Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I watched a 1985 25' sell on eBay last spring for 14K that was absolutely gorgeous. It had the same windows on the back as the front which I really liked, and to us looked as close to new as you'd find in a 20+ year old trailer. There was a young lady, I think her name was Myra, thinking of acquiring an Airstream at the time and we put her on to it but she did not pursue it that I'm aware. That trailer was in outstanding condition, appeared to need nothing, and I traded a number of emails with the seller and he was extremely straight up, sent many additional pictures, and was very open to if you come and it's not what I said it was you don't have to buy it. It went for the buy it now. I was sort of sitting back wondering if the young lady was actually going to pursue it and someone else hit the buy it now and scooped it. I just hate when that happens.

There are good used one's available and there are some really good ones for sale, you just have to watch daily. People's circumstances change and their pride and joy becomes available to someone else. There are quite a few of us on the Forum who will take a look at a trailer that is nearby and give your our unofficial opinions as well.

Also, the dealers often take trades, but as well they often have folks who want to sell their existing trailer before committing to the new one and I'm sure in those cases they'd be pleased to pass your name on. It doesn't hurt to contact the Airstream dealers in your area and mention to them what it is you are looking for.

Barry

Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I watched a 1985 25' sell on eBay last spring for 14K that was absolutely gorgeous. It had the same windows on the back as the front which I really liked, and to us looked as close to new as you'd find in a 20+ year old trailer. There was a young lady, I think her name was Myra, thinking of acquiring an Airstream at the time and we put her on to it but she did not pursue it that I'm aware. That trailer was in outstanding condition, appeared to need nothing, and I traded a number of emails with the seller and he was extremely straight up, sent many additional pictures, and was very open to if you come and it's not what I said it was you don't have to buy it. It went for the buy it now. I was sort of sitting back wondering if the young lady was actually going to pursue it and someone else hit the buy it now and scooped it. I just hate when that happens.

There are good used one's available and there are some really good ones for sale, you just have to watch daily. People's circumstances change and their pride and joy becomes available to someone else. There are quite a few of us on the Forum who will take a look at a trailer that is nearby and give your our unofficial opinions as well.

Also, the dealers often take trades, but as well they often have folks who want to sell their existing trailer before committing to the new one and I'm sure in those cases they'd be pleased to pass your name on. It doesn't hurt to contact the Airstream dealers in your area and mention to them what it is you are looking for.

Barry
thanks Barry, that was very inspiring.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
sandra, there's also the iowa boys in sun valley in the LA area.

don't really know much about their work, but i did see it in one of the magazines somewhere. Iowa Boys, LLC - Vintage Trailer Sales & Restoration 818-764-4796
good to hear things are well up there. yes, i did check out the Iowa Boys. very nice work as well. they all do very impressive work. but, i now see it is out of my budget. maybe one day when i'm looking to seriously upgrade and specialize. it would be worth it...because i LOVE the kraftmanship.

Sandra
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
We bought both of our trailers on Ebay. Both transactions were smooth and easy. Not everyone has had a positive experience... our Flying Cloud was gutted when we bought it and she is currently disassembled... off the frame... our Cloud originally had a rear end bed and bath on the street side as far as we can determine. Hubby is still thinking about how he wants to reconfigure it... Our Bambi looks pretty much original... all the interior was there and the appliances all worked! But hubby went through everything! Here is his thread on our Bambi restoration. It is a long one, but can give you an idea of what to expect if you had someone do one for you!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

The suggestion of going to a rally to find a trailer and see others is a excellent one! Usually at rallies there are "tours" of everyone's trailers and you can really pick up good ideas! Take your camera and take pics of what you like! Have fun shopping for the perfect trailer!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
Oh boy! i see what you mean. OK...i get it. i need something that is travel ready...now! maybe at some other point i will do a Vintage remodel/rebuild. thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sandra,

Any news on your search?

Gene
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Hi Gene,

i have been looking at Vintage trailers around the area for sale. nothing yet. my thought has been to get something that was travel ready but not maybe in prime shape. a trailer that i could fix up as I go along. but, every now and then i see a new Bambi 19' in the classifieds, which i have always liked as well. then my thoughts go to getting a later model and just finance it. so the dream goes on. i'll keep you updated if anything come along.

thanks for checking in. have a great holiday.

Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Sandra,

Any news on your search?

Gene
Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Sandra, What did you decide to buy, Im in the same boat!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #78
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
... Im in the same boat!
maybe, but there are a 1000 ways to float that boat...

here is what she did...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...uty-38822.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ter-55576.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
New Bern , North Carolina
I wanted vintage; my wife wanted new. We compromised and got 1988 that had been kept in a warehouse when not used. It was a little more $ than a restored vintage but half the price of new. It had all the extras. Other than the colors being 1980's...which aren't that bad, we both are satisfied. It looks brand new. We found it on ebay and got a sell now price.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
maybe, but there are a 1000 ways to float that boat...

here is what she did...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...uty-38822.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ter-55576.html

cheers
2air'
Hi there,

2air, thanks for passing on my story. i hope it helps one way or the other. reflecting back on it...i realize that i let my heart pick my first trailer instead of my brains. i love my little trailer but, it needed an overhaul. it is completely gutted and i'm going on my second year of not being able to use her. i'm only on my windows and the '58 are a nightmare to restore. anyway, my feelings are... always ask at least 3 peoples thoughts on a particular trailer you are about to buy. regardless of that you love, love, love it. my great gift in my situation is that i'm learning how to rivet and work with aluminum and rusty nuts and bolts.

smiles,
sandra
Old 06-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #81
MichiganSilver

1978 25' Tradewind
Saline , Michigan
What is the opinion about a '78 tradewind for desirability as a vintage model. It has the vinyl patterned dividing walls at the bathroom. some wood want-to-be tambour in the lower kitchen cabinets, and the light colored plastic tambour overhead storage. Looks like a beauty from the outside, but the inside looks like a cross between the earlier 70's and a more modern model. No wood to speak of.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #82
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
In the 70s wood was removed from the interiors to save weight and costs.
The Trade Wind is a nice size trailer that two people and a couple of pets can fit into nicely.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I think any trailer will be what you make it....

As far as Vintage is concerned with every year spent in ones life another year of Airstreams becomes eligible to be called vintage.

Heck in 2030 my 05 CCD will be a vintage and I'll be a young 69!! ha the same year as our very first airstream - and that model year was the first year I ever saw an airstream on our very first black and white television watching the moon landing and a week later them astronaughts land in the ocean and stay in the Airstream Quarantine mobile.

Me well I am already double vintage - so who the heck cares...Don't like the plastic replicate it all to wood. Don't like the wood replicate it all to aluminum laminate - or krylon to your hearts content to have an array of "rainbow" colours.

Point is it will be yours so you make it how it makes you happy - cause you are the one using it and sleeping in it and towing it. For the others with opinions - ha well they have their own units to gawk at tee hee.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #84
MichiganSilver

1978 25' Tradewind
Saline , Michigan
So true. It is so hard to come by the tradewinds. Would love to find an 80 caravelle, but that is harder yet. Traveled to see some pretty bad wreaks last year this one looks promising