Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
'65 Caravel Hydroflame

I've taken the unit out of the trailer and it was in pretty good condition. I examined it thoroughly, intake exhaust, cabinet etc. the pilot hadn't lit in decades as far as I could tell, it was hopelessly plugged up and rusted inside. The thermocouple was corroded but operated. I replaced the pilot and thermocouple and the unit operates. HOWEVER...
I can light the pilot, adjust the temperature knob and the main burner ignites and it runs and warms fine until the target temperature is reached, then the unit clicks and shuts down. SHUTS DOWN COMPLETELY; the main burner AND pilot goes out. Sometimes it will actually cycle on and off a couple of times, but that's it. What could I look at next? The tanks are new and full, I've a new regulator, I've managed to get the original LP fridge working and managed a hack to get the oven running again (although the new pilot standing flame burns like a torch not a match flame), I've even pulled the rust bucket water heater and installed an instant on LP unit that works nicely. During all this LP refurbishment I blew out the old lines and checked thoroughly for leaks. But the heater has me stumped, it works - sorta.
Jeepers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You might want to read this thread They appear to have the same issue.

Best of luck!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
Yeah, I've seen it...

It's several years old. I've read almost everything in the a/c & furnace forums plus everything in the Caravel forum too. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers! View Post
It's several years old. I've read almost everything in the a/c & furnace forums plus everything in the Caravel forum too. Thanks.

Did you ever figure out what you problem was with the Hydroflame?
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
I have not. We picked up a household ceramic plug-heater, and had a rooftop AC/heatpump put on also. And not having been out in the trailer in freezing weather the furnace hasn’t been used. I suspect the pilot nozzle I put in was sub-par and/or the baffling allows it to be extinguished.

Tags
caravel