Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums

Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
gandttimes & my sweetie & I are on the same wavelength: Ditto & Another ditto.

Get whatever you & your sweetie think best. There are no "right answers." Whatever else doesn't matter --- it's your AS to do whatever the two of you want.

Alta & Richard, Seattle area --- WBCCI 8877
"Aurum": 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel
"Argentum": 2016 AS FC 27 FB
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"Megan" (aka "LittleDog"): F Shih Tzu, 15 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #30
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
We replaced our short queen with a standard queen pillow-top. Yorkies sleep 1 each on the nightstands in their beds, more room than I have at home in a king with them sharing!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We loved the twins in our 2011 FC 25' so much that we paid the up-charge to have twins installed in our new 2015 EB 27'. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
One other consideration. With twins, if you have different preferences for mattresses, you can easily do that.

We have a 25FB twin and like the twin arrangement. I'm still using the original mattress supplied by AS; my wife replaced hers.

I have not had an AS or other trailer with a N/S queen. I have had a trailer with a sideways bed, and of course that is problematic.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #33

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have had both and the Queen was a real pain to make up. Plus in my Classic I have much more storage and plenty of room to dress. Also seems to make the trailer look longer and bigger. I would never to the Queen again.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #34
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
We have the 27 twin. The previous owner modified the size of each bed by making a platform underneath increasing the width of the bed to a regular sized twin and added memory foam mattresses. Works great and there is plenty of room for company. Along with the extra storage aisle And what not!
ckandmonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
We have the best of both worlds. We wanted a queen when looking for a used 25. We found a great twin bed one and bought it. I am in the yacht business and many of our bedrooms are set up to be either twins or double by sliding together. That is how we set up our AS. Short trips leave twins, Long trips put them together.
I posted several months ago exactly how to do it, not too difficult and we love it. If anyone wants details and pictures, email me. Mrafferty@camperandnicholsons.com
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
Surf City , New Jersey
Depends on the age of the wife!
weber.roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
El Prado , New Mexico
We haven't had both, so this may disqualify my reply, but our 2004 Safari has twin beds, and we are very happy with the arrangement. I can be a "thrasher" some nights, and, at 75, tend to get up a couple of times a night, so the twins work best for us. Making them can be a pain, and is more difficult, I'm guessing, than the queen, but fitted sheets (not necessarily the custom made ones specifically for AS twins) help in this regard.
Allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Our Airstream is was built as twins, but the previous owners had put wood across to make a queen-sized bed. We discussed used all the pros and cons you write about. Even though it means one of us has to climb over the other to get in and out, currently me, the cuddle factor was highly important as we live in our Airstream half the year. There is plenty of hallway in front of the bathroom to get dressed/undressed. We even opted for only full size because we gained about 5 more inches for the dressers we built on either side of the Airstream. The head of our bed is on the drivers side, Chris built a nice headboard and it lifts to provide more storage. There is storage in the cabinets that were already built, we use the back two on both sides for things we don't pull out often, and the front two on either side for things we pull out all the time. We slide two large clear plastic bins right down the center, and the last third of that space is Turbo's bed. He needs to be as close to us as possible without being in our bed. The cats however are in the bed off and on all night.

I totally get it about the kids btw. Not only did we co-sleep with them as infants, but we bring them all into bed for night time story reading, all four of them. And weekends always had them all climbing into bed with us. If they were sick them came into bed with us. I bought a king size bed for that reason. Here's a crazy thing, when my son's teacher asked the district psychologist to evaluate my son for AND, he found out during his interrogation, yeah the man was that bad, that my kids climbed into bed with us for stories. He said that was disgusting and sick and if we did not cease and disist he would report us to CPS. I looked at him and asked him why, he said nothing. I told him he had a problem and that my children were fine and to go right ahead and report me, they are going to laugh you right off the phone. Nothing ever happened. I raised some happy, responsible, respectful adults. So God Bless You for raising your kids your way. They know they are loved and they feel very secure I am certain.
Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 22 a day is 22 TOO MANY. (this number recently revised to 23 a day )
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member
Washington , Illinois
Well thanks everyone for the continued replies, more and more good info.

My wife and I have discussed this extensively, and she is not a snuggler, however is always cold, so he had one check for each. She liked the access to storage both inside and out with the twins, but also liked the idea of the kiddos in bed here and there.

We are currently planning on a new trailer which means we can get whichever we want, but who knows a nice used one might come up and its layout could be our deciding factor.

Thanks again!

jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We solved the cold problem with 2 heated mattress pads. Turn them on about a half hour before bedtime. Then when needed. Warm and toasty they are.
Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Heat pumps down to the 30's, propane furnace, heated mattress cover AND electric blanket-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #42
1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Have owned a 29 ft Twin and now have a 34 ft Queen. Agree with all your points. Look at what is most important and what will impact your enjoyment of the trailer. Functionality of small spaces can make or break your enjoyment of the whole experience. Does your wife/partner have the same priorities? If not, then spending longer periods of time in the trailer will definitely give you your answer. We are fine with either but I think that is because the 34 ft wide body has reasonable space on either side of the Queen as well as more storage. Good luck with your decision.

Carolyn & Ross
Ldytraveller is offline   Reply With Quote