Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #1501
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Beach Park , Illinois
Rear camera

Rear camera links up and has sound but no picture. Any ideas? It worked in the drive a month ago but it looks like a cloud
51hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #1502
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Could it be a spider built a web over the camera lens?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #1503
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Beach Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Could it be a spider built a web over the camera lens?
Yeah I checked that and noticed moisture on the inside of the lens. Maybe it got full of water and I'm sure that wouldn't help
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #1504
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Way back in the posts, I remember seeing a partial hole cut thru the vinyl flooring... where the furnace vent(s) ducts screw to the floor with hole cut "haphazardly" cut... not the full size of the hole thru the plywood.

Mine are like that and the holes would flow maybe 1/3 the air based on the hole cut with razor knife and I am sure this is intentional. I left them that way, because I would just as soon not have heat wasted warming a less than freezing underbelly. My 23 has a furnace that is really not up to the task.
Clint
Old 09-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #1505
Wolfwhistle

I had the fridge fans out today and thought I would post a pic of the housing I built for DC/DC converter and digital thermostat and wiring. Only awkward thing is that its Celsius only. I have it set to close at 31c and with the hysteresis set to 5, it turns off at 26c on the dot. That probably should be set to 3. I leave the inside switch on all the time.

It can also provide contact closure when temperature drops to a certain point.
Clint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	351794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	351795  

Name:	IMG_2111.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	351797  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #1506
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Beach Park , Illinois
Well after checking out the forum about cameras it seems water is the big problem. Duh
Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #1507
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Beach Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
I had the fridge fans out today and thought I would post a pic of the housing I built for DC/DC converter and digital thermostat and wiring. Only awkward thing is that its Celsius only. I have it set to close at 31c and with the hysteresis set to 5, it turns off at 26c on the dot. That probably should be set to 3. I leave the inside switch on all the time.

It can also provide contact closure when temperature drops to a certain point.
Clint
Thanks for the pics and layout. I'm going to do mine next spring. Have the parts already. John
Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #1508
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Why the DC/DC converter? Is this so you can run the fridge off battery while driving, vs propane? Or, is this more accurate temp control? Knock on wood, our fridge has been working great for years.
I agree also on opening the heat vents up to the water tanks. I’m not really planning on camping in sub freezing temps. I don’t mind a little frost, but we will move before we are in hard freezing temps. The furnace seems to do ok for us when we need it. Doesn’t push very much heat into the bath or bedroom, but that’s been ok. The upside is, it’s not draining the batteries as quickly..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #1509
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The solution to the factory installed solitary fan in the top vent on our 2015 23D that was a complete waste of time is shown below. The fans come on whenever the Dan Foss freon based compressor in the Vitrifrigo DP150i is running on either 120Vac or 12Vdc.

The photo with one fan is the factory installation when we had the stock Dometic refrigerator. The modification to the three exhaust fans with fully blocked off top vent area forces all the air to come in the bottom vent and bring cooling air flow past the refrigerator. The new fridge with separate freezer is shown after installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23D Fridge Cooling fan new inside view-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	351833   Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Fridge Cooling fan new outside view-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	351834  

Name:	23D Fridge Cooling fan original-1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	351835   Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Vitrifrigo installation.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	351836  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #1510
Wolfwhistle

The temperature control module I picked has a max voltage of 12.5, since I charge at 14.4 to 14.6 (way too high for it) so after reading about failures with it I decided to add this converter to deliver 9v no matter the input voltage. There are other ways to limit to 12v, such as, a zener diode. This was just easier IMO.

I took others advice and fully closed of the top vent exhaust side, so air has to flow thru the fan openings, whether running or not.
Clint
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #1511
Wolfwhistle

Switz, I would love to get that fridge.
C
Old 09-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #1512
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
Bedroom windows closing on lowest setting

After retiring in June then spending seven weeks on the road and just now settling in as the house-husband I've finally had the time to work through about the first forty pages of the 23FB thread. Very helpful.

With that said - if someone has raised this question in the following 68 pages, my apologies. I'll get there eventually.

On our road trip I noticed that the curbside and street side windows in the bedroom of our 2018 23FB, when set on the lowest of the three "open" settings, will close all the way. Very inconvenient when your camping in Montana and want just a little air through the room overnight without having to run the fan. I can find no adjustment and, of course, the other two settings work just fine because they have a little more wiggle room.

Before I go back to the dealer in Salt Lake City (whom I highly recommend) to get a couple of other things fixed before my two year warranty runs out in the spring I thought I'd see if there's an easy fix.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig
Missoula
cajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #1513
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
Lift kit drama

Well, this is interesting. I'm now up to page 63 on this thread and got curious about the lift kits. Decided to take the advice of sending a picture of the axle sticker to Decker to get a price on the right kits. The response was quick but surprising:

DEXTER PARTS ONLINE
1:52 PM (52 minutes ago)
to me

Only way to add Lift Kit, is to do away with the shock mounts/ shocks.

