Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1969-1971 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Maiden Voyage/renovation photos

Hi everyone,
We purchased our 69 Caravel late last summer and spent the winter repairing and personalizing our Airstream. She was in pretty good shape to begin with, but as you know, one thing lead to another and here's what we did;

new water heater, pex plumbing, interior lights, counter tops, kitchen faucet, marmoleum flooring, new woodwork, some satinless details (kit wall, ref panel) new custom-made black water tank, new 12v converter, rebuilt propane heater, replaced some propane lines, new alum tanks, new screens, lexan front window, new hitch, reinforced flooring, replacing 2 rot spots, extended rear bumber box, new water pump, expoxyed bath sink, new toilet valve, new stovetop, new upholstery & foam, rebuilt bath cabinet and some cabinet interior improvements.

We took her for the maiden voyage this past week on a trip to Page, Az, Lake Powell. She pulled like a dream, even in a sandstorm in Momument Valley of epic proportions. Other than a problem with the termo coupler on the furnace and a finicky gas/elec knob on the refrigerator everything worked great. She looks beautiful and right at home in the desert, and it washer first trip west. She is native to the deep south.

Thought I would share some photos, since I relied so heavily on forum info throughout the process. What a a tremendous resource. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Krista
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadside West small.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	35008   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1756.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	35009  

Name:	exterior curbside.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	35010   Click image for larger version

Name:	green counter.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	35016  

Name:	Twin Bluffs 2007.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	35017   Click image for larger version

Name:	refr.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	35018  

Name:	wawheep site.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	35019   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	35020  

Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
what a beauty, you should be very proud! i LOVE the countertop! it is a beautiful trailer, a piece of art from times past. i know you're proud of her and you should be. thanks for sharing and blessings for a long and happy airstream future!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
wow, very nice. I hope when I get around to an restoration mine will look that good.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
What a great job. And a tremendous amount of work in such a short time!

Looks great!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
Salmon Arm , BC
I love what you have done with the old girl! I have the same trailer but not nearly as nice! Mine appears in this thread….http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/value-modified-1969-caravel-31601.html

sorry SLVRPASION if I bought it out from under you….just think of the work I saved you! It sounds like your 67 was in much better shape. I didn’t find the thread until after I had the trailer home.

I found the link on the net Thursday night and drove down (5 hrs) the following night to pick her up slept in her that night. As you could see by the pictures, it was quite a hack job by the previous owners.

Other problems found since getting it home. Rear frame rusted thru, rear end is separating & bumper sagging. Floor shot in the front & rear of the trailer & suspect by the door. Banana rap is badly dented up. Front window replaced…another hack job. Nice crease along the top front (don't think its going to come out!) Rear dent. Clear coat worn off by a winter tarp front and back. This trailer is to far gone to be perfect but in a few years will be very livable.

Thanks Tim, Colin & Rob for the VAP for contributing to my ALUMINITICE….I would recommend any Airstreamer wantabees to listen to the archive prior to your purchase. Keep up the great work. If I only knew then what I know now! I likely wouldn’t have paid what I did or would have kept looking!

http://www.thevap.com/
G-STREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Krista,
She sure is a pretty one! I hope to be as proud of mine next year as you are of yours! Enjoy.
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
She looks terrific! Thanks for sharing! think I will now replace the formica in our gal.
I love the faucet in kitchen can you email me gmalibu@verizon.net where you bought the faucet. thanks, gail
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
love it, great work and thanks for sharing!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote