Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My 27 is in storage. We bought the house before the trailer - and since we never had a trailer before, we never bothered to check the rules - no trailer parking in the neighborhood. So - its in storage about 5 minutes from the house. Not ideal, not the end of the world. Knowing what I know now, I would prefer to have it home with me at all times, but having it in storage is basically a pretty great first world problem to have.

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Manhattan , Kansas
We moved into an area that has an HOA that cuts the grass, shovels the snow, replaces dead shrubs which leaves us with no outside duties. Before buying I got a copy of the HOA rules and it stated that you can park an RV/Boat in your driveway for loading and unload only. My Class A fit in the driveway and didn't block the sidewalk and I would bring in the later afternoon and all the safety checks and the next day would load it up and leave the next morning (36 to 48 hours). We store offsite and RV storage area. Everything was fine till the new president of the HOA decided he didn't what RV 's in the area (period). Make a long story short we ended up in court and the fact that we purchased the home with the plans of using loading and unloading the RV we were grandfathered into being able to do it. The HOA pressed the judge to set up a max time limit and the judge smiled and said: " as long as it takes the load and unloads the RV". They did change rules but doesn't affect us. It's shame that a bunch of old retired folks doesn't have anything else to do but seat around making up rules.

We do have offsite storage that's inclosed with 50 amp service about 10 minutes from the house.

CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
John & Vicki

WOW, that is gorgeous.

Out of curiosity only, not trying to pry (feel free not to answer) but are there covenants or guidelines in your area that prohibit the parking of the trailer.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We went around a bit about fitting into the drive. It's a *short* drive and the F-250 barely fits. We can park in the street. The neighbors are ok with it and it does not *appear* to violate any laws.

Most of the time, we are out camping in the trailer so the parking thing sort of solves it's self. If we are home more than a few days, the trailer goes into indoor storage at a lot up the road.

We only park out front when loading or unloading. Maybe when cleaning up. Might be when putting in the new electrical stuff. Sometimes when doing other things ...

No two cases are identical. In our case there is no traffic on the street so no significant risk of damage. We can run a power cord from the house to the trailer very easily. If I was on a major road, I probably would not want it sitting there overnight.

The neighbors have a smaller AS and a longer drive. They can get theirs in and off the street. Their normal "at home" pattern is almost identical to ours. A couple days at start or end of journey and then off to storage (or off to a campsite).

Others in the neighborhood have played games to be able to park trailers next to their homes. The shape / slope of our lot just won't allow that.

Would I own something that there was no way to bring home? I guess it would depend a lot on where it is stored. We *could* store about four minutes from the house in outdoor storage. I don't think that would keep me from owning a trailer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If I couldn't bring it home l, I wouldn't have it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks, everyone

I'm not shutting this down--it's not like when you say to your guests, "thank you all for coming"--because I find all of the comments enlightening. But I did want to say that I appreciate all of the thoughts. It's really helpful.

We already own a 22, which fits in our driveway fine. So we do own and will continue to own and AS or some kind. We're definitely moving up--the question is how far we can go with our physical or geographical parameters.

We'd love to have the 27, but the cost appears to be not ever being able to bring it home. Like others, we like to use it for an occassional guest room, private space when one of us needs to be by him/herself, and to prepare for trips, clean and do maintenance.) So if not being able to bring it home is the limiting factor, that means it's the 25, and you all have saved me $15,000!
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
I live in a townhouse that had HOA allows a camper for a few hours of loading, unloading or washing. I leave my wee 16 footer at storage in a storage lot 50 miles away (near work). I mostly camp near work so its better leave camper near work. The storage has 3 areas for washing so perfect!

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
We'd love to have the 27, but the cost appears to be not ever being able to bring it home. Like others, we like to use it for an occassional guest room, private space when one of us needs to be by him/herself, and to prepare for trips, clean and do maintenance.) So if not being able to bring it home is the limiting factor, that means it's the 25, and you all have saved me $15,000!
I sometimes like to take naps in mine on cooler days. Cozy and quiet!

Congrats on saving the $15K, and safe travels.

2018 30' Classic Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
200W portable solar
240Ah LifePo4 upgrade
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
John & Vicki

WOW, that is gorgeous.

Out of curiosity only, not trying to pry (feel free not to answer) but are there covenants or guidelines in your area that prohibit the parking of the trailer.
The picture is of a large ranch a block away from my house - that’s my view on my morning walk. Our neighborhood is a small (58 homes) gated community. The rules are not too restrictive as we’re allowed to park on the street for two nights on departure and return. Causes a bit of grumbling among some and we usually try to limit it to one night but whadayagonnado?
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Rules are rules. Abide by them or go tbrough procedures to change them.
xrvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
John and Vicki, that makes sense. Looked it up on Google Earth and can see it now. Very nice daily view and neighborhood.

Hittenstiehl
Old 07-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Xrvr,

Nobody was even thinking about breaking any rules.

Was just curious why their "looks like it's out in the country property" was unable to house their trailer.

Hittenstiehl
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
So if not being able to bring it home is the limiting factor, that means it's the 25, and you all have saved me $15,000!
Yes...correct answer!! Without a doubt, in your situation, I'd get the 25'.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I keep mine in storage, it’s my storage unit so it works good.

But about those rules, if I had rules like that in my neighborhood, I think I might just bring my trailer home a lend it out to Cousin Eddie.

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote