Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
We purchased our FC 23 FB at the Springfield dealership. And as previously metioned, their depth of knowledge is somewhat limited.

That said, what can you expect from a dealer which moves a relatively low number of units? Same probably applies to the dealer in St. Louis, although I know nothing about them.

For our current Airstream, we towed our 23 to Colonial Airstream in New Jersey, and didn't think twice about doing so. Our walkthrough with Colonial was in the morning, and their following walkthrough (that afternoon) was with a couple from the west coast.

It's not happenstance that Colonial is the number one dealer in the country.

I say this well into our second year of warranty with them. Part of their sales pitch to me, was the fact they do a quality control inspection on every unit they sell more than once. Our trailer has been, with a couple minor exceptions, trouble free.

Most dealers put their inventory on their lot, and nothing else.

2013 25 FC FB (Twin)
2013 Suburban 2500

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I have found that most AS dealers are like car dealers... the demand for good people can not keep up with the turnover. I too wish there was a dealer closer than STL, but it is what it is.

We bought ours in 2010 at Bill Thomas, and have been back a few times since. I have noticed that the number of new AS have shrunk, and they appear no where near being as Air Stream exclusive as they once were in sales, but their service dept bays seem to have a lot of AS in for service...
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #32
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
Brad, Thanks for bringing this up. This is a question that I have wondered about. Why is there not a dealer in KC? I can tell you that I would definitely support one. A couple vignettes are appropriate here.

We bought our 2012 from Airstream NW in Coventry, WA, when we lived in the Tacoma area, and it was massively convenient, long after the sale, and frankly, it continues to be. The staff there remembers us, and treats us right. They have experienced technicians, and the shop isn't that old. Experience RV techs are out there, and the A/S systems are NOT that different. I have continued to order parts from them, and their parts department is awesome: knowledgable and easy to work with over the phone. For my 1955 Flying Cloud, they gave me all the prices for the interior skins, and offered to ship affordably. Unless Airparts, Inc. in KC gets a new product line of clear coated aluminum for the interior, I will spend that money to have it shipped out here from Airstream NW.

I also went to the dealer in the St. Louis area and was tremendously disappointed. We had an issue with our couch and Airstream (from the factory, also exceptional service from the factory BTW) was going to cover under warranty, just needed a dealer to accept the job, and the couch would be shipped there. Having spoken with the St Louis dealer at the RV show in KC, I thought to take it to them. Their service manager agreed over the phone, and I made plans to take of work and take the trailer in. Arrived in St Louis and completely different story. Service manager could not accept the job without the owner's (on vacation) say so. They would not let me leave it overnight, they would not do the warranty work, period. So...wasted trip, and X dollars of fuel, time, etc.

I made arrangements with the dealer in Des Moines, and they accepted it also over the phone. Understand the one in Des Moines is very small and Airstream is just a secondary aspect of this establishment, which sells truck and trailer A/C systems, and it is a sub unit for the main dealer in Anoka, MN. No inventory on the lot when I went. Nevertheless, they were happy to do it, Airstream shipped the new couch there, they did it same day in just a couple hours, and did some other routine maintenance at the same time. Knowledgeable techs, friendly and easy to work with. Just another 3+ hour drive from the KC area.

I have been to about seven different dealerships in my travels, and personality seems to play a bigger role than company policy in terms of customer experience. The dealers in St Louis and Denver wouldn't give me the time of day, but the rest: Portland, Spokane, Coventry, Des Moines, Anoka all bent over backwards, and then got paid for it. Seems fair to me.

I don't recommend the dealers in Saint Louis and Denver, and so a dealer KC would be welcome. Given that there are two WBCCI units in area, and a fairly vibrant forums community of owners, there should still be plenty more owners and potential owners in the area to support them. Now we just need an investor with a couple million to put down into a good location vic I-70/I-29/I-35 on the north side of town to get it started.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I think MBKC dropped Airstream was due to lack of interest on both their part and the public's. In the two years that I knew about them, I'm only aware of a couple of Interstates they sold besides mine. But then I never saw any marketing efforts. Not sure what the costs were associated with carrying the franchise but suspect they weren't warranted given the low sales.

Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is online now   Reply With Quote

« Bike storage | Top | Help »