Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Harder to toss one from an AS event if they are towing one of these: http://www.bowlusroadchief.com An amazing-looking hand-crafted travel trailer, even more expensive than AS.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Harder to toss one from an AS event if they are towing one of these: http://www.bowlusroadchief.com An amazing-looking hand-crafted travel trailer, even more expensive than AS.
Now, one of those, I would like to have.

Ken

Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I often wondered.....
Now I know.
It IS possible to hijack something while on motorcycles.

Ken
Yeah, I was almost smelling the mods coming like Ed Asner as Santa in ELF when the Central Park Mounted Police take notice.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Yeah, I was almost smelling the mods coming like Ed Asner as Santa in ELF when the Central Park Mounted Police take notice.
You know, I've seen them get concerned about some funny things, but don't remember any concern about hijacking. I actually don't care either. I just thought it was funny. Now I've hijacked the thread by changing the subject to hijacking.

Ya' just can't win unless you don't post at all and that's no fun.

Ken
Old 12-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
I don't understand the propensity of the SOB's to use that horrible gaudy swirl graphics on the sides and ends of an otherwise classy looking design. To me it looks tasteless, tacky, and ostentatious. It destroys the otherwise smooth lines that simplicity possesses. Kind of reminds me of the "razzle dazzle" camouflage that was used on naval ships during the WW's. Am I alone, or do others share my distaste for this showy vulgarity. Were I unfortunate enough to be given one of these behemoths, I would lament the passing of Earl Scheib.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I find the swirl designs in use since 2000 (?) to be awful to look at. The simple painted lines on SOBs from earlier years look so much better to my eye. The Aviator Wright Flyer is different from an AS in a number of obvious ways:
- height is 11'1", about 18 inches higher than an AS. Big difference right there. If there was anyway to get the two trailers next to each other (i.e., before a purchase!) those comparisons would be more apparent than pictures.
- air conditioner on the Wright Flyer is pretty boxy compared to the ones that come on Airstreams now
- The slide outs are a big difference, either good or bad depending on your point of view. Or maybe a little of both.
- I think there is some carpet in there somewhere.

Of course some Airstreams from years past also had slide outs. And carpeting. But at least the Aviator Wright Flyer has an exterior paint choice with no swirls! There is no "right decision", just "right for you".
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If I were not towing it down the road every day. I would choose the AWF over the A$.
I think there are different needs for those living 1/2 to full time in an RV.
A$'s are meant to travel. The huge SOB's are more to live in. Dragging one down the road routinely would not be my choice.
I do like the looks of the AWF, with or without the swirls.
I have seen a lot of rigs with the swirls pealing off. So I would probably go the "no swirl" route if I were ever to buy one.
No plans to do that in the near future anyway.
Besides! I have no clue what one costs.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I still think it's awful to look at. Like getting a camel when you want a horse. They both work, but . .

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
I can not imagine why you with SOB's are posting here. Seems that you are just envious of Airstream owners and are trying to justify your purchases. This is like comparing a KIA to a Mercedes or a hamburger to a steak. There is no other rig to compare with Airstream, though you may try to justify, it will never happen. It is built better, made to last a very long time, period. I have no problem w SOB's, I have friends with them, just don't try to compare them to an Airstream. So enjoy your purchases and we look forward to seeing you in an Airstream in the future.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #38

I believe someone here may be trying to justify their purchase, but perhaps you have named the wrong person.

We try to be a helpful, friendly, and welcoming place for all who are interested.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
I can not imagine why you with SOB's are posting here. Seems that you are just envious of Airstream owners and are trying to justify your purchases. This is like comparing a KIA to a Mercedes or a hamburger to a steak. There is no other rig to compare with Airstream, though you may try to justify, it will never happen. It is built better, made to last a very long time, period. I have no problem w SOB's, I have friends with them, just don't try to compare them to an Airstream. So enjoy your purchases and we look forward to seeing you in an Airstream in the future.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
KIA to MERCEDES!!! Are you kidding me?
The only thing that separates the 2 is the profile of the outer shell.
They both us the same appliances and accessories such as water heater, radio, air conditioner etc.
If any RV is neglected. It won't last a "life" time.
Take a look at how many, including myself spent the GDP of a small country to keep them in top shape both mechanically and visually.
While my 40 yr old Argosy is not as visually appealing to the eye as a new A$ or SOB. It is as sound mechanically as any new SOB or A$.
The 40 year old basic Dometic refer still works, the 40 year old Armstrong A/C still works. Even the furnace still works. But that has nothing to do with the fact that it is my Argosy.
These units were very basic and simply designed. None of this control board failure stuff. Or auto lighting etc.
I don't mind lighting the furnace, water heater and refer by hand. It gives me the chance to check things out.
When all of this stuff is automatic, it becomes invisible. Invisible = neglect.
SOB's develop leaks, so do A$'s.
I am not sure how many old "Canned Ham" trailers have frame failure problems but there are constant threads here about frame rot, failures and rebuilds.
I am not saying that A$ is any worse than the upper crust SOB. But I honestly don't think they are any better.
And I own one.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I'm unable to muster any emotion when it comes to sob's. Whatever. But those swirls? Man, I genuinely hate those swirls. It's a public proclamation of bad taste. Like playing the Eagles on outside speakers. Put the swirls *inside*.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
My guess is that the SOB ownership says, "Why change what is working?" People are still buying them so their is no real reason for them to update the look... To me it is similar to the XTREME product marketing. Whenever some brand wants their product to be edgy or cool they use bright lime green and modify the spelling to be different, but in the end it looks trashy and lame, almost being a parody of itself. Same thing most likely goes for the SOBs. They see everyone else has those "cool", "edgy" graphics and they don't want to be looked at as different, so they apply them as well...
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #42

I am having trouble understanding why someone's question about "will we shun him if he bought another brand", has turned into bashing the taste of anyone whose taste is different than ours. So I guess the answer is:
No we won't shun him we will just tell him how bad his taste is.
Let's try to have little class. Everyone one has different tastes. If you don't like someone else's taste, show an little maturity and realize we all have differences. If your goal in life is to make everyone a clone of you, you will find a dull world if you succeed.

Ken