Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #21
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yeah, I know it wasn't original, neither was mine. It just looked like the same guy did my interior too. Dark as it was. All of the original mahoganey had four coats of paint and was a bear to strip off. Why anyone would paint beautiful mahoganey is beyond me. Look familiar?

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GuttedGalley.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	33108  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel
Trying to figure out what model my friends 1961 Airstream is. The outer nameplates does not say what model it is. The trailer is a single axle about 22ft. long from tongue to bumper. The vin no. is #22DSS0566 and hoping some of you Airstream gurus can help out. I've looked on the net but can't find a trailer like his yet.
Nice trailer!

The serial number you have here is just a few up from the one listed here:

61Safari22TDSS0548

Take a look at the others that are depicted from 1961 Safaris and FCs. (great resource site for hunting down years and models!)

Looks like the Custom Safari is correct but the only thing I see is the serial number you have does use 'D' for double.
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Well here's what I found out last night after going by my friends house. We pulled out all the original paper work and went through all of it. We found the orignial paperwork showing all the original options that went with the his trailer that was checked off by the dealer that he hadn't noticed before. From what I gathered from the paperwork and things circled. There were 3 option of trailers offered. The "standard" model, "land yacht" model and "international" model and that being the top of the line the international. His was circled on a piece of original dealer paperwork as being a "1961 22' ft. International Flying Cloud". There was some paperwork written down by the original owner that the sell price of the trailer brand new was $4,877.00.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #24
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is from an earlier posting in another thread about the three different models available for our era of trailers:

Here's the info from an earlier post, This is the most complete info regarding model offerings I have found. Only applies to our era of trailer ~

"LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel"
In reviewing some early '60s Airstream promotional material I have, I found a two page info sheet entitled "LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel." I'll post some of the information:

"A 'Land Yacht' is a personal highway cruiser manufactured by Airstream, and specifically designed and outfitted, down to the last luxurious detail, for unlimited road voyaging. A Land Yacht is no mere house trailer, or so-called mobile home, pressed into service for weekend or vacation use. Indeed a conventional trailer no more resembles a Land Yacht than a canal barge compares to travel-cruise luxury liner." Wally at his best

On the second page of this flyer, is the best designation I have found to explain the distinctions between the model lines:

"The Airstream Fleet
Every Airstream is built to the same rigid construction standards and must satisfy the travel specifications of the world's most adventurous roamers – the Wally Byam Caravanners. Chassis, running gear, body design and basic equipment have proved their ability to take the punishment of Etheopian roads as successfully as they cruise the turnpikes of Pennsylvania. The same essential comforts are found in any Airstream—airfoam beds, efficient space heater, well-planned galley and attractive interior decoration.

The STANDARD Airstream features the famous road-worthy qualities of all Airstreams. It has the best in convenient equipment and appliances such as an ice-electric refrigerator, electric hot water heater, 110V wiring, copper water lines with easily accessible input connections and regulation drainage outlet.

The LAND YACHT Series If you plan to spend time away from the beaten path where commercial facilites are not available, you'll probably want one of the Land Yacht series. All Airstream Land Yachts, from 18 foot to 30 foot models, are completely outfitted for extended stays away from the standard light, water and sewer connections. The equipment that makes this self-containment possible includes a pressure water system with tank and air compressor, 12V electrical system (in addition to the regular 110V wiring) with battery and 12V light fixtures—this also operates the air compressor that keeps water running to all faucets...a gas refrigerator and gas hot water heater...a marine-type toilet equipped with hand spray flushing device to conserve water and the Airstream sanitator, to provide toilet convenience away from a sewer hookup.

The INTERNATIONAL LAND YACHT Series is the last word in travel luxury, combining every Airstream engineering achievement with elegant interior furnishings. Beautiful materials are used for the upholstery; draperies are tastefully lined; matching bed spreads are included as well as wall pads to give the appearance of a couch. All fabrics are chosen for carefree maintenance and resistance to wear under the most exacting conditions. Cabinets are exquisitely finished. Self containment is developed to the highest degree in these models. Any new equipment available here or abroad is tested for possible inclusion to make the International the most independant and luxurious. The basic additional features include a water purifier, 12V electrical system throughout including a 12V ceiling ventilator fan and 12V outlet for a shaver and other appliances. Two oversize gas tanks with automatic switch-over regulator, space heater, police-type radio antenna and deluxe hub caps. The features of the International Land Yacht models are not "frozen," they are subject to constant improvement to give their owners the very best.

There is an Airstream model to suit your dreams. Whichever one you choose will take you on the happiest travel-adventures anywhere in the world.

*If it isn't an AIRSTREAM, it isn't a LAND YACHT"

This use of the term Land Yacht is probably not the first use of it in Airstream literature or promotional materials. Wally sure had a way with words. This is, no doubt, a reflection on his days as an advertising exec.

Brad
FF

P.S. Any way to get a copy of that documentation for the VAC Historian, Fred Coldwell? He's always collecting historial paperwork from the factory and dealers.

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
My guess would be that she is a Flying Cloud with a bunk bed option rather than the Jalouse windows by the door.

Also someone had a question on what the SS stands for: Santa Fe Springs

The serial number is at the flying cloud end rather than the Safari - and typically the California models in 61 did not have the model emblems (bummer cause I wanted one for my Overlander)

61 was a changeover year too if I am not mistaken and they were all trimed out with brass edges on the inside and had some of the "International trim level" upgrades. But Fred the historian can tell you the scivy on that one.

Whatever she is - she sure is pretty - love her stacks!

Yippi - I won I won this will be the first break I have had in a few days!!!

Just started to get the Hubby's summer runner ready - and bamp $272 for a new alternator she is stiff as a board!!!

Computer died and on my way to take her in - so I am using a clunker with a keyboard that you need sledge hammers to peck at. Took me too long last night to get onto the forums cause I forgot my password

We are expecting a big storm so my schedule has all changed and have to run into town - no gas cause of two big fires and now the truckers are on strick to take the gas to people - gees people can't figure em out sometimes.

So my only pleasure in life right now is "Airstreams" and I think the one your friends have is a real littel gem...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #26

1961 22' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
I know it has been many years since anyone posted on this thread, but I wanted to let anyone interested know that this trailer is still alive and was delivered to my brother this past Saturday.
TXphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Pics when it's convenient (would be nice).

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags