Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I was really being genuinely curious about why it might still look low, Andy - not trying to pick apart your guess at all!

I was teasing you a bit, but it might just be a bit late at night to be a smart alec. No offense meant.

Actually, I've examined the ride height of my own trailer using this exact sage advice of yours!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Hmmm.

Lets find a fault and pick it to pieces, just like the Marathon tires. How educational and informative.

Andy
Andy,

I think it has more to do with the way you point out that someone's axles are bad so often, many times when someone has posted a picture to show off their new toy. You may be doing it in the interest of safety, but to me it comes off as a little bit rude. It's almost funny how predictable it has become when someone posts a picture of a vintage unit.

All the best,
John
Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2bethad View Post
Well......it took me 44 years of living but I finally molded the Caravel I'd always wanted. I purchased this trailer about 5 years ago and desperately wanted to redo the interior but couldn't afford it. Well, my wife and I own an internet business and we had a great year last year so I finally took the plunge. I'm including photos of the new interior. Replaced is the oven (I just can't do a microwave.....camping is about taking your time and relaxing), counter top (with granite), sink (I love copper), upholstery and carpet. Life is good!!
I can see how life would be good! What a nice little trailer! Good job!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
Andy,

I think it has more to do with the way you point out that someone's axles are bad so often, many times when someone has posted a picture to show off their new toy. You may be doing it in the interest of safety, but to me it comes off as a little bit rude. It's almost funny how predictable it has become when someone posts a picture of a vintage unit.

All the best,
John
Interesting enough, the vast majority of owners that didn't know they had bad axles, express many thanks and appreciation to us for pointing it out, not so much for them to do someting, but to make them aware.

Since bad axles can be a safety issue, a destruction of the trailer and some of it's components issue, a unnecessary extra repair expense issue, again expressed appreciation abounds.

We are sorry that you are offended by us trying to be helpful to those that are not aware that they have a problem with their Airstream.

We are also sorry, that you take personal offense when we see a photo that shows someone has an axle issue.

Of course it can be predicted. How else could we do it unless we see a photo?

So far, we are happy to report, your feeling of rudeness, is in the minority of one, as opposed to many hundreds of thank you's, even though they may purchase other brands of axles.

And so it is.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Anton66, from what i understand, aprox 3" of the tire above the rim should be showing. If not the axles are in need of replacement. This was the case for me, after they were replaced there was a noticeable differance.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #26
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Anton66, from what i understand, aprox 3" of the tire above the rim should be showing. If not the axles are in need of replacement. This was the case for me, after they were replaced there was a noticeable differance.
There are many variables. It is not always easy to tell from a photo. Airstream used high profile and low profile axles, making the difference in the wheel-well to tire look again very difficult to tell.
And then, we've seen perfectly good looking axles that had zero suspension, ( like the ones in my 63 Overlender) and some that looked too low that rode very soft and nice. It's best to follow Andy's advice and jack up one side and actually see if the suspension still moves.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Sarnia , Ontario,
Axle photo...

Sorry Andy, I didn't mean to start anything with my question, however I would like to know if the picture was taken before or after the axle replacement?
Anton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #28
Child of the 60's

1965 17' Caravel
Bexley , Ohio
Funny how life repeats itself.

The photo of the trailer was taken a few months ago......about 4 years after the axle was replaced. Prior to owning this Caravel, I owned another one prior and had real issues with the replacement axle that was installed by Airstream. At that time, it was clear that Inland RV and Airstream had an ax to grind. Take a look at this prior thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ory-18035.html

Andy....I don't mean to be disrespectful either but it is really disconcerting to hear you say that my trailer needs a replacement axle when you all are the ones that sold me the replacement a few years ago. I'm not sure how else I can't be in the 1% with a new axle.
fun2bethad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Your photo clearly shows that your axle is bad.

Andy
In this case the photo only shows an axle sold in the last 4 years that is at the correct height for the trailer. I cannot tell that from the photo - but I'm sure you would not sell a defective axle so it must be correct.

Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but sometimes the words "YOUR AXLE NEEDS REPLACING" are not what needs to be said when a person is trying to show off his/her hard work to everyone. In this case a PM would have been the proper method and we would have never known that you sold him his axle 4 years ago.

Maybe - what others are trying to say - a message like "looks great, check you PRIVATE MESSAGES" would work.

BTW - I have an InlandRV axle - have recommended it to lots of people, I will continue to, but I'm afraid to post a picture here else I get the same response. Mine looks the same height as this one in the first post.

fun2bethad - Your Caravel looks great - Only wish mine was that far along.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The photo of the trailer was taken a few months ago......about 4 years after the axle was replaced. Prior to owning this Caravel, I owned another one prior and had real issues with the replacement axle that was installed by Airstream. At that time, it was clear that Inland RV and Airstream had an ax to grind. Take a look at this prior thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ory-18035.html

Andy....I don't mean to be disrespectful either but it is really disconcerting to hear you say that my trailer needs a replacement axle when you all are the ones that sold me the replacement a few years ago. I'm not sure how else I can't be in the 1% with a new axle.
You ARE far more than being disrespectful, plus fabricating a comment that is NOT TRUE.

For you to say that Airstream and Inland, or for that matter I, had an "AXE TO GRIND" is about as far away from the remotest of truth as Earth is to Pluto.

Please post an apology for making such a unfounded nasty statement.

Furthermore, I am not perfect and your photo appeared to show an axle that has settled.

The Caravel axles are famous for what ever reason, unknown to us, to settle closer to the ground.

