Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
thanks Gene,
i have all the time on me to find the right one...however, like you said it is easy to get caught up in all the silver!! i think i have narrowed it down to the Safari SE 19'. it's the perfect size for my TV. i like the 25' but, that is too heavy. the 19' feels good. it will be cozy with my two dogs and my son but, that's what it is all about. i agree about the panoramic window but, i have not seen a later model with them. what year did they start making those...do you know? the pre-owned from 3-7 years ago that i have seen only have the small windows. oh, i'm a chiropractor and even though i only work part time because of my son, i still don't have the time for restoration and sertainly don't have the experience only the fantasy. i'm already looking at camp sites to reserve!! i figured " if you build it they (it) will come". thanks again for your insight and good luck with yours.
Sandra
ps. i am 42 and i wish i had the energy i had at 22.
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
It is all personal choice...

Hello,

We have vintage, and small! It is great for us! And I love our little Bambi. Towing isn't a huge deal with our vintage vehicle either. However, we did a complete frame off restoration. The good news is, my hubby knows the trailer inside and out fairly well after rebuilding her! So, when something breaks or goes wrong... only can blame ourselves. It was less expensive for us to go this route than to purchase new. We also have confidence in what our trailer can and cannot do. As we chose to keep the interior original we don't have some conveniences that newer models do... but it is compensated in many ways. For example, our fridge works on convection, so no drain on battery, but it keeps food nice and cold! But smaller than newer models of the same size offer.

It all boils down to what you want. You can have vintage and all the newer stuff inside, many have gone that route. Just depends on if you are willing to do the work, or pay for it.

Lots of good advice on this thread. I agree with 2Air, rent a MoHo or trailer and give camping a good try. See how it goes. It is a big commitment if you actually use your trailer. I hate to see so many trailers just sit in a parking lot... many are like boats, they just sit in the marina and aren't used more than once a year... camping brings lots of good times and friends. Well worth the price any way you go!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There are many highly qualified restorers out there that can put you in a "new" vintage trailer for what you are going to spend at a dealer... Your airstream is out there just waiting for you to find her. A newer 19' unit is very heavy compared to a vintage unit of much larger size. You may be able to tow a much larger trailer than you realize. A new bambi today weights more than a Soviegn in 1958. Close to twice the trailer for less weight. If you are thinking new/used, you should look into a restored unit. Things are not constantly breaking on my 1962 and it has never been restored, yet... I am handy. I can make the time to do it myself, not everyone can. Everthing one does on their Airstreams always takes much longer than could ever be expected. Everything on an Airstream will eventually break that is a given... you will have to fix something, that is a given...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sandra,

I don't know when panoramic windows at both ends showed up, but perhaps the short ones never had them. The second one is an option and the first one shows up on the Safari SE, but not the Safari, and I believe is on all the Internationals and Classics. Over the years there are so many models, one has to check everything out.

What we didn't like about the 23' and shorter was that in the ones with rear beds and baths, the bathroom door hits the bed and we had to go into the bath sideways. Try sitting on the toilet—we're 5'9" and 5'10"—our knees hit the door. How tall will your son get? If he wants to use the bathroom while you're sleeping on the bed, you may be awakened. Sons are full of energy and a 19' may seem really small to him. An older, lighter, bigger model may be a better bet, even for those short trips to the beach. Look for recommendations on restorers. Here in western Colorado, we have few of those resources, but in California you have a lot of support through the Forum.
Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

I have to agree with Aaron on this one. From what I read on the newer ones, the repairs seem to never end. We have owned three vintage trailers and they sure seem to be built better.

Gloria Pace
WBCCI 7287
72 Sovereign
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Gene and the rest of the responding guys and gals, thanks again. today we have had fires all over and around us here in San Diego. my office is in Rancho Bernardo which has been burning all day. we don't know how the building is if it's still there. the FRWYs have been closed down so i have been at home all day keeping the baby and the dogs indoors due to all the smoke in the air. we are all packed and ready if we are asked to evacuate...but, it looks like the fire is moving away from us now. while packing up the car i was thinking about my future trailer and thought that all the great points everone made so far really needed to be reconsidered. so i will read all the posts over again because there are some very good advice in them and everytime i think i have come to some decision i read a new post and think...oh that is true as well. so here i am with some time on my hands tonight because going to bed will be hard to do with all that's going on around us. also being faced with the possibility of loosing your home gives you new perspective on a "house on wheels".
Old 10-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #47
_

. , .
the fires are tough...

and like so many big natural actions,

they are humbling.

while you continue the tour, take a look at THIS threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...ast-29471.html

just a couple of guys with an almost 1 year used 23 safari.

they take regular and varied outings and ENJOY the 'steamin...

not so far from you.

highly personalized and fitting 2 the t

so don't over analyze..

and perhaps make it to a socal rally where several happy campers and their trailers can be viewed.

the longer you look, the warmer the aluminum flame glows...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the longer you look, the warmer the aluminum flame glows...
Truer words have never been spoken...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Floresville , Texas
I am a new Airstream owner. We bought the 25ft 75th Anniv Edition of the International (07). To a prospective buyer considering vintage vs new, I would recommend vintage if quality is important. The new unit we have looks nice and is of comparable quality to our Forest River Salem LE that we traded in. It is not as good as our first Jayco in terms of apparent workmanship. However, our problems so far have been fixable (leaking roof, furnace problems, propane line leaks etc). Hope this helps the decision.

