Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
What would you have done?

I have been looking for a mid 70's Tradewind for about 6 months. I found one on the vintage AS club classified that looked pretty good. Everything works, new tires and brakes etc. Traded emails for a month with the owner, saw lots of pictures. Made a deal with the owner for a little more then I thought it was worth, 300 down and the rest when I pick it up. Two days and 900 miles later I get to the trailer. This is what I found and what the owner said

Soft floor under every vent and at door. Never noticed that
Several holes in the skin. How did that happen.
Bottom pan with holes and tears. I never looked under the unit.
Rear jacks missing and ugly sissor jacks installed. I left the old ones down once,these are better.
Control pannel did not work. Never needed it.
Soft floor in all of bathroom. Never noticed that either
Oversize toilet that blocked the bathroom closet. Never used that closet.
Very musty smell in the bath. Never noticed that
Only three of the stove burner worked. Three is plenty
Manual jack with brand new bolts and cut wires from harness. Never had an electric jack

When I asked about the tires (not brand new) and brakes and bearings, I was told that the guy he bought the trailer from 2 years earlier told him they were new (no paperwork).

I was very depressed! Woke up the next morning and headed home without the trailer. What would you have done?

Still looking!
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Woke up the next morning and headed home without the trailer. Especially if the price was more than you wanted to pay.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Bummer! Many of us have had similar experiences. Check out this thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler+inspection We have a loosely organized forum member inspection service for just such long distance purchases. If it makes you feel any less alone - we drove almost 2000 miles round trip and had a similar result.

Keep looking - you'll find the right trailer -eventually.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
You did the right thing. Clearly, you were deceived, in the true sense of the term “good used car for sale” that should have said “old boat anchor for sale.” Sorry you spent all that time and money traveling. One will come along, keep looking.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #5

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
I would have renegotiated the price based on all the problems he forgot to "notice" and if a fair price could not be agreed upon I would have done exactly what you did. (left empty handed)

How a guy could let you drive 900 miles on a false pretense and still sleep at night is beyond comprehension. Clearly he suffers from a flawed character and you are better off not doing business with those types.

I hope you got your deposit back...

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Unfortuantely there are some unscrupulous folks out there as long as there are things that people want. It's unfortunate. Living in the Phoenix metro are, worthwhile units do come available. Be patient, one will come along. If I can offer assistance, let me know.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's an all too familar tale.....I would have laughed and walked (after you got your money back), unless you were looking to do a full restoration.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the kind replies. I am still looking
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Az

Been there done that - drove from Colorado to Oklahoma.....

I'm going to be selling my 75 this summer (assuming I get further down the road with my 58 restoration) if you are interested - you can see a picture of it in my photo section if you are interested.

Ken J.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
You did the right thing! Too much to tackle for a high price. Keep looking, We have a '75 and Love it!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Boy, can I ever relate to that? Check out my experience.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...4-a-19123.html

Glad everything worked out for you in the end, AZ (according to your post in the attached thread). Still waiting for my day with a buffer.....
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Exclamation Really sorry to hear that!

So sorry you went through that. Of course you made the right decision!
That's a shame that the person could not have been forthright, and that's information about him/her. He/she should have paid you for your gas/time. (tinsista is thinking unladylike thoughts about that person)
Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Smile finding the right one

so sorry to hear about that. i was lucky in that someone went to look for me, as the trailer was a ten hour one way drive. saved alot of pain i have been looking also, for many months and have learned alot about airstreams and people, some of which i did not need to know. very hard to buy a trailer long distance unless it is from someone that you know is reliable. i give up sometimes after a difficult experience. problem is i need a different trailer to go on wbcci caravans.... join the group of disappointed shoppers, but hopefully the right one is out there for you and for me....dieterdog
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster

I was very depressed! Woke up the next morning and headed home without the trailer. What would you have done?

Still looking!
If it was not a bargain price, you did the right thing, no telling what you would find once you started to take it apart. Good luck, I looked for almost a year before we found our Tradewind. Every one we looked at pushed us to try to find one partially restored and upped our $ ceiling...

Even then we had plenty to work on
http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream.htm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
1989 29' Land Yacht
Diana , Texas
Sorry to hear about your misadventure! It took us 2 yrs. to find our 71 Safari. We looked at many before we found one that was in sound condition. Just needed a little TLC. Keep looking, it will be worth the wait!
texastwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
There's always a reason.

It took us months to find our dream. I would get so upset when I would call about one that was in my price range and was told it was already sold. My husband would always say there was a reason for that. We were at the point of just forgetting our dream. Then one night I just happen to get on this forum as I had done in the past for hours and there it was our dream. The owner had just listed 5 min before I called him, we spoke for a total of maybe 20 mins. He emailed more pictures and we bought it over the phone. We left on Friday night the whole trip there I worried 500 miles of worry. But everything was just as the po had stated and it was all worth it.
So I'm telling you like my husband always preaches that happened for a reason.

The lacy's
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Congratulations on being able to walk away and not let the long drive and disappointment get in the way of your still looking. Too often people think they can mislead others and that as long as they get their money out of it then it's okay to mislead and cheat. You don't even want to deal him down because he still gets what he wanted, you to drive all that way and pay him money for his problem trailer. When you do find the right one you will appreciate it that much more.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Net purchase thoughts....

Hello all -

To those looking for "that special unit".... Keep at it! Go and look at EVERY unit you can get to in your area. Even if it isn't what you want, in your price range, wrong year, length, etc... They only help you with the 'right one' when you do wind up finding it, either in person or on the net.

My own personal tale ( for those that care!) was of looking for about 8 months, locally and on the net. Went into every trailer I could find (wife HATED that!) and the kids got bored after a few... When I did wind up finding what looked to be a 'right' trailer on the net, all the walk through experience helped with the sense of space, condition, originality, etc....

Went through lots of net trailers that seemed to be OK, but all raised "Red Flags" in some way or other. Some were coy on questions, some with no or few pics, unsure of this and that when I called to ask about.... Scraped all of them. When I did find 'SilverToy', the PO knew all the details and was more than happy to talk about them at length ( good!), LOTS of pics including special requests from me( good!). In short, no red flags. Still had lots of nervousness since these babies ain't cheap!

Bit the bullet and made a provisional offer. PO said that if I was disappointed in his representation or the condition or anything else, he would pay for 1/2 my trip to Utah. Reassuring! Naturally, it all worked out GREAT and SilverToy is now our family member.

I am still a 'nervous nelly' when it comes to things that I can't see and touch, ebay and cousins, but my experience was nothing but positive. That red flag deal is one that works well for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Las Vegas , New Mexico
I feel lucky after reading all the sad tales. I looked for 2 months for a 79 25' Tradewind and located one 320 miles away. I E-mailed owner and recieved pictures. I arranged to see it. Everything was almost what owner had stated. I bought it right there and brought it home and now am busy personalizing "George". My girlfriend is an interior designer and is replacing upholsery, curtains, etc. I am putting down a "Bruce" 1/4 inch oak laminate floor. I will post before and after pictures when I learn how.
POLECAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
AZ - You never said what the owner wanted for the less than desirable coach. You mentioned that it was a little higher than you thought it was worth but I wonder what he was asking. I would trust that your instincts told you that what ever he was asking, it was not worth it based on the condition it was in, but if you are anything like me, I did not know ice cream from shinola in the beginning.

When I bought my 74 tradewind I was very naive. I remember haggling with the owner about things like it not having an awning and the fact that the battery and water fill compartments were not accompanied by keys. There was a little dent in the curbside wheel wells and the battery was missing. I debated for 2 weeks, back and forth and he would not bend even a little. Despite me, he knew it was a fair price.

Because the couch was 2 blocks from my house I figured I was saving there not having to travel across country. When I finally got it home I figured I would have it tuned up in a couple months. After messing around in it and pulling things apart I decided to completely restore it but because it reminded me of my grandmothers living room not because it was broken down. I did not like it aesthetically.

Once I tore open the belly pan and got everything out of the inside and saw the condition of all the things that really matter, like the floor and frame and the fact that it was all there and all original I realized that I had a nice solid coach. The things that really mattered to me in the beginning, matter little now.

What I thought was a fair to slightly high price then, I realize now was low. If it were not for this forum I would not have a sense of what my trailer is really worth, but I went from feeling like I paid a premium price to knowing now after months of education and hands on work that I got a deal.

I sympathize with you that the one you looked at had obvious problems and needed serious work and you traveled far and came away empty handed, but if it was being sold for 1000 dollars as opposed to 6000 dollars, in spite of the condition, it might have been a deal. What was he asking for it ?

Good luck in your search !

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote