Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
SAN LUIS OBISPO , California
HydroFlame heater removal, '65 Caravel

What is the trick to removing the Hydro Flame heater? I have removed all the interior mounting screws and the exterior screws that fasten the heater exhaust vent to the exterior skin. I cannot get the exhaust pipes to seperate from each other to allow removing the heater from the interior cabinet. The stove/oven has been removed so I have clear access to the heater and exhaust.
Thank you !
SSTANK05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
I'm not sure I understand. On my 1966 I removed the outside cover and pulled the heater out. I did remove the propane line but I don't understand "get the exhaust pipes to seperate from each other" Is this a water heater or a furnace?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	63983  
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Different Heater

Aluminutz has a different style heater.

Sstank05,

I don't have time to take pix of the separated pieces until after work today. The exteriior mounting flange and heat shield are attached to a tube within a tube that are about 10-12" long. That will separate from the exhaust tube that is part of the hydroflame.

BTW, if anyone needs a complete, untested hydroflame, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Thanks for the replies, yes Aluminutz has a different heater than the Hydroflame.

65CV- I've seen photos posted here somewhere of the two components (exterior flange with exhaust tube and the interior heater box with its exhaust tube) seperated, but mine dont seem to want to seperate while pulling either from the outside or inside.
Like I said, with the stove removed I have a clear access to the entire heater and exhaust but I'll be darn if I can see what is keeping them from seperating!
Thanks again for the replies !
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Stuck

Sstank05-

Could it be corrosion that's holding things together? Maybe a little penetrating oil and a lot of muscle.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

SSTANK05, Chances are you're NOT going to get them apart. The fit is very close and the material of both inner and outer tubes is steel. Condensation forms every time the furnace runs and rusts the two pieces together. Since you have the stove out, you MAY be able to tap (beat??) on the tube and get the outer one loose, but the inner tube is not accessable. If you're replacing the heater with something modern, such as the Atwood 12k BTU forced air unit, you can simply cut the old heater tubes with a hacksaw. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
I just removed my Hydo Flame. I had to remove the tape that covered the joint between the outlet from the Hydro and the pipe leading to the exterior outlet, then it was mostly just musle and grunt to pull them apart. There is an inner pipe and an outer. Once the tape was removed it didn't take too much to pull them apart. If you have the Range removed you could use a recripcating saw and saw them in two but I don't think that has to be done. I replaced the Hydro Flame with a Glo Warm mounted on the wall of the refrig. I have had it in about a week and it is working very well. That is good since we had snow here the last two days. We live at 7800 Ft. elev. so winter is coming. So much for Global Warming.

Good luck,

D Bishop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTANK05 View Post
What is the trick to removing the Hydro Flame heater? I have removed all the interior mounting screws and the exterior screws that fasten the heater exhaust vent to the exterior skin. I cannot get the exhaust pipes to seperate from each other to allow removing the heater from the interior cabinet. The stove/oven has been removed so I have clear access to the heater and exhaust.
Thank you !
D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Don, Thank you for the info !

I'm currently sort of ignoring the HydroFlame (that has not yet come apart) while I install new floor tile. It appears that the pipes are rusted together as others have suggested. I did look at your posted photos and I have a question about the shower curtain track in your Caravelle. Is that the original curtain track, or something customized? Would it be possible for you to take a more close-up photo of the track and how it is mounted/fastened to the ceiling ? Thanks again, I really like the polished aluminum theme with your canoe, very clever! Where is Silver Cliff, Colorado? I'm pretty familiar with Western Colorado but don't know where SC is..... thanks again, Doug R
Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
Shower curtain.

I will take closeup pictures of the track tomorrow. The track is original. I have removed the curtain and have it stored away for future use. I suspect you are correct about the rust holding the pipes together. You may very well need to use a recriprocating saw and just saw them apart.

If you want to send me your direct e-mail address to dbishop38@centurytel.net I will send you the closeup pictures directly.

Don
D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel