Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Question Tools for working aluminum sheets

A guy at our local flea market (Waldo, FL) is selling 4' x 10' sheets of aluminum. He couldn't tell me how thick it is, but I'd say slightly under 1/16th of an inch (say 0.05 to 0.06"). It's in excellent shape, the plastic protection sheets are still on, not bent up or anything. Being a sucker for cheap materials, I dove in and bought three sheets for $100, thinking I can put it to use for interior cabinet faces (bathroom tambour is shot and I'll probably end out replacing it) and maybe make some nice aluminum boxes to replace the awful heavy sliding drawers under my dinette . . . and still end out with material for belly patches or whatever (tin can doghouse?). Not to mention having some material to burn on beginner's mistakes.

Now that I have the stuff home, I realize I don't know the first thing about working with it. I have aviation ships, but I've never been real good about cutting a straight even line with them. Google search turns up about 15 ways to cut thin non-ferrous sheet metal.

How do others work with the stuff? I think I'll start with straight lines, and when I gain confidence, try some curved stuff.

p.s. It has arrows for the grain. Do you run the grain up? down? across? or just try to be consistent in matching grain?
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I suspect it is architectural grade brushed aluminum if it has a grain to it. The industrial stuff does not have plastic on it and it does not have a grain. A sheet metal break is used for bending corners and you can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight. You can cut the stuff with a skill saw or table saw with a carbide tipped blade. I know I will get some flack from that but I do it all the time and we do it all the time at NASA. You can use a hole saw for holes and a jig saw for curves but it leaves jagged edges. You can clean then up with a sander. Usually I will do a rough cut with something like a jig saw or saws all (big jigsaw) then finish cut with a circular saw of some sort with a carbide tipped blade. The experts like Aerowood and Zep might have other suggestions.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Trailer Supply has an excellent article on polishing that includes characteristics of original aluminum. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...tream-s/46.htm
pappysnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I use a plasma torch or electric Milwaukee shears to cut thin stuff.
The aviation snips have battled me every time I've used them.
There is also something called a nibbler that may work for you...
Just do some practice cuts no matter what method you choose.
Have fun with all that aluminum!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Does it have a clear 'plastic' covering over the 'grain'? If so, I agree its architectural grade. I've used it several places on our 58.

Glued to a sized plywood piece to create an interior wall (contact cement with metal over sized then trimmed with a flush cutting bit in the router).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom sink 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	362685

Cut to size and riveted to banquette seat for a close out panel.

Name:	Banquette front panel.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	362687

Cut to size and used by itself as doors in our metal wall cabs (original was a sheet of formica cut to size).

Name:	Painted walls and cabinets.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	362686

You can get non-ferrous blades for a skil saw. A guide clamped to the sheet will give you a straight cut. Caution: if there is a plastic coating on the finished side it may not give you a real clean edge. Larger pieces I took to a fabrication shop for straight cuts (large shear). They put the good side up and covered with a piece of cardboard so the machine's clamp wouldn't mar the surface.

If it is .050 thousands or larger it could be difficult to bend on a 90 and not mar the finish. Good luck

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Aircraft Spruce is a good source for high quality tools.

A good jigsaw with good blades will be handy. I have a Bosch with variable speed.

If you have a decent compressor in your shop, a pneumatic rivet puller speeds bigger jobs up quite a bit. Clecko pliers are a consideration.

HVAC duct work folks can do some nice work with hand benders you can find at Lowes and Home Depot in the HVAC ducting aisles.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote