Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Theft prevention

What is the best way to prevent theft?
We leave our Caravel in our driveway where someone could pull up and drag it away. I have a tongue ball lock but I hardly see this as the answer
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Install a big concrete 'deadman' Into the driveway with a recessed ring bolt. Lock the trailer safety chains to it with a high security padlock, put it under video surveillance 24/7.

Or just move to a better neighborhood?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Make it difficult

If someone wants something bad enough, they're going to get it. The best that you can do is to make yours less appealing. The more you can do to discourage someone, the more likely they will move on down the road for an easier target.

I keep mine in a storage lot. It has a lot of cameras, big steel gate, enclosed fence and an on-site resident. I wish I could have it at the house but they say they haven't had any problems. I've got my fingers crossed and I knock on wood; so far so good.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
One small thing you can do is remove the fuse from the hitch jack when the trailer is in storage. This will at least make your trailer harder for the thief(s) to hitch-up to their vehicle.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have mine parked inside a pole barn, behind locked doors. I don't consider that theft protection, tho. I consider it damage protection.

I live in an oak woods, and branches fall out here and there. Occasionally we have damaging hail. The sunlight that does get thru is not good for the tires or the curtains.

Theft doesn't worry me much. If it were to be stolen, it's insured, but there's not much of that going on around here.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Place a laminated card by the hitch that explains that the trailer is Lojacked. Wheels on one side of the trailer only held on with one lug nut. (If you don't move the trailer one lug is enought to keep the wheel on).... You're on candid camera on the fake (or real) GoPro camera mounted on the roof of your home.

Could also buy an ATV, Dingo or tractor with a hitch that you could turn the trailer around to face the garage, driving the tractor through the door, unhitch the trailer and close the door. The tractor will be small enough to manuver around the garage and through another door.

Chain a very hungry big pooch to the hitch.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
This is what I plan to use when I finally store the trailer:

Amazon.com: Clearwater Industries Megahitch Coupler Vault for 2 5/16 inch Couplers (Silver Color): Automotive
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
We leave our Caravel in our driveway where someone could pull up and drag it away. I have a tongue ball lock but I hardly see this as the answer
If your living in that bad of an area maybe you should think about moving.
Or remove the wheels.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #9
David

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I already use what AnnArborBob suggested. The Vault. It's not coming off without a whole lot of noise and damage.
Davz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davz2k View Post
I already use what AnnArborBob suggested. The Vault. It's not coming off without a whole lot of noise and damage.

A screwdriver or slide hammer applied to lock takes care of that. Many YouTube videos on lock picking.

The question is how hard is it to tow after locks removed?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post

Vanster,
We have a Megahitch Lock (not totally happy with it) and we have a "The Boot" see post #13 in this post.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rs-129516.html
I think "The Boot" is the most visible and there for the best deterrent. It is bright orange and doubles as a chock block.
I also changed my 7 pin umbilical plug and receptacle to the heavy duty pin style connectors. Same as the commercial trucks use. So unless they have the same thing they will not have brakes or lights.
As we know, if THEY want it THEY will get it. However if mine is harder to get than another, perhaps they will move on to the easier target.

Best of luck,
Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote