Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Crispyboy, keep us updated on your restoration. it sounds like it's going to be just what you wanted but, a lot of work which you seem to be up for. good luck and thanks for the suggestion.

Sandra

Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
We are glad to hear you are okay! We went through a big earthquake in the 80s and at the time had a motorhome. We were lucky... the earthquake was on a Monday and we had been out the weekend before. Hadn't unpacked yet. She was full of water, even had cold beer in the fridge! We just "moved in"... all services in town were out, no water, no sewer, no power... downed buildings.... after that experience we have always had some kind of trailer/camper generally with emergency supplies in it.... just in case! Don't we love our Airstreams!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
fantastic!! it is that kind of story that makes me just so much more sertain about getting a home on wheels. i will have mine stocked with champagne!! you never know...

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
ok, back to my original topic Vintage vs. New. there is a 2000 safari 19' for sale for 20,000 in the classifieds. it seems to be in good shape. but, now if i could possibly get a gutted vintage trailer for between 1500 to 2500 and have it completely rebuilt as new by one of these companies that do this. could i then get a longer lighter trailer that is custome for 20,000...or around there somewhere? or am i dreaming?

Sandra
Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
It is all about dreams.... :)

Probably dreaming... but not if you do the work yourself... If you have to pay for labor.... no way. You might, however, might be able to find a vintage trailer that has been restored or many upgrades for the same amount. If you look carefully, you just might find what you want! We looked several years for our Bambi, then hubby did a frame off restoration. Not counting his time we have more in it than we could get for it.... but we love it and it is worth it to us!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Probably dreaming... but not if you do the work yourself... If you have to pay for labor.... no way. You might, however, might be able to find a vintage trailer that has been restored or many upgrades for the same amount. If you look carefully, you just might find what you want! We looked several years for our Bambi, then hubby did a frame off restoration. Not counting his time we have more in it than we could get for it.... but we love it and it is worth it to us!

that is soo great to hear. i see that you have a Flying Cloud as well. i have fallen in love with a 1975 Flying Cloud II. i saw one in the book " Airstream Living". i just loved it. does yours have an rear end bed? and were did you find both of your trailers...if you don't mind me asking. i guess just taking time and getting out there looking is what it is all about. i won't settle.

Sandra

0h, i really should turn off my computer and go to sleep. first night that i have a chance to get some real rest. i will pick up from here tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsbeddor
ok, back to my original topic Vintage vs. New. there is a 2000 safari 19' for sale for 20,000 in the classifieds. it seems to be in good shape. but, now if i could possibly get a gutted vintage trailer for between 1500 to 2500 and have it completely rebuilt as new by one of these companies that do this. could i then get a longer lighter trailer that is custome for 20,000...or around there somewhere? or am i dreaming?

Sandra
Sandra,

The cost of a vintage trailer rebuilt by a restoration company will cost you about the same as a new trailer of the same length. Restoration companies charge $75 to $100 per hour for their labor, plus parts. Please listen to TheVAP.com, new episode due out tomorrow, they have discussed the cost of restoration. In fact, Tim Shepard, the host, summarized the cost of his Ambassador recently.

The El Camino Real Unit of WBCCI has their installation rally in Oceanside the first weekend of December. This unit is heavy in Vintage trailers. Give me a PM and I will give you information on the rally. We are not attending until the luncheon on Saturday and the festivities Saturday evening. Since you are close, you could drop by on Saturday afternoon and see many vintage trailers. From time to time, trailers are for sale. One of the best places to find Airstream trailers for sale is a WBCCI rally.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
that happens to me so many times on here

be safe, we're not near any danger here in venice, but it is on three sides of us. i went for a short run this morning and could see the smoke all around, especially coming from malibu.
David, how are the situation up north with the fires? down here we have gotten some control over it. atleast in North County San Diego. i know there are some fires down south still and east. hope all is well with you and yours.

sandra

now i'm going to sleep...really.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Ebay...

