Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis2616 View Post
I was a Geo Bachelor in Avondale for three years and stayed in a motorhome on base. It cooled during the summer with one AC unit just fine. I had to move from the Naval Station in New Orleans and the Air Station at Belle Chase every thirty days. Belle Chase has big shade trees so I preferred to stay there. I got my Airstream a few years ago and it cools just fine in Southeast Texas heat.
Belle Chase apparently has a lot of new housing and a new long term rv park. Have you been lately? And what size trailer did you have as a geo bachelor?

Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I'm staying at Miramar Beach by Destin Florida right now in my 25 foot flying cloud. It's definitely been hot and humid, however my Dometic 15,000 BTU AC has been working great! You shouldn't have a problem.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't know how the a/c noise levels are in the trailers, but it's an issue that bothers many of us in the Airstream Interstate motorhomes. Our Dometic a/c cools our Interstate fairly well even in 90+ degree weather and sky high humidity, especially if we use Reflectix on the windows, but there's no way I could listen to that racket 24/7. This came up recently on a Sprinter and B Van thread and so I measured our noise levels with a semi-professional sound meter. Even with the a/c on the lowest setting, it was between 60 and 70 decibels depending on where one was sitting / standing / laying. That's loud enough to have to raise your voice over. One Interstate owner amused the rest of us recently by describing how he has to lock himself in his broiling hot wet bath just to be able to talk on his cell phone when his a/c is running. His wife re-named their wet bath as "the phone booth".

Anyway, I don't know what the various trailers would measure, decibel-wise, but if someone is concerned about the potential for noise fatigue, this might be something to investigate before making a hot-weather full-timing decision.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
I recently purchased a 34' Excella to renovate. I'm living in it full time to do the work. My rig has two A/Cs, but so far, I've been fine with just one running during the day. From 10a til around 7. It's original with no roof coating yet. I'm in full sun with just the front awning. I plan to add the roofcoat this month & tint the windows to cut down on Energy cost. I'm in Tampa, Fl.Enjoy!
Tampatomgirl
Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
I recently purchased a 34' Excella to renovate. I'm living in it full time to do the work. My rig has two A/Cs, but so far, I've been fine with just one running during the day. From 10a til around 7. It's original with no roof coating yet. I'm in full sun with just the front awning. I plan to add the roofcoat this month & tint the windows to cut down on Energy cost. I'm in Tampa, Fl.Enjoy!
Tampatomgirl
Keep me posted on those changes. I'd enjoy hearing about the changes and how it worked before vs after!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
We have a 2010 28ft Flying Cloud in Slidell, La. It is definitely NOT a comfortable trailer between May1 and Oct 15. 15000 BTU will keep inside about 10 degrees below outside temp in sun but humidity soars...in shade about 15 degrees cooler but humidity still high....most of the AC capacity is consumed by latent cooling, not sensible.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I weigh your experience against my experience and the experience of other posters, I think that maybe your cooler is not cooling as well as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
We have a 2010 28ft Flying Cloud in Slidell, La. It is definitely NOT a comfortable trailer between May1 and Oct 15. 15000 BTU will keep inside about 10 degrees below outside temp in sun but humidity soars...in shade about 15 degrees cooler but humidity still high....most of the AC capacity is consumed by latent cooling, not sensible.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
It gets to 115 degrees here in Tucson and I live in my Airstream with no shade and no awnings. Whew! I think the window awning package would help your situation a lot, and with the AC running, you should be able to keep it reasonably comfortable if you stay with a short Airstream. At the dealership I work at, we usually have a 25' with one AC and a 30' with two ACs plugged in and running. There is a noticeable difference between the two. A shortie would be comfortable with one AC though. Good luck!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
nederland , Texas
I had a 30ft MH which I sold when I retired from the Navy. I stayed mostly at Belle Chase until the retirees complained about the Geo's taking all of the good shade spots. After that I had to move every 30 days. I purchased the 31ft Sovereign a few years later after retirement and after getting a real 8-5 job. Only those of us who lived and stored all of our material possessions in a 6ft rack onboard a grey lady will be able to understand why you say a 20ft airstream is large enough for you. That actually brought forth a little chuckle from me because I lived that life myself. Moving into a 20ft trailer is like moving up to a studio apartment. There are a lot of good used Airstreams out there so you might want to consider what your needs are going to be in two years to see if a larger trailer is warranted. Good luck with the Geo experience in Louisiana.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
White Roof = Big Difference

I also painted the roof gloss white on my 34 footer and with a single 15,000btu a/c unit it stays fine even in 102 degree Orlando July temperatures. Painting the roof gloss white easily dropped the internal temp 10 degrees F. I highly recommend it.

I also have awnings all the way around and put them all out.

One caveat; My trailer is an Avion 34 footer (actually 36' long), but it's very similar to an Airstream (I had a 31' Excella previously) and think you'd be fine.

Hope to see you on the road,
Old 06-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
+ 1 on the roof paint, it makes a HUGE difference.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
I agree with m.hony.
I'm camping this weekend in Florida and that will be it until the fall. my ac stays on high most of the time this time of year. even at night it stays around 80 outside. not much fun being outside after noon with the heat and humidity. the ac seems to handle it if you keep the shades pulled but what fun is that.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #27
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Typically you can expect an 18-22 degree differential.
YMMV
Old 06-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
I bought a new 2010 23FCFB that now has over 200,000 miles on it.
From the time my trailer was new the AC would not keep up in 95+ temperatures. In Laughlin, NV it did not shut off all night and couldn't get the temperature below 80.It was 115 during the day. Not sure how hot at midnight.
The AC irritates the hell out of me when I'm trying to sleep. I'd be interested on input from someone who has the new vented AC. I'm seriously considering a new 25'. Can anyone tell me how it cools?

2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote