Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Unsealed interior of newer trailers.

I have a 2012 Serenity FB 27'. I discovered a new short cut Airstream is taking to cut cost to them not to us.
The front and rear overhead end caps are not enclosed to prevent water vapor egress. To verify this I removed one of interior side cover panels that is made of plywood. To my surprise there is exposed fiber glass insulation. There was light coming in from a gap extending the length of the window that would allow fibers to drift into the open space of the coach. In the bed area, drifting down on us as we sleep. As a nurse, respiratory therapist this type of fiber inhaled can cause chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

In my 1975 Sovereign the end caps were sealed making for tight enclosure reducing water vapor egress into the walls and protecting us from fiber glass fragments.

I brought this to the attention for Airstream representatives at the Salem International Convention to no avail.

This is a problem that my require a group law suit brought by the owners to have the end caps enclosed with aluminum as were the older units to mitigate this hazard.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Hmm...interesting...following to see what others might say.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Yep, our 2018 Cloud queen had a flimsy ply panel fall out in the upper side closet and it surely showed the un-completed end cap about Q ft wide by 1 - 1/2 ft long.

Also on our 2016 Classic Twin, when adding extra lights for the closets, I used extra 12 volt lines I found inside the speaker holes, there was also un-completed end caps.

Just saying, where it can’t be seen, you won’t see it.