Quote:
that is soo great to hear. i see that you have a Flying Cloud as well. i have fallen in love with a 1975 Flying Cloud II. i saw one in the book " Airstream Living". i just loved it. does yours have an rear end bed? and were did you find both of your trailers...if you don't mind me asking. i guess just taking time and getting out there looking is what it is all about. i won't settle.
We bought both of our trailers on Ebay. Both transactions were smooth and easy. Not everyone has had a positive experience... our Flying Cloud was gutted when we bought it and she is currently disassembled... off the frame... our Cloud originally had a rear end bed and bath on the street side as far as we can determine. Hubby is still thinking about how he wants to reconfigure it... Our Bambi looks pretty much original... all the interior was there and the appliances all worked! But hubby went through everything! Here is his thread on our Bambi restoration. It is a long one, but can give you an idea of what to expect if you had someone do one for you!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

The suggestion of going to a rally to find a trailer and see others is a excellent one! Usually at rallies there are "tours" of everyone's trailers and you can really pick up good ideas! Take your camera and take pics of what you like! Have fun shopping for the perfect trailer!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Claudia, 1000 posts ? , dang, you went right by me.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
i found a company who is out of Colorado, i think, that restore and remodel vintage trailers. they are called " Timeless Travel Trailers" have you heard of them? they look pretty impressive...and probebly very expensive as well. but, very nice custome work.
I know Timeless Travel Trailers...they are about 5 miles from my house. Between work & home, so I stop by occasionally.

I've had a few small pieces done by them - a new outrigger, new rear crossframe member, repaired our step bracket - done by them recently for our '56 Safari which we are restoring ourselves. These were things we could not do ourselves - Brett & Paul were more than accomodating.

They do nice work on all sorts of trailers - not just Airstreams. I love stopping by to see what they have in the shop! Last time I was there they had a '43 Spartan Manor (the long one with the sloped front window) and the were converting it to a 5th wheel! Very cool...the bed was going up front in that cool window area...not original but 100% customized to the owner's plans.

The price for a complete vintage restoration by almost any shop of pros is going cost the same as a new trailer +/-. A friend had an estimate done by Timeless Travel Trailer for his '66 Overlander. It was going to be about $55K (not including the floor & frame because it was already totally done) to complete the restoration. A lot of money, but fair for the quantity & quality of work they provide. All the work is based on current "shop rates" of course - if I was in the business, I too would want to be compensated for my time...it is a business after all. - gotta feed the kids!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #67
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would think that with a $20,000 budget you will find a sweet trailer. Keep an eye on the classified in this forum and The Tin Can Tourist site. Someone out there has a ready to go vintage unit that they have spent way too much time and money on. They have been done with the project for awhile now, and want to do it again. I looked at those two classified daily for a year. My trailer was on the Tin Can Tourist site for a month before the previous owners tried to sell her on ebay. I know that if I had a $20,000 budget, I would not be dealing with leaking windows and rotten floors. Many excellent units came and went on the classifieds that were just out of my budget. Be warned though, there are many other trailers than Airstream out there. On the Tin Can site, you will be seeing a lot of them and you may find a Silver Streak or a Spartan that you cannot resist. Going to that rally would be a good thing to do. It will open your eyes to the different models, different eras, and different ways folks renovate their trailers. It will also introduce you to a great bunch of people that are extreme in their passion for these beautiful machines.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
David, how are the situation up north with the fires? down here we have gotten some control over it. atleast in North County San Diego. i know there are some fires down south still and east. hope all is well with you and yours.
hi sandra,

glad you fared as well as could could given the circumstances. we're fine here. we were getting some smoke from the malibu and san bernardino fires but it seems to be a little clearer today. i believe the malibu fire is 100% contained. crazy times for sure.

if you want to camp within the next year, definately get a newer unit. if you're looking for a year long project, then vintage could be the way to go. you could spend 20K on vintage trailer before your done, even if that included doing most things yourself.

something to think about, i don't know if it's going to be harder to find a trailer in your area, given that many people are going to be looking for some kind of temporary shelter. i saw a 2000 bambi for sale for 22k the other day on craigslist, but it's not there now. good luck and keep us posted

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sandra, glad to hear you and your office are ok. I expect things will be somewhat chaotic around there for a while.

Your question about the Colorado restorer got answered (I didn't know anyway). My experience with remodeling is I save on labor by doing it myself, but spend more on building materials, etc., because I save on labor—then there's aggravation, time, and stress and aggravation. There is also praise at the end. I think I save a little bit and get a better end result. A trailer is much more difficult I would think. A whole house reduced to 200 sq. ft. for a 25'. Remodeling a bathroom is the most difficult room to me—lots of stuff, small area, expensive items. Tools always in the way. Trying to use it at the same time. Kitchen remodel also hard. Seems like a trailer would be even more of the same. I admire those who restore trailers. Quite a challenge and that's why commercial restorers are going to charge a lot.

Gene
Old 10-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
sandra, there's also the iowa boys in sun valley in the LA area.

don't really know much about their work, but i did see it in one of the magazines somewhere. Iowa Boys, LLC - Vintage Trailer Sales & Restoration 818-764-4796

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote