Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Twin Beds Vs. Queen Bed: Calling Those With Experience With Both...

Ok so before you blow up on me based on the title, I have searched and searched and compiled all the info I have come across on the topic, but still feel I am at a crossroads.

I personally have chosen the 27' International Serenity for my first Airstream, but can't decide which bed option. I like the 27' over the 25' for the additional countertype space, and closet space, not to mention the sideways queen in the 25' is a horrible idea and waste of space IMO, and am not a fan of the 28, or 30' layouts. So here are the differences I have complied:

Queen Bed Positive Attributes: (only talking the fore/aft facing bed 27', 28', 30', not the side to side queen in the 25')
- Mostly all internal storage under the bed for those who prefer that vs. external
- Easier to snuggle with a loved one/nookie, and more like living at home
- Only one set of bedding to purchase/maintain
- If you have kids and enjoy it, morning/nighttime spent in the bed as a family is more of an option
- Dual nightstands, one for each individual
- Bed is centralized so you are not against a cold wall
- More realistic to upgrade the mattress if you want, to say sleep number, or temperpedic

Twin Bed Positive Attributes:
- Slightly longer beds for taller individuals
- More internal hanging storage (at the foot of the beds)
- Easier to access overhead storage
- More usable area to get dressed between the beds
- More external storage for those who prefer that
- Underbed storage could be argued to be easier to access
- Single large central night stand with drawer
- Combined bed width is wider than a queen
- Area can act as more than just a bedroom, easier to setup a table/hang out
- Dual beds work out better if you are using it for hunting or say with a buddy/not someone you normally sleep with

To me and my plans for use the most significant attributes of the queen option are:
- Easier to snuggle with a loved one/nookie, and more like living at home
- Hanging out with the kids when it makes sense

As for the Twin bed option:
- More area to get dressed in
- Area can be used as more than just a bedroom.

According to Colonial Airstream they sell a 50/50 split between queens, and twins, so there is no standout reason to buy one vs. the other based on sales volumes.
I have seen several posts where people convert from the queen bed option to the twin, but never from the twin to the queen.....
But in the end I am not seeing anything that is strongly swaying me one way or the other, and hope maybe others incite can help...

So that was a lot of background information to get to my question...

Those who have owned both the queen bed option and the twin bed option, (only 27' or above please, 25' sideways queen is just dumb IMO), which setup do you prefer and why?
I am just looking for opinions from those with actual experience with both.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
We love our twins. Wider sleeping space. We have had an RV queen bed called a walk around. (Read scoot around) Also no bumping heads on overhead cabinetry. With twins the walk space is combined making it nice and wide. Makes for easy dressing. Just seemingly more move around space.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
We have a 2016 25ft RTB model AS. We've never looked back as it works fo us. The center front to rear "walk way" makes a big difference when you're living in a small space. Getting dressed is much easier, sitting on the side of the twin taking a phone call in private & a center night stand to write on and it makes for a convienient area to fold, sort & store your laundry. As far as comfort the twins take a little getting use to but after a few nights the body adjusts.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Twin Beds would have been a dealbreaker in the relationship and, thus, eliminated the Airstream...(at least in my situation) :-)
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fenton , Michigan
Twin Beds - Yes

We went with the twin bed option on our 27FB and could not be happier.
It feels so much bigger in the bedroom and we like the extra space for dressing etc.

Sure...twin beds are not so romantic, but not a deal breaker for us.

My only advice is to be sure to level your AS (side to side) or you will feel like you are rolling off the beds one way or the other.

Best of luck to you.

Let me add....Our previous RV had a walkaround queen. It was fine, but I never liked the limited side space.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'm channeling my mother and father (both deceased). They were longtime Airstream owners (nearly 50 years) who owned a wide variety of models over the years including full/queen bed arrangements as well as twin bed floor plans. In their experience twin beds were the better layout for all the reasons you mentioned.

Cuddling/snuggling in a twin bed is not as difficult as some might indicate although the queen is likely better suited.

Hanging out with youngsters on twin beds will be more difficult but I'm sure you can come up with good alternatives. Perhaps even a piece of plywood that bridges the center aisle between the beds, add a piece of foam to fill the gap and you'll have one monster bed for the times that hanging out with youngsters is on the agenda.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Buy whichever one makes you happiest. Not the one that is sold more. You seem to have an understanding of the pros and cons. So pick the one you like.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Buy whichever one makes you happiest. Not the one that is sold more. You seem to have an understanding of the pros and cons. So pick the one you like.
This. I've had both and really can't offer any better advice.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Do you want to sleep without your significant other next to you? I don't so we'd never get the twin bed but that's us. All the other factors don't matter to us. Your mileage may differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Thanks so much for all the replies.

Sounds like twins are really popular, and those who have them swear by them. Also sounds like picking the most important pro, (whichever makes you happiest) might just be key...

I am thinking the added space for living/dressing is probably the biggest plus for me, and causing me to lean the smallest amount to the twins.

Any more advice is welcome, and thanks again!!

Josh
jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
Twin Beds would have been a dealbreaker in the relationship and, thus, eliminated the Airstream...(at least in my situation) :-)
Ditto
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
Do you want to sleep without your significant other next to you? I don't so we'd never get the twin bed but that's us. All the other factors don't matter to us. Your mileage may differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Another ditto!
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
We love our twins for sleeping and not disturbing each other. The gaucho can be used for recreation...lol.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #14
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I have an old 75 model and the bed layout (twins) was what it was when I bought it. But I spend a lot more nights in it with hunting and fishing buddies than I do with my lovely wife. So the twin beds turned out to be by far the better option. The few nights a year that she is there we just make do. Buy her a nice down comforter to keep her warm and don't let your stinky fishing pals use it.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
Not without him.

Hi, Bobby an I have Queen bed, We love it. Have been together for 24 years. No way would I want to sleep without him. He has the body heat that keeps me warm on clod nights. He snoozes, I just add cotton balls to the ears and sleep really well. The dressing room has never been a problem, We just shut the door a use the hall way between the bed and bath. I love the room to walk around the bed and the night stands are great for each of our cell phones. With out him I would be lost. I wish you best of luck. Oh yea the kids all have grown up now, But back then you would find them in the Queen bed with us. Miss those days.
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Here goes: In your evaluation you use the words "I, me and my" about 11 times. Perhaps your partner should weigh in as to whether he or she wants to sleep with you or without you. That would help me decide.
DougHart352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We are converting our 2008 Classic 25fb from queen to twin for all the reasons given above. Will get the wife extra blankets or a heating blanket if needed.

Kelvin
Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
This is my assessment based on owning 2 trailers with island queen beds:
I wish I had twin beds!
With twin beds you get more storage compartments inside and outside that are easier to access.
It is easier to walk between the 2 beds than to side-step around the island queen.
It is easier to stand between the 2 beds to get dressed.
It is easier to make up the 2 beds.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Twin Vs Queen

We have the 25 FC rear bedroom twin and are very pleased with it. We both sleep better in this arrangement since she tosses and turns and I sleep with a Cpap. You also don't disturb your partner getting up at night. It seems there is more usable room with the twin bed layout.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
We vote twins

We sleep in a queen at home, but the twins work better for us in the AS for all of the reasons mentioned above. We're both slim so snuggling, etc. in one twin isn't a problem even though we're old retired people. We're still close enough to easily hold hands when in our respective beds. The twins make for a much better and easier nights sleep in close quarters with that central aisle, especially for those of us who are up and down to the bathroom all night.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote