Old 09-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
'69 Caravel, light switch

Hi,

So I've got my Caravel home. See pics.
It does require a bit of work, but I'm looking forward to it.
I've finally given it a good once over and realize I've got a bit of floor replacement to do - the back area that has the battery , Univot, water tank has a fair amount of rot. No worries.

I've got some of questions though.
#1) What is the switch immediately to your right as you enter the trailer (behind the fake window curtain)?

#2) What was the original "sound system" in this trailor. It's currently set up with a nice Pioneer 8 track.

#3) What originally covered the front windows on the outside...it seems to me that there was something there as a previous owner patched some rivet holes with some awful white silcone. How can I remove that goop?

#4) Finally, what IS Vulkem (Chemically)?

thanks all in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS FL.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	14730   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Back Left.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	14733  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Front.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	14734   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS UnderBelly.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	14735  

Old 09-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Hi Julison.
That'a a great looking coach. Congrats!
1. The light switch you mention should be for the round porch light.
2. The Pioneer 8 track sounds like original equipment but may have been added by a PO.
3. There may have been a rockguard on the front window formerly. The '69 rockguards were quite flimsy and not very durable. You should be able to remove the goop with mineral spirits and a plastic scraper OR you can order a new rockguard from an AS dealer.
4. Vulkem data sheet:
http://www.reuse.org/Products/Joint%.../VULKEM116.pdf

Enjoy your new toy.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
2nd mystery switch on 69 Caravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Hi Julison.
That'a a great looking coach. Congrats!
1. The light switch you mention should be for the round porch light.
2. The Pioneer 8 track sounds like original equipment but may have been added by a PO.
3. There may have been a rockguard on the front window formerly. The '69 rockguards were quite flimsy and not very durable. You should be able to remove the goop with mineral spirits and a plastic scraper OR you can order a new rockguard from an AS dealer.
4. Vulkem data sheet:
http://www.reuse.org/Products/Joint%.../VULKEM116.pdf

Enjoy your new toy.
Thanks Roger,

You are right, it does turn on the porch light, however there is a second identicle switch a few inches away behind a curtain that doesn't seem to do anything...ideas anyone?

Julison
Old 10-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I had mystery switch on my '67 Tradewind. It turned out to be for the water pump.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My water pump switch is in the kitchen near the sink. It's the only switch in the trailer. Is yours near the kitchen?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Check and see if it is connected to the light over the galley. That's the way it is on my '73. Its not exactly a "3-way" switch; but power to the galley fixture goes through this switch on the door. with that switch in the "on" position, you can then turn the light over the sink on and off; with the wall switch in the "off" position, the galley light won't work at all.

If you leave the galley light switch in the "on" position, you can use the switch by the door to turn it on and off, which lets you easily turn on an interior light as you enter the trailer in complete darkness, without having to fumble or feel your way around for another switch.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Mystery Light Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
My water pump switch is in the kitchen near the sink. It's the only switch in the trailer. Is yours near the kitchen?
I have a switch over the sink that powers the water pump.
Then there are the two switches beside the door - one is definitely for the proch light..the other mmmm.
I'll check and see if it is tied into the dome or galley lights - there's not much else it could be.

thanks,

Julison
Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi Julison

The switch is definately for the "Salon" light - the light that is in the middle in the ceiling that is over the couch or dinette - which ever you have.

Turn on the light - to the level you will mostly use - then go to the switch and press it up or down to turn the circuit off. It is a convenience when you open the door you can put a light on right away - without having to muddle around in the dark.

We had the exact same swith in the GT and.....asked the exact same question 2 years ago. We got thrown off by the reply saying it was the Galley light - as we had a light over the sink as well as the one in the center. But after a while the "little light came on"

Sounds like you are having some fun with your new acquisition.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Hi Julison,
You will grow to love your AS.
I have a 67 Caravel. I am giving you a link to a site for a product that I think is great. http://www.polyall.com. If you still have fiber existing in your rotten flooring ,this product will solidify them. I have used it on my Caravel floor and even on rusted steel on my 88 Nissan I use to pull my fishing boat. I do not like to throw things away when they are still good or can be repaired. It has the consistentcy of water so it penetrates where water has been but then turns to plastic. Can be drill, screwed, or sanded. Check it out. Even if you have rotted wood, but no holes, or can block holes, where polyall will run through, this will solidify.
Barkingdogg
Old 10-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdogg
Hi Julison,
You will grow to love your AS.
I have a 67 Caravel. I am giving you a link to a site for a product that I think is great. http://www.polyall.com. If you still have fiber existing in your rotten flooring ,this product will solidify them. I have used it on my Caravel floor and even on rusted steel on my 88 Nissan I use to pull my fishing boat. I do not like to throw things away when they are still good or can be repaired. It has the consistentcy of water so it penetrates where water has been but then turns to plastic. Can be drill, screwed, or sanded. Check it out. Even if you have rotted wood, but no holes, or can block holes, where polyall will run through, this will solidify.
Barkingdogg
Thanks for the info...looks a lot like a product (Git Rot) I used to use on a rooting old wooden boat I once owned. It's funny, but dry rot seems to follw me around....First the boat (58 Lyman lapstrake - beautiful boat), then my house (an old cottage on the OTtawa river that we just finished renovating) and now the Caravel. I hope the Carvel costs less than the house to repair

Julison

Tags
caravel