Bob Reeves
rreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #50
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sandra, I hope the fires stay away. We have a friend here with many friends in S. California and he was showing some anxiety last night. We live in a piñon/juniper/cedar forest in very dry western Colorado and worry about the inevitable fire and hope it comes after we're gone. Barb and I talked about if we had an Airstream we could pack up all our stuff and drive away from a fire.

And, we made a deal on a 2008 Safari SE 25' FB. I know we're paying too much by buying a new one, but the hassles of searching for an older one just didn't fit for us right now. We pick it up Monday in Denver unless there's a blizzard in the mountains (I learned how to drive a stick shift in a snowstorm in 1963, but don't want to learn to tow a trailer over Vail Pass in a storm). I look forward to fixing the "(leaking roof, furnace problems, propane line leaks etc)" in the coming months.

Let us know how you're doing, Sandra. The pictures on CNN look pretty scarey. I've seen several fires in Colorado and Alaska over the years (from a distance) and they are amazing, transfixing and fearsome.

Gene
Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsbeddor
everytime i think i have come to some decision i read a new post and think...oh that is true as well. so
that happens to me so many times on here

be safe, we're not near any danger here in venice, but it is on three sides of us. i went for a short run this morning and could see the smoke all around, especially coming from malibu.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Having a goal

This thread has lots of good information - lots to think about. When I decided to purchase a trailer I had a goal in mind. I have always wanted an AS but I also wanted something that I could pull with my Jeep that I have about 90% restored. Honestly the newer ones were much too expensive for me..... and they were much heavier than the Jeep could pull.
I searched and stumbled upon a 1981 trailer that is essentially that last of the 70's era. This trailer will be good for us because it is lighter and narrower than it's bigger brothers. It is considered a small bodied trailer.
The trailer is currently undergoing rehab work to get it back in order for travel. This is a lot of work but very enjoyable. Yes I did underestimate the amount of time and some of the expense but I am having a fun time. My only regret is that I had hoped to go camping this fall. (Life got busy and had to back burner the project.) Rehab is new floors front and rear, curtains, cushions, toilet, sandblast and paint entire frame, axles, weatherstripping, refridge etc......
Buy newer if you want to camp sooner than later!

Click image for larger version

Name:	detail #1.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	47906
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #53
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sandra, Are you back online or have the fires chased you to a shelter? Last we heard from you the fires were all around.

Gene
Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
hi Gene,

i'm still here. we were packed but, never had to leave. soo lucky. today i also found out that my office building in Rancho Bernardo is still standing. it was the city that got hit the hardest so far. so tomorrow i will go in to work...yipee. i just feel so bad for all the residents all around me that lost there homes. it's a miracle that so many homes still are standing though...because you can see were the fires just blasted through. next time i have to get out of dodge for any reason at all...i hope it's in an Airstream! thanks again for checking in on me.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
oh Gene, one more thing...

i found a company who is out of Colorado, i think, that restore and remodel vintage trailers. they are called " Timeless Travel Trailers" have you heard of them? they look pretty impressive...and probebly very expensive as well. but, very nice custome work.

sandra
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Gettin out in an emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsbeddor
next time i have to get out of dodge for any reason at all...i hope it's in an Airstream!
We are glad to hear you are okay! We went through a big earthquake in the 80s and at the time had a motorhome. We were lucky... the earthquake was on a Monday and we had been out the weekend before. Hadn't unpacked yet. She was full of water, even had cold beer in the fridge! We just "moved in"... all services in town were out, no water, no sewer, no power... downed buildings.... after that experience we have always had some kind of trailer/camper generally with emergency supplies in it.... just in case! Don't we love our Airstreams!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Crispyboy, keep us updated on your restoration. it sounds like it's going to be just what you wanted but, a lot of work which you seem to be up for. good luck and thanks for the suggestion.

Sandra
Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
We are glad to hear you are okay! We went through a big earthquake in the 80s and at the time had a motorhome. We were lucky... the earthquake was on a Monday and we had been out the weekend before. Hadn't unpacked yet. She was full of water, even had cold beer in the fridge! We just "moved in"... all services in town were out, no water, no sewer, no power... downed buildings.... after that experience we have always had some kind of trailer/camper generally with emergency supplies in it.... just in case! Don't we love our Airstreams!

fantastic!! it is that kind of story that makes me just so much more sertain about getting a home on wheels. i will have mine stocked with champagne!! you never know...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
ok, back to my original topic Vintage vs. New. there is a 2000 safari 19' for sale for 20,000 in the classifieds. it seems to be in good shape. but, now if i could possibly get a gutted vintage trailer for between 1500 to 2500 and have it completely rebuilt as new by one of these companies that do this. could i then get a longer lighter trailer that is custome for 20,000...or around there somewhere? or am i dreaming?

Sandra
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
It is all about dreams.... :)

Probably dreaming... but not if you do the work yourself... If you have to pay for labor.... no way. You might, however, might be able to find a vintage trailer that has been restored or many upgrades for the same amount. If you look carefully, you just might find what you want! We looked several years for our Bambi, then hubby did a frame off restoration. Not counting his time we have more in it than we could get for it.... but we love it and it is worth it to us!