Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda, Florida , Florida
Twin vs queen

I don't know all Airstream models but the FC 26u twins are much larger than the queen. I'm tall so the extra length matters to me. Besides, no one likes being climbed over at 3am to use the potty.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Oh, give me some room!

We have a king Beauty Rest (coil & foam) w flexible base. A great pleasure!! Our PanAm came with a horribly cheap mattress from the factory - However, I understand they've improved the bedding. We went to a custom made queen (foam) mattress to save our backs. Being older, I'd now opt for a center queen bed in any AS that offers that layout. A twin option is ideal in that the single beds are individually WIDER (combined) than the single queen bed. Others can probably vouch that side mounted beds offers cramped space or you are climbing over each other to get out of the bed. Ouch!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Had both. Twins just make the trailer feel bigger. Extra usable space. They do not limit recreation, but may require creativity. We have always had a king at home so after our good nights, we sleep a foot or so apart. If you were a spooner, it wouldn't be ideal. Otherwise twins.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
It really is 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other! The twins make the bedroom area more usable overall but I felt like I had to "rotate on a spit" to change position in bed. I put in a Queen on a platform above the twins and that works well, I feel a queen is the minimum size bed for a civilized person/s especially if it oriented so you don't have to climb over someone to go pee. If buying a new trailer I'd say go for a fore/aft queen size. If you had to choose between two used trailers, one with twins and one with a queen, I would buy the one that is in the best overall condition or that seemed to be the best value for the price. Living with either option will work OK! For myself the queen size is slightly preferred. What does your wife want?
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Laguna Niguel , California
We have a 2012 Eddie Bauer 27ft with a QUEEN bed. Much easier to make in the morning . We looked at the 25 ft EB but the bed issue didn't work for us . Liked the inside storage access with the queen bed also.
TSOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
We went with the queen bed in our 2016 FC27 mostly because the trailer was on the lot and the price was really really good.

I was fully expecting to change out the mattress based on experience with my last camper (non-AS), but it turned out to not only be comfortable, it's also some kind of memory foam (not sure what brand) - I don't feel the bed move when husband gets up, turns over, etc. Nice surprise!

I also think I wouldn't like being up against the wall in the twin - last trailer had the top 1/3 of the so-called "walk-around" queen stuffed against the wardrobe side wall on my side, and I always seemed to turn over and bang into it.

As others said, you & spouse are the ones going to use it, choose based on what you both like best.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
The twin measurement of 78" x 34" is very misleading because of the curvature of the trailer. My head and shoulders were always running into the wall or the cabinet in between. We converted ours to a residential king size bed.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Morganton , Georgia
We love our twin beds. I wake an hour or more before my hubby and like that I can get up without waking him. The center aisle feels nice and roomy even with our golden retriever afoot.
Lynntalsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
gandttimes & my sweetie & I are on the same wavelength: Ditto & Another ditto.

Get whatever you & your sweetie think best. There are no "right answers." Whatever else doesn't matter --- it's your AS to do whatever the two of you want.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #30

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
We replaced our short queen with a standard queen pillow-top. Yorkies sleep 1 each on the nightstands in their beds, more room than I have at home in a king with them sharing!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We loved the twins in our 2011 FC 25' so much that we paid the up-charge to have twins installed in our new 2015 EB 27'. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
One other consideration. With twins, if you have different preferences for mattresses, you can easily do that.

We have a 25FB twin and like the twin arrangement. I'm still using the original mattress supplied by AS; my wife replaced hers.

I have not had an AS or other trailer with a N/S queen. I have had a trailer with a sideways bed, and of course that is problematic.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #33
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have had both and the Queen was a real pain to make up. Plus in my Classic I have much more storage and plenty of room to dress. Also seems to make the trailer look longer and bigger. I would never to the Queen again.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #34

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
We have the 27 twin. The previous owner modified the size of each bed by making a platform underneath increasing the width of the bed to a regular sized twin and added memory foam mattresses. Works great and there is plenty of room for company. Along with the extra storage aisle And what not!
ckandmonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
We have the best of both worlds. We wanted a queen when looking for a used 25. We found a great twin bed one and bought it. I am in the yacht business and many of our bedrooms are set up to be either twins or double by sliding together. That is how we set up our AS. Short trips leave twins, Long trips put them together.
I posted several months ago exactly how to do it, not too difficult and we love it. If anyone wants details and pictures, email me. Mrafferty@camperandnicholsons.com
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
Depends on the age of the wife!
weber.roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
We haven't had both, so this may disqualify my reply, but our 2004 Safari has twin beds, and we are very happy with the arrangement. I can be a "thrasher" some nights, and, at 75, tend to get up a couple of times a night, so the twins work best for us. Making them can be a pain, and is more difficult, I'm guessing, than the queen, but fitted sheets (not necessarily the custom made ones specifically for AS twins) help in this regard.
Allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Our Airstream is was built as twins, but the previous owners had put wood across to make a queen-sized bed. We discussed used all the pros and cons you write about. Even though it means one of us has to climb over the other to get in and out, currently me, the cuddle factor was highly important as we live in our Airstream half the year. There is plenty of hallway in front of the bathroom to get dressed/undressed. We even opted for only full size because we gained about 5 more inches for the dressers we built on either side of the Airstream. The head of our bed is on the drivers side, Chris built a nice headboard and it lifts to provide more storage. There is storage in the cabinets that were already built, we use the back two on both sides for things we don't pull out often, and the front two on either side for things we pull out all the time. We slide two large clear plastic bins right down the center, and the last third of that space is Turbo's bed. He needs to be as close to us as possible without being in our bed. The cats however are in the bed off and on all night.

I totally get it about the kids btw. Not only did we co-sleep with them as infants, but we bring them all into bed for night time story reading, all four of them. And weekends always had them all climbing into bed with us. If they were sick them came into bed with us. I bought a king size bed for that reason. Here's a crazy thing, when my son's teacher asked the district psychologist to evaluate my son for AND, he found out during his interrogation, yeah the man was that bad, that my kids climbed into bed with us for stories. He said that was disgusting and sick and if we did not cease and disist he would report us to CPS. I looked at him and asked him why, he said nothing. I told him he had a problem and that my children were fine and to go right ahead and report me, they are going to laugh you right off the phone. Nothing ever happened. I raised some happy, responsible, respectful adults. So God Bless You for raising your kids your way. They know they are loved and they feel very secure I am certain.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Well thanks everyone for the continued replies, more and more good info.

My wife and I have discussed this extensively, and she is not a snuggler, however is always cold, so he had one check for each. She liked the access to storage both inside and out with the twins, but also liked the idea of the kiddos in bed here and there.

We are currently planning on a new trailer which means we can get whichever we want, but who knows a nice used one might come up and its layout could be our deciding factor.

Thanks again!

Josh
jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
We solved the cold problem with 2 heated mattress pads. Turn them on about a half hour before bedtime. Then when needed. Warm and toasty they are.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote