Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #41
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
We're still chasing our tails on the 25' or 27' decision. I'd pretty much decided that the AirForum community's general advice--bigger is better--was right on. Then someone whose opinion I trust said: "Do you really want to buy something you can't bring home?" That completely stopped me in my tracks. My previous TTs were both the size that we could bring home to clean, wash, stock, service ... but it's unlikely that I can get a 27 in my driveway. That seems like a non-starter.

On the other hand, all of y'all with 30s and 34s and such surely can't get them in a residential driveway.

So, is this a big deal?
We got our 31 in our driveway, wherever we have had a driveway to put it in.
Bear in mind, the 25 is really 26' long, and the 27 is really 28' long. Both are 8.5' wide, versus the 7.5' of your 22'. Both are roughly 9'10" tall.
If you can get a 26' in your driveway, why can't you get a 28' trailer in your driveway?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmaype View Post
This is my ace in the hole if the Exella parked adjacent to the driveway gets cited since I live on a corner and it is technically prohibited in the side yard.

I joined the Universal Life Church.

Some federal court decision or law several years ago exempts religious organization from zoning regulations.

It will be the chapel.
Wow!! I like how you think!! Brilliant!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Storage at Home and at a Storage Lot

For tax purposes (Fairfax County, Virginia) we pay for a storage lot in Prince William County about 8 miles away from my house. I save about $2500/year (even after subtracting out the storage fees) having the storage lot paperwork to provide to the FFX County Board of Taxation. But, BUT I have built a parking pad in my side yard where we move the Escape Plan a week or so before we *intend* to travel to meet the requirement of the FFX County Tax assessor’s code. NOTE: we *intend* to travel every weekend, consequently, I pay for a storage lot in Prince William County that doesn’t get used all that much.

The pad is the first step of building a roof/carport/garage to protect the Escape Plan from falling hickory nuts, leaves, dead limbs and the prying eyes of the FFX County Tax Assessor’s drone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434E4E6-8216-44C2-8CA9-AA9C5FE67103.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	347681  
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Littleton , Colorado
We have always been fortunate enough to keep our 25' or 28' in our driveway. For a while we did store it and found that to be a big negative.

Having it near by means it can be an office, a guest house, easy to pack, easy to pull out that thing you forgot... Our current house is much smaller than our previous and it means we have a nice private guest house for visitor.

Spent all that $ on it and want to maximize my return.
icebox500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sacramento , California
Depends

If you don’t mind having the bed against the wall go with the smaller one and keep it home. We have a 27 and are able to keep it home and love having it here. Makes getting ready for trips so much easier plus having an extra oven and refrigerator at Thanksgiving is great!

We also use it as a guest house - That’s very handy with only one problem... it’s hard to get the guests to leave!
Phoebe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Quote:
We're still chasing our tails on the 25' or 27' decision. I'd pretty much decided that the AirForum community's general advice--bigger is better--was right on. Then someone whose opinion I trust said: "Do you really want to buy something you can't bring home?" That completely stopped me in my tracks. My previous TTs were both the size that we could bring home to clean, wash, stock, service ... but it's unlikely that I can get a 27 in my driveway. That seems like a non-starter.

On the other hand, all of y'all with 30s and 34s and such surely can't get them in a residential driveway.

So, is this a big deal?
Seriously? Literally thousands of trailer and motorhome owners live in apartments, condos, and communities which do not accomodate RVs. If you are not one of those, you are lucky.
dwilderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Hammond , Louisiana
27FB. Hands down.
lbillingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

yes , Georgia
I advise friends to get the smallest camper they can.
Big ones are great when parked, bad for driving.
I have friends who got biggest they could, but do not take it often because of the amount in gas they spend to drive and the size of it keep them from going to many non-campground locations.
With small ones it is nothing to just tow it around for no reason.
Everyone has their own list of needs and reasons to determine what they need… Yours are unique only to you
silverhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2015 20' Flying Cloud
Port Townsend , Washington
Take it Home

The cool thing about Airstreams is they can fit in a standard height garage (10ft). 28 ft and room to spare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	243586CF-3BD3-44F6-B2C2-B4CA0D0705B9.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	348123  
Ray Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
This or second Airstream over ten years - a 28' to a 30". We've never had room in our drive for either, so we are not able to use our 30' as an additional "guest room". Like others have posted we currently live in an HOA community where we are limited to a 72 hour park in from to our home which has always given us more than enough time to power up and stock the rig. Our storage facility ($64.00/month) is about fifteen minutes away. While I guess it would be nice to have the rig right out our door all the time, I would not have compromised the size rig we have for that capability.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
...the AirForum community's general advice--bigger is better...
My advice, and I've seen others give it too, is go as small as you can be comfortable in. I prioritize flexibility and easy maneuverability.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Buhl , Idaho
We bring ours home after every trip (its a 31 footer) - we can work on it, we can rent it, we have company that stays in it (they love it) and we can load it for a week before we leave. Of course we could park it anywhere on these 80 acres, but we usually put it beside the garage and between the chicken house. Nice to have it home, nice to use it when necessary, and since I seem to be handy at fixing things - you have to fix everything when you live on a farm - its ready to go when we get ready to go. However, sometimes the Mrs. sure pushes me to finish fixing something!!!!

Yes - I am being facetious!!! I know that those that live in the city are, sometimes, confined by rules and regulations about what can be parked where and for how long - but it sure comes in handy around here to have it home!

The Hoemstead
goodshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
If it gets unbearably hot here, I am planning on plugging in Bramble and turning on the AC for a more restful night's sleep (in my driveway)!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Arkansas
Remember a 25 is actually 26’ a 26 ft which we love has 27’ a 27 is 28 feet and get this a 28 is 27 feet! Check out total length not what they’re called😊
mysprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have had other trailers parked in the backyard, but decided to go bigger with the Airstream and that just doesn’t work. Added solar and found a great, locked
and guarded storage area...relatively inexpensive and they’ll do “concierge” service (for a price...) wash, wax, turn on the refrigerator, fill the propane & water.

We can put it in front of the house when we really need to and our neighbors are great about not complaining, although the they do want tours. No more overflow guests at night though.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #56

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While I keep my30’ Classic in a garage, I do bring it home for prep and maintenance. It fits the driveway.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C36AF304-50CD-478A-A428-89379D554406.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	348127  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Leonardtown , Maryland
It does bother me that I can't take my Airstream home. I'm unable to first because I have an HOA and two because my driveway is so steep I can't even back it up the driveway. When I do bring it by for loading/unloading or a wash, it has to happen in the cul-de-sac at the bottom of the driveway. My wife and I have decided that we will not move up in size until we move to a better property with hopefully a garage (pole barn) that can support our Airstream. Call us crazy, we'd rather downsize our house, and make decisions based on land and the convenience of having the Airstream at the house. If we had it our way, we'd be out camping every weekend, and it be easier to prepare for than having to pull the Airstream out of storage or trips throughout to week to make sure it's ready to go.
AMDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #58
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Our last house had a circular drive, oversize triple garage (with one overheight bay), and a large RV pad next to the garage.

Our current home is a strata, underground parking, with no parking for RVs of any type; public street parking is metered, with a 2 hour max during the day, if we want to use it for loading/unloading.

RVs are kept in storage some distance away. Along with any tow vehicle that is too large or too high (think full size pickups) which is kept there with the trailer. We do see one regular contractor bring a RAM 3500 and take up more than one space.

Choice of home beats choice of RV to us. We gained waterfront, views, and a lot of other things, including better access to everything apart from the RV (can't think of other examples), and it just is what it is. We also gained a more secure home that is safer and easier to leave when we do go on trips. We wouldn't consider moving.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
Bringing it home

My DH and have been camping for about 50yrs. We started in a tent, then a 64 shasta. When we decided to get an airstream, what was important to us was being able to get into most camp spots. So a 19-23 ft was what we looked for. We bought a 99 23' safari and its the perfect size. You just need to decide your priorities. Dragging a huge trailer is just not us. We cook and eat outside 90% of the time. We like being outside. Good luck on your search.
Onegdnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

the plains , Virginia
Check this

Our 25 at home under its shelter with full hook ups including sewer. When not traveling we use it for guest accommodations but we e live on a farm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D996584C-F544-457B-BF63-DFCB0977DAFC.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	348133  
jdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote