Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
V I N ???

I am very new to this Airstream thing, but I think I'm hooked. I have a 1975 or 1976 trailer. I am not sure the year. Where is the vin # on my trailer and can I tell year from this?
The rectangular plate to the right of door says; Land Yacht Overlander. With a number under it.
Is This the # I need???

Thanks, Scotty
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Check out this link to VIN numbers. The second page has the format for all of the 70's.
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...pre1980vin.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww11
I am very new to this Airstream thing, but I think I'm hooked. I have a 1975 or 1976 trailer. I am not sure the year. Where is the vin # on my trailer and can I tell year from this?
The rectangular plate to the right of door says; Land Yacht Overlander. With a number under it.
Is This the # I need???

Thanks, Scotty
Scotty,
There should be two plates on your trailer one is under the window to the right of the door and the other is a square aluminum plate mounted low on the left front corner you VIN# number should look something like this:I31-T5J-3595. Which in my case translates to a Interational, 31', twins(rear bath) 1975 model, built in Jackson Center.
Also the square plate will have the build date on it too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Is This the # I need???

Thanks, Scotty
If the number looks like O27-D5J-1328 that is the VIN.
In the above number, it is a Land Yacht (O) 27' long (27) double bed (D) built in Jackson Center, Ohio (J) and the last 4 digits are its sequential production number.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Found a number.

Guys, I have found a number on the rectangular plate. But am not sure about it. The number is - 127 T4 - S2134. Maybe the first number is I instead of 1. My trailer is at the deer lease so I can't run out and check it. Also what are my cabinets made of? The stuff is like a flexible wood or something. My cabinets roll up like a garage door. Most of them are broken or sticking and I wanted to replace or fix them. But I have no idea what to call the material.

Thanks, Scotty
Old 11-15-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Guys, I have found a number on the rectangular plate. But am not sure about it. The number is - 127 T4 - S2134. Maybe the first number is I instead of 1. My trailer is at the deer lease so I can't run out and check it. Also what are my cabinets made of? The stuff is like a flexible wood or something. My cabinets roll up like a garage door. Most of them are broken or sticking and I wanted to replace or fix them. But I have no idea what to call the material.

Thanks, Scotty
Okay Scotty!
You have an International Overlander, twins, 1974 made in Californina

The cabinets are most likely the plastic veneer covered plywood. The doors you are refering to are tambor or tambour depending on your spelling preference. Run a board search for either term and you will be rewarded with hours of pain, suffering and reading pleasure

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
vin number

Thanks for the info. Are the tambor doors easy to replace? And are they very expensive? I think all the guides are in good shape. It's just the doors that are screwed up. Another question, ( I bet you guys love it when a new guy joins and has to ask all these goofy questions). my fridge doesn't seem to have a good thermostat. It will get cold but freezes everything and the freezer gets full of ice. Can I replace the thermostat or will I need a new fridge?

Scotty
Old 11-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Are the tambor doors easy to replace? And are they very expensive? I think all the guides are in good shape. It's just the doors that are screwed up. Another question, ( I bet you guys love it when a new guy joins and has to ask all these goofy questions). my fridge doesn't seem to have a good thermostat. It will get cold but freezes everything and the freezer gets full of ice. Can I replace the thermostat or will I need a new fridge?

Scotty
Scotty,

The most recent episode of the DIY Network show Classic Rides replaced the tambor doors. Go to their website for info or search for tambor on this site. Winona Manufacturing has the tambor stock.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Tambour Repair

Hi Scotty,

Welcome to the forums! I have the same A/S as you ('74 Overlander), and recently completed my tambour overhaul project. I followed the guidelines at http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html. I couldn't be happier with the results! I repaired 9 of mine -- mostly the narrow and short ones, plus the large one under the sink, and the one to the right of the fridge. If you have all of the pieces, I would recommend repairing them yourself. I searched around quite a bit, and couldn't find any replacement material that matched the coloring of my '74. One online retailer claimed they had a match, but when they sent me a sample, it wasn't close enough. (This might not be that big of an issue if you're replacing all of yours). Anyway, I feel that I have a much higher quality product than originally, and really like having more useable storage! If you have any questions specific to our year/model, or if I could help in any other way, let me know.

Cheers!

Curt
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Hey Curt,

Thanks for the link. I wasn't planning on replacing all of the doors. But if I can't find a match for the material, that may be what I do. I can't believe there is a web site with that name. My 2 yr. old calls our AS a silver twinkie. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions on down the line. I can't start working on her till after deer season. But I'm getting everything together to do a complete polish job and wood floor replacement and cabinet job.
How long have you had your AS? And do you know anything about the fridge? Mine freezes everything. I've tried to turn it down but it doesn't work. I guess my thermostat or thermocoupler is out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scotty
Old 11-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Fortunately, I've never had any fridge problems! It sounds like you're on the right track, though. We purchased our Overlander in early 1997, shortly after my second daughter was born. Prior to that we had a 1967 17' Airstream Caravelle. We needed more room! For the first few trips we used the bath tub in our Overlander for a bassinette. We lined it with blankets, etc. and it served it's purpose well! Now as the kids are growing up, it seems like we could use some more room. I suppose nothing is never quite big enough! Have fun with your A/S!

Curt
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
A very long time ago I wrote this little Airstream VIN Translator. Try it out.

http://216.26.139.91/airstreamvin/airstreamvin.aspx
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote