Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Use of the term Land Yacht

I did a search and couldn't find an answere to this question. We have a 1967 tradewind, and on the label it says land yacht. From what I read here, that isn't a model name, and it isn't always on a label of other trailers.

So, I hope there is no such thing as a dumb question.....
minkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:39 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Names

Landyacht ,
I believe can be utilized in several context's

LY as in trailers is and indication of the ammenities or package, similar to automobiles being identified as LT or SLT etc....
I believe that the term "International" ,at one time, was an indication of an upgraded package. water filters, electric jack, food processor, and some others. I have never been able to really figure out when and when no to apply logic. I know you can read about it on this forum and I think there is some literature in the old owners manuals. I think my 1971 manual expalined the differences.

LY as in Motorhomes, is a fiberglass MH that began production around the late 80's if not 1990. It is identified by the sloped front end as in the unit I have. AS also makes several other Fiberglass MH's including, the Cutter, and Skydecker. they are flat nosed and kind of resemble a bus.

LY in the RV industry is a general term used to identify "luxury" campers. Kind of like a Yacht that does not go in the water. Some campgrounds use Landyacht in their names as a reference to campgrounds for RV's.

If you do a search on this forum there is much to learn on the issue of Landyacht and International as in packages.

I hope this clears things up a little bit.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Minkus!

During much of the 1960s, all Airstreams were referrred to with the Land Yacht designation - - it in essence denoted the base trim level in the line. International was the term added to indicate the addition of an upgrade package that could include such things as a larger water heater, water filter, upgraded refrigerator, upholstered walls/ceilings in bedroom area, dual-power interior lighting system (early in the 1960s), etc. The International designation was first used during the 1950s - - I actually found a brochure dating to the time period when the package was first introduced and I will have to check to see if the actual date is mentioned. The actual content of the International package varied somewhat from year to year as well as within the various Models (lengths) of coaches. As with so many things with the Vintage coaches there isn't one specific answer to the question - - and - - with each decade (or so it seems), Airstream revised the meanings of many of the terms that it used to refer to its coaches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
To FURTHER confuse the issue...

I had a '70 Safari "Special" Land Yacht (According to the literature that came with the trailer). It was built to be a lighter-weight version of the 'regular' Safari. The potable water tank was smaller, and there were some other things that were smaller and lighter than the 'regular' Safari. Although, the ID plate just said "Land Yacht" and (I think..."Safari", but it's been a looong time ago now).

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
when I was in the works of purchasing the Overlander, the owner would correct me when I would call it an Overlander, he would say " no it's a landyacht". He was right I was wrong. I guess that's why I have the trailer, and he lost it.
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks guys. I guess I am a little disappointed that Landyacht is just a nice way to say "basic".

I was glad to hear that "As with so many things with the Vintage coaches there isn't one specific answer to the question".

Bruce and Laura
Old 01-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

I found the Airstream sales literature that I mentioned in my earlier post to this thread that heralds the introduction of the International Land Yacht. The brochure doesn't have a clear date, but it mentions 1955 tow vehicles and depticts 1956 Cadillacs, Buicks and Chevrolets towing the Airstreams in the illustrations. Some of the features touted as being part of the "International Land Yacht series" were:

Quote:
Full bathroom including toilet with septic tank, plastic shower or tub (depending upon model), and wash basin.

Pressure water system with butane water heater.

Dual power system (12-volt DC/120 Volt AC) including electric water pump, power ventilator fans - - the potential new owner was advised that their 1955 or newer tow vehicle would require a heavy duty 12-volt generator to keep the trailer battery charged - - estimate was that 2-hours of towing would replace a night's use of DC power.

Butane refrigerator imported from the originator of gas refrigeration.

Imported water purifier capable of removing impurities and bacteria.
The beginning of the last paragraph in the brochure probably describes the conceptual background of the "series":

These are Wally Byam's personal Airstream put into production for you. You must see this completely new line of Wally Byam International Land Yachts. There's a model and size to fit your particular tastes and needs.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up 1974 Airstream Optionals

I note that the 1974 International Land Yacht Series begins with the 27' and goes through the 31'. I figure that means from 27' and shorter you have no choice except the "basic model".

"(S)ome features which are standard equipment in the International Land Yacht Series are available at extra cost for installation in the Land Yacht Series, such as: Combination sink cover and cutting board; Everpure water purifier; ceiling fan; Solardome; stove exhaust fan; 7 gallon gas bottles; entrance light; automatic gas regulator; Central Contol Panel; and bedroom wall comfort cover."

1974 Land Yacht Series: 21' Globe Trotter; 23' Safari; 25' Trade Wind.

1974 International Land Yacht Series: 27' Overlander; 29' Ambassador; and 31' Sovereign.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by tin can luv
when I was in the works of purchasing the Overlander, the owner would correct me when I would call it an Overlander, he would say " no it's a landyacht". He was right I was wrong. I guess that's why I have the trailer, and he lost it.
TCLuv actually I think you were correct. and the PO was just flattering himself.
Of course we can call our trailers what ever name we please.
But for the sake of context within all the many forums and discussion groups I for one wish ther was a universal way to describe the things. Course I know that human nature will never let that happen.

The name Land Yacht certainly sounds like the top of the line to most of us, but it was not. Go figure why.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that there were a few years when there were trailers without the LY designation. i.e. a lower level of furnishing than even the LY. I think that those had no Level designation at all. It was designated the "Standard" series (or level), but I don't know if it carried a badge that said "standard" or not.

Also it is my understanding that in the Vintage years all Internationals also carried the Land Yacht badge. In other words the upscaled Intl. was actually a "Land Yacht International"
As has been said these were never "models" but instead they were levels, or classes, or packages.

I would like to see a uniform method of identifying Airstreams in print. I suggest the following scheme.

(Year)(Model)(Class)(Length)(bed/bath or bath/bed placement)(Birthplace)
for example
74 Excella500 Intl 31 TwRb Ohio
68 Overlander LY 27 CbDbl Calif
74 Romany LY 31 CbTw Ohio
77 Ambassador Intl29 DblRb Calif
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

As newbies to all things airstream, each new answere brings new questions. And as a newbie, some way to keep it all straight sure would be good.

Jaco, your idea sounds great to me as a newbie, but no doubt, there will be some problem.

Were it in place, we would have a:

67 Tradewind LY 24 TbRb Calif

Thanks again all.

Bruce
Old 01-30-2004, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I have always looked at the "Land Yacht" designation as an upgrade with regards to the general market of SOBs...we're all winners!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
"LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel"

In reviewing some early '60s Airstream promotional material I have, I found a two page info sheet entitled "LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel." I'll post some of the information:

"A 'Land Yacht' is a personal highway cruiser manufactured by Airstream, and specifically designed and outfitted, down to the last luxurious detail, for unlimited road voyaging. A Land Yacht is no mere house trailer, or so-called mobile home, pressed into service for weekend or vacation use. Indeed a conventional trailer no more resembles a Land Yacht than a canal barge compares to travel-cruise luxury liner." Wally at his best

On the second page of this flyer, is the best designation I have found to explain the distinctions between the model lines:

"The Airstream Fleet
Every Airstream is built to the same rigid construction standards and must satisfy the travel specifications of the world's most adventurous roamers – the Wally Byam Caravanners. Chassis, running gear, body design and basic equipment have proved their ability to take the punishment of Etheopian roads as successfully as they cruise the turnpikes of Pennsylvania. The same essential comforts are found in any Airstream—airfoam beds, efficient space heater, well-planned galley and attractive interior decoration.

The STANDARD Airstream features the famous road-worthy qualities of all Airstreams. It has the best in convenient equipment and appliances such as an ice-electric refrigerator, electric hot water heater, 110V wiring, copper water lines with easily accessible input connections and regulation drainage outlet.

The LAND YACHT Series If you plan to spend time away from the beaten path where commercial facilites are not available, you'll probably want one of the Land Yacht series. All Airstream Land Yachts, from 18 foot to 30 foot models, are completely outfitted for extended stays away from the standard light, water and sewer connections. The equipment that makes this self-containment possible includes a pressure water system with tank and air compressor, 12V electrical system (in addition to the regular 110V wiring) with battery and 12V light fixtures—this also operates the air compressor that keeps water running to all faucets...a gas refrigerator and gas hot water heater...a marine-type toilet equipped with hand spray flushing device to conserve water and the Airstream sanitator, to provide toilet convenience away from a sewer hookup.

The INTERNATIONAL LAND YACHT Series is the last word in travel luxury, combining every Airstream engineering achievement with elegant interior furnishings. Beautiful materials are used for the upholstery; draperies are tastefully lined; matching bed spreads are included as well as wall pads to give the appearance of a couch. All fabrics are chosen for carefree maintenance and resistance to wear under the most exacting conditions. Cabinets are exquisitely finished. Self containment is developed to the highest degree in these models. Any new equipment available here or abroad is tested for possible inclusion to make the International the most independant and luxurious. The basic additional features include a water purifier, 12V electrical system throughout including a 12V ceiling ventilator fan and 12V outlet for a shaver and other appliances. Two oversize gas tanks with automatic switch-over regulator, space heater, police-type radio antenna and deluxe hub caps. The features of the International Land Yacht models are not "frozen," they are subject to constant improvement to give their owners the very best.

There is an Airstream model to suit your dreams. Whichever one you choose will take you on the happiest travel-adventures anywhere in the world.

*If it isn't an AIRSTREAM, it isn't a LAND YACHT"

This use of the term Land Yacht is probably not the first use of it in Airstream literature or promotional materials. Wally sure had a way with words. This is, no doubt, a reflection on his days as an advertising exec.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Now that does in deed help, and you sure are right about Wally's way with words.

flyfshr, so does that mean that in any given year you could get a "standard" or a "land yacht"? or was that based on production years? Does your tradewind have the word Land Yacht on the lable?

Bruce
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
"Land Yacht" was used in the 1930's through 1950's by many trailer manufacturers to describe their trialers, as it connotes the exclusivity and luxury of a yacht on wheels.

With respect to Airstreams, as Ken and Kevin explain and Brad excerpts above, the Land Yacht designation alone by itself was used in the late 1950's (roughly 1957/58 to 1960/61) to describe the intermediate trim level Airstream that was self-contained but not as luxurously equipped as the further upgraded International. A top of the line Airstream had a cumulative name or badging, i.e., a Land Yacht International.

By the very early 1960s, all Airstreams were built self-contained, so the old Standard trim level name (which denoted a non-self contained park dependent trailer having 120 volt electric appliances, lighting, etc.) was dropped, making Land Yacht the new improved base model. Land Yacht seems to have been used by Airstream throughout the 1960s to identify the self-contained base model, with International added after it to describe a package of extra features which varied in detail from year to year. I'm not yet familiar enough with 1970s Airstreams to describe their trim level nomenclature.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Fred,
When it comes to the 70's the best I can tell is that all of them were Airstream Landyachts, then they had the various models and upgrades, ie;Bambi, Sovereign, Amabassador, Overlander, Caravaaner, then the upgrades being International, and Excella. With the Romany thrown in to confuse the issue. I am not positive on this, but it seems to follow thru on the units I have looked at.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:32 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Bruce -
My Trade Wind, if I were to use the model descriptions mentioned above, would have been the standard model. No collection tanks, no 12V system, no compressor, 110V (hot) water heater and no frills. That is, of course, how it was when manufactured. Not the way it is now. I sure would like to find one of those International water purifiers though. Would look right nice coming out of the counter by the sink

FF
Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wally's Humorous Side?

I've seen a few of the late '50 and early '60 coaches with a decking hardware cleat attached down low on the curbside in front of the entrance door. I was told that when at a rally, owners would tie up their Land Yacht 'anchor' and attach it to this cleat, just for grins.

Fred, any truth to this whimsical notion?

FF
Attached Images

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Cool If you think you are confussed?

Jaco;

Try figuring out the Transition years - such as the one we just bought. She really does have an identity crisis.

Our seriel number is a combination of the 68 & 69 sequencial methodology.

In 68 there seems to have been and International Model and an Overlander Model - So what is the difference between them????

My Serial# says she is an [O- Overlander], ['21] from the '68 sequence then she switches to the '69 Sequence with the [D] that dilineates the layout - [Rear bath, Double Bed] then the year[9-1969] and [J- for Jackson Ohio]. with the last 3 digits using the '69 sequence of being 3 digits for 60's opposed to 4 digits for 70's.

And as I am still going by pictures only (13-days to lift off) we don't know what everything is inside yet or if she has any of the upgradesmentioned in the above posts. But if that really is the original Material in her you can bet that they were and still are the cream of the cream.

And interstinly....the Door Plate States: 'GlobeTrotter Land Yacht'.

I have not seen any other A/S with the same layout yet? In fact the only other one I have seen is the one on VAC but has no interior pictures - but did show the specs for the outside - from a manual I believe.

Ours apparently has a lot of the original manuals so it should be very interesting reading.

As far as semantics go I'm with "Insideout - Shari"

I can't wait to sign up with WBCCI and receive a monthly magazine! - Is it good?
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings GT6921!

Quote:
can't wait to sign up with WBCCI and receive a monthly magazine! - Is it good?
There is a widely varying opinion of the Blue Beret, the monthly newsletter/magazine of Wally Byam Caravan Club International. Personally, I look forward to each issue as I like to plan my travels as far ahead as possible, and I also find the articles quite interesting - - not all of them pertain to my situation, but there is always something of interest.

You might also find The Vintage Advantage, the quarterly newsletter/magazine published by the The Vintage Airstream Club, to be an interesting publication. I also look forward to receiving this publication each quater. The articles are generally written by other Vintage Airstream/Argosy owners, and the topics are as varied as the Vintage coaches.

I have had wonderful experiences with the WBCCI and am a member of the Wisconsin Unit. I feel sure that you will enjoy the Airstreaming experience even more with the WBCCI. The VAC will help you to more fully enjoy the Vintage Airstreaming experience.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
GT6921

Quote:
My Serial# says she is an [O- Overlander], ['21] from the '68 sequence then she switches to the '69 Sequence with the [D] that dilineates the layout - [Rear bath, Double Bed] then the year[9-1969] and [J- for Jackson Ohio]. with the last 3 digits using the '69 sequence of being 3 digits for 60's opposed to 4 digits for 70's.
I think you may be confused by some "misinformation" floating around. The first "O" in your serial number is not a "Oh" at all it is a "0 or zero". It's just a placeholder...not "Overlander" designation. The 21' & GlobeTrotter are in agreement and from the pics (on your other thread) I would agree. The Land Yacht was on most of the models during your era and the "International" means it has some upgrades. Overlander is the model name for the 27' double axle trailer in '69, like GlobeTrotter is with the 21' model.

Hopefully this helps ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote