Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
'65 Caravel for Sale in Ottawa, Canada

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is in for a major project, but I thought I'd pass this along.

1965 Airstream Caravel, 17 ft. MUST SELL - Ottawa Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa

I've already got a 69 Caravel and this would be a great "bookend".
I also thought to buy it and give one each to my two daughters as a gift when they grow up (they are 7 and 9).

However, I truly have too much on my plate.

IF you want more pictures, let me know and I can go visit it as it is only half hour away.

Julison
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
This is classic: someone tears the innards out of a vintage trailer, then either loses interest, runs out of money, or realizes that they have bitten off more than they could chew.

So they put it on the market saying "the hard work is done".

The truth is that they they have made the work even harder by ripping out everything that made it a trailer! All it is now is just an aluminum tent...

Sad.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.
-- Egyptian
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Aluminitis Alert!

Thanks for inducing Alimunitis Julison!

We're just getting into our first year of enjoying (ie. not "working on") our '79 Sovereign and now I'm passing a fantasy to restore this '65. Problem is our big 'ol Sov is so well situated it's practically a park model. Also, we love touring in our convertible so much, it's hard to get motivated to rig up our vintage '75 truck and haul that big trailer away from it's comfortable spot.

If [only] it was possible to tow this smaller '65 Caravel behind my '65 Sting Ray. The vintage is exactly correct too - three ways - as I'm also a '65!

I don't mind that it's been gutted. A clear slate opens up a lot of possibilities, but alas even an empty shell would still be too much weight for an old Corvette convertible, but it would be fun if it could!

Imagine that Caravel behind this?

Our 65 Corvette at our Campsite In Bancroft Ontario
'79 Airstream Sovereign International '31
'75 Chevy Silverado Fleetside Pickup
'80 Baja 19TC "Twilight Cruiser" 260hp Speedboat
'65 Chevy Corvette Sting Ray Convertible
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauluptime View Post

We're just getting into our first year of enjoying (ie. not "working on") our '79 Sovereign and now I'm passing a fantasy to restore this '65. Problem is our big 'ol Sov is so well situated it's practically a park model. Also, we love touring in our convertible so much, it's hard to get motivated to rig up our vintage '75 truck and haul that big trailer away from it's comfortable spot.

If [only] it was possible to tow this smaller '65 Caravel behind my '65 Sting Ray. The vintage is exactly correct too - three ways - as I'm also a '65!

I don't mind that it's been gutted. A clear slate opens up a lot of possibilities, but alas even an empty shell would still be too much weight for an old Corvette convertible, but it would be fun if it could!

Now that would look awesome!
After restoring my 69 Caravel to as close to original as possible it would be nice to go the opposite and go modern - but time is not on my side these days. I too have a thing for restoring old toys - I have a 1970 sailboat that I am trying to get into the water this month....plus a kitchen renovation.

Someone needs to save this trailer though.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
This is classic: someone tears the innards out of a vintage trailer, then either loses interest, runs out of money, or realizes that they have bitten off more than they could chew.

So they put it on the market saying "the hard work is done".

The truth is that they they have made the work even harder by ripping out everything that made it a trailer! All it is now is just an aluminum tent...

Sad.
I know it. It is too easy to get "right at it" and then realize that this is a huge investment in time - well worth it if you know what is coming though.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauluptime View Post

IF the Corvette isn't an option, how about this.
The International Travelall is my all time favourite tow vehicle - my Dad owned one when i was just a kid. Miss them both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0046.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	105129  
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Vintage, but not to a fault

For towing duty, our '75 Silverdo in front of a '79 Sovereign is "period correct" and does the job remarkably well, even by modern standards. The mechanicals are all in top/new condition and all the wiring/controls are fresh and modern. I like the vintage ride without vintage problems, thank you.

It's just inspirational to think of something smaller, reliable vintage convertible that might be up to the task of a 17' Caravel. Think of all the places you could get to.

Perhaps a different International, like a '79 Scout convertible... yep that would be cool!
'79 Airstream Sovereign International '31
'75 Chevy Silverado Fleetside Pickup
'80 Baja 19TC "Twilight Cruiser" 260hp Speedboat
'65 Chevy Corvette Sting Ray Convertible
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Howick , Quebec
Is it still for sale?

I am looking for a trailer like yours! the 65 caravel write to me at: adanieloperamail.com

Thanks
rikiki
Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quite a bit of work

'65 Caravels are great, but...

Don't underestimate the work!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...vel-45046.html
Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #10

Gatineau , Quebec
I owned this trailer, it was stolen in 2000 and resold in 2009 to the guy who posted this ad, he then sold it to a US corporation that had $75 000 in renos done and now uses it as a boardroom. Police closed the case because they figured the renovations were so extensive they would never be able to prove it was ours.

Tags
caravel