Old 12-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I don't necessarily agree with your comment Ag&Au. I am a designer in the film and television world. There is most definitely good and bad design in the world and that extends to SOBs as well. IMHO, in this thread the OP asked for opinions and that is what we have given him. If you choose to not have an opinion, or worse yet, to have one and not express it, that leads to the dull world.

crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #44
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with your comment Ag&Au. I am a designer in the film and television world. There is most definitely good and bad design in the world and that extends to SOBs as well. IMHO, in this thread the OP asked for opinions and that is what we have given him. If you choose to not have an opinion, or worse yet, to have one and not express it, that leads to the dull world.
There are good and bad engineering designs. Such things are governed by known laws of physics and can be calculated using mathematics.

I do not see anyway to quantify art. Yes there are guiding ideas on what makes a piece of art (such as graphics on trailers) appealing to the most people or to some target group.

In this case perhaps Airstream owners are not the target group.

Your statement in post 14:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Although I find them very unattractive, I do dig some of their forward thinking ideas. A heated underbelly sounds great!
I have no problem with that statement. you do not say, "They are very unattractive".

There is a difference, your statement implies that it is your opinion.

What I am taking exception to started shortly thereafter with people making absolute negative statements such as: it is a design disaster or the swirly designs are ugly.

I reread the thread and found nowhere that the OP solicited opinions on his choice. He simply asked, would we shun him? The simple answer would have been, "No, of course not, we're not a narrow thinking group".

However what I would have heard had I been Him, would have been, "no we won't shun you, but your making a stupid mistake"

As a member of Airforums, I would prefer to see us project a more open minded appearance to others who may hold different ideas or tastes.

Ken

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #45

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I am having trouble understanding why someone's question about "will we shun him if he bought another brand", has turned into bashing the taste of anyone whose taste is different than ours. So I guess the answer is: No we won't shun him we will just tell him how bad his taste is. Let's try to have little class. Everyone one has different tastes. If you don't like someone else's taste, show an little maturity and realize we all have differences. If your goal in life is to make everyone a clone of you, you will find a dull world if you succeed. Ken

Well stated Ken!

An RV is an RV in the grand scheme of things. Our passion for silver trailers is no different than those shared by owners of (insert your brand of choice). This thread wasn't started as a anti SOB thread and it is disingenuous of us to take the it there.

We personally welcome any RV family to camp along side of us irrespective of what they camp in.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #46
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Four pages and not a single image of this thing…
Click image for larger version

Name:	-212342812296984290.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	202183
No visual tour?
The 2013 Forest River Aviator Wright Flyer (George M. Sutton RV ).wmv - YouTube
Not a link to the manufacturer site?
They do have forum if you want to read it...
I like to know what I am putting down before I put it down.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'd like to see one in person - just to do that mental "side by side" comparison. I did search and found the company website, but there don't seem to be any dealers within 600 miles.

I guess it will take a few years to see if the brand survives and prospers.

It doesn't look bad, but I too prefer the trailer without the swirls. Found a few on Rvtrader.com and they seem pretty reasonably priced if they ARE well built.

I'd look at one - as a good semi-park model. To me, they kinda remind me of the squarestreams.

Paula
Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #48
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'd like to see one in person - just to do that mental "side by side" comparison. I did search and found the company website, but there don't seem to be any dealers within 600 miles.

I guess it will take a few years to see if the brand survives and prospers.

It doesn't look bad, but I too prefer the trailer without the swirls. Found a few on Rvtrader.com and they seem pretty reasonably priced if they ARE well built.

I'd look at one - as a good semi-park model. To me, they kinda remind me of the squarestreams.

Paula
They apparently come without swoops. Check out this one. I saw a few others like this one on other sites.

2013 Forest River Aviator WRIGHT FLYER Travel Trailer Nashville, TN Bankston Motor Homes | Alabama RV Dealer | Tennessee RV Dealer | Motorhomes__

As you mentioned dealers seem to be few and far between.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I like the Aviator interior and features but looking at the ride height of the Aviator vs the Airstream and thinking about where the center of gravity would be I don't think I would enjoy towing it as much as the Airstream.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Mea culpa, I should not have started capping on those hideous swirls, but rather I should have stated:
"No, my friend, you will not be disowned, you will always be welcome at any rally I organize, no matter what you tow or tow with".
Although I cannot speak for the unorganization, I'm sure that all my brothers and sisters in TAC feel the same way.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #51
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
Mea culpa, I should not have started capping on those hideous swirls, but rather I should have stated:
"No, my friend, you will not be disowned, you will always be welcome at any rally I organize, no matter what you tow or tow with".
Although I cannot speak for the unorganization, I'm sure that all my brothers and sisters in TAC feel the same way.
As one of the hosts for the Birthday Bash, it has always been our stance on attendees. We have had Scottys, a monster 5th wheel, a Rialta class b, and last year, a diesel pusher moho. It is about the fellowship not what you own. Then again, if you go to a Thunderbird gathering in a VW you do kind of feel like the odd man out.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Who cares what we think? Buy what you want.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Best answer so far :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #54
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Agree with the above, if you love it, buy it.

After looking at the specs, tours and brochure, I have to say that it's a lovely unit, especially with the classic paint job.

As a brand new AS owner, I have to agree that one of the many things I particularly like about my AS is the relatively low center of gravity and stability while towing. However, in exchange I gave up most of the external storage which this unit has, comparatively, in abundance. As a result of that abundance, however, I'd suggest a beefier TV than the Ram 1500 I'm using to tow my AS. More storage = bringing lots more stuff along for the ride. I'm sure you'd enjoy an Aviator as much as I'm going to enjoy my AS. Whenever I see an Aviator in the flesh, I look forward to asking the owners for a look, just as much as I look forward to letting others oogle my AS when I'm the only one in the park.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
I bought an Aviator Wright Flyer?

Minus's,
It's not an AS.
It's not Vintage.

Plus's ,
It's certainly not a Box. Great Lines. (I wish they made class A that looked like it.)
Seems well constructed. Much better than most SOB's i've seen.
Full of tech, ... tech tech and moreeee tech. (I know that offends alot of ASstreamers. What can I say, ... that's why I like AS's som much. They are all about a techy looking thing. I am and will always be an early adopter.)
A better way to get disowned is being honest about this hideous design effort of another company trying to pass this common trailer off as something special, and by its patchwork design effort suggesting it is an Airstream alternative.

Your many posts have indicated you are not buying this thing but shopping, and that is always a good thing. No group of campers will run you off because you show up with something different. It will never happen. We've had good times around the group campfire when all we had was a VW and a tent. But I don't think that's the question.

I think you are simply shopping, looking for suggestions and preferring an Airstream. To that I would suggest setting your sights on the genuine article. Imitators come and go with the wind. Airstream has been building riveted aluminum trailers for over 80 years. The design is good because it's honest; it looks like a riveted aluminum travel trailer because it is.

Get one, take good care of it and it will last a generation or two and look good all the way.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post

I care what we think, and base all my purchases off of majority opinion as stated by others on this forum...

So, I'm thinking about getting a different hair style and was wondering...

-Red

Oh yeah, are we disowning him or not? We really need to take a vote here so I know what to do.