Doesn't matter that you replaced it some 4 years ago. That is no sign that it's still perfect as it quite well may be, still perfect.

If I or we make a mistake, we own up to it.

For someone, anyone, to concoct a comment that you have, and publicize it to boot, is at best a detrimental attack on our reputation and honesty.

Torsion axles can go bad, under certain circumstances in little as 2 to 3 years, no matter who manufactured it.

Of course, I can bet that you use your Caravel, every week, so setting still wouldn't be the problem.

I am not a graduate of college with a degree in "perfect" communication, as some may think.

Please tell me why axles are failing on 2005 and 2006 trailers? We have replaced dozens of them, at customers requests.

Attacks such as yours are reasons we have moderators.

Disrespectfully yours, too, or should I say, I don't mean to be.

Andy
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Different Axles?

[quote=Inland RV Center, In;611833]

The Caravel axles are famous for what ever reason, unknown to us, to settle closer to the ground.
Andy; Inland RV[[quote]]

Is the axle built for the Caravel different from other Henschen axles?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
After reading through all this, my question is; By installing the 14' tires this makes less of the sidewall show, correct?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #33
Child of the 60's

1965 17' Caravel
Bexley , Ohio
Quote:
You ARE far more than being disrespectful, plus fabricating a comment that is NOT TRUE.

For you to say that Airstream and Inland, or for that matter I, had an "AXE TO GRIND" is about as far away from the remotest of truth as Earth is to Pluto.

Please post an apology for making such a unfounded nasty statement.

Furthermore, I am not perfect and your photo appeared to show an axle that has settled.

Doesn't matter that you replaced it some 4 years ago. That is no sign that it's still perfect as it quite well may be, still perfect.

If I or we make a mistake, we own up to it.

For someone, anyone, to concoct a comment that you have, and publicize it to boot, is at best a detrimental attack on our reputation and honesty.

Torsion axles can go bad, under certain circumstances in little as 2 to 3 years, no matter who manufactured it.

Of course, I can bet that you use your Caravel, every week, so setting still wouldn't be the problem.

I am not a graduate of college with a degree in "perfect" communication, as some may think.

Please tell me why axles are failing on 2005 and 2006 trailers? We have replaced dozens of them, at customers requests.

Attacks such as yours are reasons we have moderators.

Disrespectfully yours, too, or should I say, I don't mean to be.

Andy

Andy,
Did you happen to read through the thread that I posted from several years ago?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
Did you happen to read through the thread that I posted from several years ago?
Unfortunately, I do not the luxury of enough time to read everything that may be posted.

I also don't remember what might be posted, especially from way back.

If I did, I would have to have at least 35 hour days.

I have way too much to do, to make a study of every post made.

Sorry.

Andy
Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I wonder if the weight of the trailer increased due to the addition of the counters and such creating a condition where the axle is at it's rated capacity. That could cause the appearance of a bad axle condition I would think.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #36
Child of the 60's

1965 17' Caravel
Bexley , Ohio
Perhaps there will be others that have the time and can draw their own conclusions. I have never been, nor do I intend to be, disrespectful to ANYONE on this forum. I don't play games with words and I've always been straightforward with the facts.

Silverhobby, in response to your question, the 14" tires were the solution to the issue on the previous Caravel that I owned. I had also proactively replaced the axle on that trailer as well but had some issues with the installation. The 14" tires ultimately became the solution. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
[QUOTE=Silverhobby;611974][quote=Inland RV Center, In;611833]

Andy; Inland RV[
Quote:
]

Is the axle built for the Caravel different from other Henschen axles?
The axles for the Caravels are built the same as for the other lengths of Airstreams, but they weight ratings are different.

The original Bambi and Caravels had axles with either 2500 or 3000 pound ratings. Replacing those axles with the same ratings, did not always satisfy long term requirements.

We were cautioned that increasing the capacity, due to the light frames, might cause a problem.

We have at this point increased the Caravel ratings to 3200 pounds and once in a while to 3500 pounds, both depending on that owners needs.

We found that by doing so, the trailers maintain a higher profile, and have, best we know, stayed that way.

Accordingly, we now suggest 3200 pound changeouts, that appear to resolve the issue.

We also, in some cases, where there was adequate room available, supplied those axles with 12 inch brakes instead of the original 10 inch, that also come with 6 lug drums, that use 205-15 tires.

Improving or trying to improve on Airstreams axle criteria, takes time and considerable feedback.

We thank those that upgraded to a higher rating who also confirmed that the increase in rating still offered a soft ride, and had zero negative effects.

We offer the options and it's still the owners choice.

As with many other things Airstream related, improvements in design and products must take time to assure positive steps were taken in a forward direction.

Andy
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander View Post
I wonder if the weight of the trailer increased due to the addition of the counters and such creating a condition where the axle is at it's rated capacity. That could cause the appearance of a bad axle condition I would think.
Some owners confirmed that when they added some "extra" weight, that the axles had a tendency to start dropping.

That's part of the reason we started increasing the axle ratings for the Caravels, even though we were cautioned about the increase.

So far, after a couple of years, that increase has apparently resolved the issue.

Not one single person has reported anything but "hooray."

Bambi's and Caravels, back then, had a very "LOW" payload capacity, especially with a full water tank.

Hopefully, the change we made, is good for the long term.

So far, so good.

Like wise increasing the axle capacity for the vast majority of owners on other size Airstreams, has resulterd in positive feedback.

Airstreams love a soft ride. Increasing the axle ratings within reason, still keeps that soft ride.

Andy

Andy

Tags
caravel