Thank you,
Justin Isom
Branch Manager
Dexter Parts Online
(864) 263-3170

Input?
Old 09-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #1514
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajohnson View Post
Well, this is interesting. I'm now up to page 63 on this thread and got curious about the lift kits. Decided to take the advice of sending a picture of the axle sticker to Decker to get a price on the right kits. The response was quick but surprising:

DEXTER PARTS ONLINE
1:52 PM (52 minutes ago)
to me

Only way to add Lift Kit, is to do away with the shock mounts/ shocks.

Thank you,
Justin Isom
Branch Manager
Dexter Parts Online
(864) 263-3170

Input?
Shocks are still on my 23FB with the Dexter 2-3/4" lift kit. There seems to be enough free travel in the original shocks, but some members have relocated the shock mount. Maybe I should check it out closer. It wouldn't be that hard to rework the mounts. Most trailers don't even have shocks, although I am sure they help.
Cling
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #1515
Wolfwhistle

caj,

From axle full down position, shock needs 14.5" of travel. So, that is the measurement you are shooting for from bolt center to bolt center (axle to frame shock bolts) From memory, which isn't as good as it was, I had 14" and figured that I didn't need to do anything, but as they say YMMV
Clint
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #1516
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
I'm not planning on doing the work myself. I tend more toward over estimating my mechanical abilities on my motorcycles than the AS. I just found it curious that with all of the folks on this thread that have done the lift that the guy at Dexter would make it sound nearly impossible and not mention a kit number. Since Portland is only about 600 miles away (a hop skip and not even a jump in this part of the country) we'll probably run down there if I decide to go for it. Could someone give me some more details on who does the conversion in Portland?
Craig
Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #1517
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Antelope , California
On our road trip I noticed that the curbside and street side windows in the bedroom of our 2018 23FB, when set on the lowest of the three "open" settings, will close all the way. Very inconvenient when your camping in Montana and want just a little air through the room overnight without having to run the fan. I can find no adjustment and, of course, the other two settings work just fine because they have a little more wiggle room.

Before I go back to the dealer in Salt Lake City (whom I highly recommend) to get a couple of other things fixed before my two year warranty runs out in the spring I thought I'd see if there's an easy fix.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig
Missoula[/QUOTE]

Ours does that too. I found that cutting up dollar store pool noodles the width of the windows and putting them on the bottom of the window keeps the window open enough for a bit of air to get through Plus it keeps you from bonking your head when they are open
Vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #1518
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
I'm not planning on doing the work myself. I tend more toward over estimating my mechanical abilities on my motorcycles than the AS. I just found it curious that with all of the folks on this thread that have done the lift that the guy at Dexter would make it sound nearly impossible and not mention a kit number. Since Portland is only about 600 miles away (a hop skip and not even a jump in this part of the country) we'll probably run down there if I decide to go for it. Could someone give me some more details on who does the conversion in Portland?
Craig
Craig,
I received this information from “No Results” a member here on the forum. I believe he’s moved on to a 27’ AS, but I think he still gets over to this thread occasionally. Here’s his reply to me.

“My trailer is exactly like yours. I had it done as it was about a 4 hour job. I went to a truck and trailer repair place that is a dealer for Dexter axle the type we have. My total cost installed was 378.00 which was very fair. We have no sales tax in Oregon.

My purpose in doing it was to get enough clearance to back up my new driveway to park the trailer next to my home.
This gave me the clearance I needed. I can not tell any difference in towing and recently cokmpleted a 2000 mile trip.

I had McKay Truck, Trailer, & RV Repair & Service in Albany, Or do the work for me.
Their phone #(541) 928-3331

They are a division of Potter Webster Company out of Portland, Or and are an authorized dealer of Dexter axles.

They did a good job and considering that they had to reroute the gas line I felt I got a good job at a good price.

I found them through Dexter Axles dealer list.

Dave”

I hope this helps. I’m planning on going by there next summer. Our plans are to drive the pacific coast highway from Seattle to Santa Barbara.
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #1519
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Ventrifrigo refrigerator is an Italian Marine (boat) unit. The 8.1 cubic foot was around $1,245 and the 5.3 cu ft was around $1,430. The freight was around $374 from the dealer in Seattle, WA to near Dallas, TX.

The vendor was Sure Marine Service, Inc in Seattle at 206-784-9903. This prices were on 16 March 2016.

The units come with an inverter so it can be plugged into 120Vac and auto switch to battery when the 120Vac power is unavailable. The Dan Foss compressor itself is 12Vdc and draws around 58 watts when running.

Starting the fridge while hooking up at the storage unit, it is cold by the time I drive the 10 miles to our home to start loading it for a trip.

The doors have replaceable panels so we put in magnetic stainless steel so the wife has room for lots of magnetic signs and badges.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #1520
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
The trick we have always used is to pick up two sets of bicycle grips, and use one in each of the side and rear windows as needed. Just put them in the frame with one end on the label at the bottom of the window, and the window will stay open about 4 inches. You can get them from your local bike shop, Walmart, or Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/OUTERDO-Handl...dp/B0129GOQKC/). They're easy to store in the window frame when not in use, and cheap. The only downside is that on a windy day they can pop out and roll under the trailer, but you can secure them to the window latches with a little bit of cord if that's a problem.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote