Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

mill springs , North Carolina
white roofs?

do the newer model airstreams have a type of rubber roof coating or cool seal? i noticed a few with white roofs. is it to keep int. temps down?
sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Keep'in it KEWL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereign
do the newer model airstreams have a type of rubber roof coating or cool seal? i noticed a few with white roofs. is it to keep int. temps down?
sovereign,
For some time now, Airstream has been using the "white roof"..
The metal sheet comes to the factory, from their supplier, with that white finis already coated on. Just what process they use I couldn't say.
You hit it on the head, so to speak..that's one of the benefits as it was explained during a factory tour.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To me it looks like some sort of enamel (sp) type paint as I have a chip by one of the rivets up there. I heard that there were two reasons for the white painted roof.

1) Keeps the typical black streaks that RVs get to a min

2) The main reason (I believe) is to keep the coach cooler in direct heat. I thought I recall them saying something like 10 degree difference between having the white roof and not having the white roof.

One thing is for sure, it is not a rubber type material as found on some SOBs.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm chassing a seam leak. I have serously thought about finding some sort of ruberized white coating to do the top in for both keeping it cool and sealing those seams. I think both cap joints have leaks from when the floor was rotten and alowing them to move to much. I have poped rivets on the inside from this.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I'm chassing a seam leak. I have serously thought about finding some sort of ruberized white coating to do the top in for both keeping it cool and sealing those seams. I think both cap joints have leaks from when the floor was rotten and alowing them to move to much. I have poped rivets on the inside from this.
Wanna revive this thread!

I know people use bed-liner on the front to keep rock damage down... If I mark off the same area on top that is white on the new A/S's, and prep it for paint, then apply a white ruberized roof material, wouldn't that pretty much seal any possible leaks plus make the top look a little better, AND give me some temperature benefits at the same time? I ask because I am going to do the lower front wrap with bed-liner or white ruberized roof coating to minimize some crinkles and to catch rocks on the road... Could just do it all at the same time!

Whatcha think?
dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
White Reflects Heat!

Yes, the white is for reducing heat in the trailer(s). Living in Texas for the past 22 yrs. it is a fact I learned the 'hard-way'! My last 3, & Debbie's last 4 vehicles, have been white ONLY for that reason.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I thought both about doing the roof and the belly on my ex-vintage with "bedliner" spray-on but always wondered about weight...
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
One of the other issues to consider is whether the applied material will chalk as it ages. Having white streaks down the sides from the material chalking would not look too good.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
How long before the white streaks start showing up? Couldn't they be counteracted by re-doing the white material?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
I had water leaks in my '72 Argosy. I used 3 coats of kool seal on the roof and down to the mid stripe on the side. I have no more leaks and the A/C works better in the Oklahoma heat. The Argosy is painted anyway. I roled the kool seal on and wish I had sprayed it on. Looks good and no white streaks. I do get black streaks from the A/C but it washes off.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #11
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmatlock
I had water leaks in my '72 Argosy. I used 3 coats of kool seal on the roof and down to the mid stripe on the side. I have no more leaks and the A/C works better in the Oklahoma heat. The Argosy is painted anyway. I roled the kool seal on and wish I had sprayed it on. Looks good and no white streaks. I do get black streaks from the A/C but it washes off.
Yep, I'm in Texas and heat is a problem in summer here too...

How long has the Kool Seal been on the coach now?

Anyone know what kind of prep I need to do before I put this on my 70 Overlander?
Old 08-01-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I am going to paint our 75 Argosy trailer this summer and after I paint it I am going to use a product called snow roof, it is supposed to be good, will let you all know how it works and also post some pic's.
Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
My kool seal has been on for 5 years and gets harder as time goes on.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:22 PM   #14
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Kool Seal makes an Aluminum Roof Coating:
http://www.koolseal.com/product_data...duct_id=20-496
Hmmm... SO I guess it is aluminum colored? Anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I plan to coat the top panel with Kool Seal (or similar) when I strip the clear coat. Had a long talk with Tom at Perfect Polish about this and he said many people are starting to do this to keep polishing and polish maintenance down on larger units. Seemed to make sense and should also help reduce temps inside.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #16
Gary & Lurleen

Kool seal

I will probably go this route also when I strip the roof of my 88 excella. The extra help to the cooling would be a definate plus here on the gulf coast. i will probably go from above the awning and across. i don't think it would be very noticeable from the ground. Anyone have any pictures of their unit and where they made the line when coating the roof?
DJbyRequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #17
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Yea... PICS?! I'd love to see what it looks like before I do mine...
Old 08-02-2004, 03:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Adds Insulation value?

I am guessing a bit here but it seems to me that the general thinking for having a white top (relative to cooling) would be to improve reflection of the heat. My guess is that in the case of using white instead of shiny aluminum that the reason the AC does not work as hard is not really because of better reflection but because of the fact that the white coating helps insulate the aluminum from the hot air surrounding the trailer. Is the white coating really going to reflect the heat better than a shiny aluminum surface? Does anyone know the relative merits of white vs. shiny aluminum regarding reflectivity? I do know that reflective insulation seems to always be very shiny aluminum and not white material.

As to why the factory might be switching to white it could be that there is a cost savings involved too.

I am not at all saying that putting the white coating on is a bad idea I am just speculating as to why it really helps. I certainly favor anything that will help prevent leaks in any case. I have even thought about coating the entire inside of my outer skin (I currently have the entire inner skin off) with something to help seal up leaks and insulate a bit.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Honestly I was thinking about it as 120 square feet that don't need polishing If it helps with the temps too then BONUS!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtolman
Kool Seal makes an Aluminum Roof Coating:
http://www.koolseal.com/product_data...duct_id=20-496
Hmmm... SO I guess it is aluminum colored? Anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work?
I have used another brand of aluminum roof coating and it was silver when I applied it and after a littler while it turned black, guess that was from dirt, but it would not wash off to silver again as it had a tar like texture.

If you are intent on painting the top of your unit white, all you really need to do is to first remove what is up there now, meaning plastic coat if yours is still good. You will need to use a striper for this, but be careful not to get any of it anywhere else or it will do its job there too.

Once you have your roof stripped and clean it is ready for the primer. Use an aluminum bonding primer. They are available in a white and a red color.

Once the roof has been primed you can paint any color you like on top of it and if you want to clear coat that color it will hold that as well. Normal painting techniques need to be followed.

This type of painting should last for 20 years with the right maintenance, but you will still need to seal your roof as per usual since the unit does flex as it is moving.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote