going to make a list and check things off as the are completed. Staying focused on the end result is key here.
While I have the inner skin off in front I am going to install a 12v porch light. Does anyone know if the Caravels even came with that option ? If they didn't I guess I will have the only one with it. I have ordered a new axle from Andy at Inland RV. It should be here by the end of the month, hopefully.
I bought a new battery from Stefroberts. She is coming right along on her project. It looks great. If all goes as planned I will be able to bring my Caravel to BG Lake in April ! Thats about it for now. I have posted new pics in the members photos section, feel free to look them up and comment on them.

Cheers, Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Chris,

Looking forward to meeting you at BG rally......and seeing the improvements you're making to your Caravel! Good Luck!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Good for you. The connector between the water fill pipe and fresh water tank is a common problem when traveling with a full tank. Alot of Caravels seem to get back floor's there, mine did. With the furniture out it's a good time to put something you can trust there.

My 68 has a porch light. They are still available and will blind anyone within 50 feet. I've seen LED models as well online.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've seen porchlights I liked better that were from old Spartan's I think. They were aluminum and they pointed down and lit up the ground and door knob, instead of blinding you! If I ever add a porch light, it would be one of those.

Sounds like you're doing great, Chris, I can't wait to see the Caravel in person. My progress has stalled thanks to other commitments. I will be at the BG rally, but I might not have it all as finished as I'd like.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote