Old 04-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

Teeter totter, that is what you could have with no weight on the tongue, and no stabilization in the rear.

While we were working on Vintage Thunder Rich and I had just such a scare. The entire front of the trailer was empty and we had it attached to his TV. BUT we only had a 2 inch ball since the new hitch had not come. We were not towing it more than 100 yards.

We backed the trailer up on car ramps and left it attached to the TV to hold it there. This way we could work under the rear and have some room. Chocked the wheels (good thing as it turned out) and got to work.

At some point in the day Rich was inside in the bathroom working on one of the many projects and had a question. I pulled myself out from under the trailer and went in to see what he was asking about. About the time we both got to the bathroom the tongue of the trailer decided to LIFT OFF THE BALL!!!

We looked at each other with an OH S**T and I ran toward the front. The weight transfer dropped the trailer back down on the ball. There was no damage to the trailer or the TV because we chocked it so it could not ROLL OFF THE RAMPS!!!!

In the end all we got out of it was an adrenaline rush. From then on we stacked 4 concrete blocks on the A-Frame any time we were on the ramps.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Wow scary ! I put mine on concrete blocks and make sure it was as level as it could possibly be. I left the fridge and some other parts in the front. With all of the things out from inside the trailer it becomes very light. I imagine you could just push it over at this point. I have my plywood today ! Goin out to prep the frame. See ya later !

C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Holy Cow, Brett! Glad all you got was a wild ride - that could have set the project back quite a ways!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1960 18' Traveler
Glacier , Washington
we are just about read to start taking our sub floor out. The front part of the belly pan came off today----welll, most of it. It's so pitted and corroded that we snipped it along under the tounge. We've already taken off the aft part of the belly pan. had to take out the big rivets along the bottom to do so of course. Our question is: if we are level and stable, have jacks on either side supporting the aft end, and are not taking the banana wrap off---is it ok to go ahead and take the rivets out along the front by the hitch to take the belly pan totally out. The front rivets are closer together than what the aft section. (fore about 1 1/2 inches apart, aft 3"). just checking to make sure we are on the right track, or uchannel. Stacia and Martha

60traveler is offline   Reply With Quote