Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Different strokes. Ha.. we tried sleeping in different beds when we had the Bambi. We always camp at altitude, and it's cold at night. Gotta snuggle. I agree the bath is not that big of a deal to me. The 23FB being much larger, but the wife greatly prefers the bath.. I haven't seen the dinette in the newer 23FBs, our dinette isn't circular. The tab,e goes over to the window. We sit across from each other if it's raining and we are inside. I put my feet up on her bench, and she does the same to mine. We did buy a big screen room to take along with us, it got roll down rain covers for all the screens. We can hang out in it for bad weather. We go fo small isolated campsites. Not big RV parking lots. Guess we are not real social. No kids, don't bring the dog. It's perfect for two people getting away.

Agreed! We sleep together at home and would never want to sleep apart on our little adventures. That queen bed is wonderful for us.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Yes, oddly enough the person sitting with their back to the bed has more room. The other side is a bit tighter. I guess it's because they are made by hand one by one. Who knows? We each have our 'side' because of this issue. We have talked to others with the same issue.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #103
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinmeredith View Post
Yes, oddly enough the person sitting with their back to the bed has more room. The other side is a bit tighter. -- snip --
No logic to one side being smaller. The mounting should be centered to allow bed conversion. Odd there would be a difference in a '17. Maybe going to 15" wheels shifted the layout some. Ours shifts out to make more room at the back and that puts the surface closer to the galley for prep, but we really don't find it necessary. If you rotate the table, the shift gives more room on one side or the other. Have not found a use for that configuration, but admitting I need extra room would be painful. Pat

Edit - others see it too? Got to check. Maybe we never noticed. Very odd.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
No logic to one side being smaller. The mounting should be centered to allow bed conversion. Odd there would be a difference in a '17. Maybe going to 15" wheels shifted the layout some. Ours shifts out to make more room at the back and that puts the surface closer to the galley for prep, but we really don't find it necessary. If you rotate the table, the shift gives more room on one side or the other. Have not found a use for that configuration, but admitting I need extra room would be painful. Pat

Edit - others see it too? Got to check. Maybe we never noticed. Very odd.

It's a matter of inches but the table falls at just the right place to make it snug at the abdominal area for those of us without our former youthful proportions [emoji6] just on the one side. We talked with someone this weekend with the same issue. They had their table made smaller at Jackson Center. However, if you start Messing with that then the bed will have gaps. We don't use the dinette for a bed currently but when we bring a grandchild it will be an issue.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #105
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I haven't seen the dinette in the newer 23FBs, our dinette isn't circular. The tab,e goes over to the window. We sit across from each other if it's raining and we are inside. I put my feet up on her bench, and she does the same to mine.
On yours, the dinette is against the window and the wheel well extends under the table--no big deal for two people. My initial thoughts were that for four people (if ever) the two sitting against the window would have limited floor space.

Starting in 2014, they went to the U dinette, putting the wheel well under the u dinette seating.

Anyway...good feedback from everyone. Was just curious how the U dinette was working for others.

First-world problems for sure!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #106
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
I know there was one person who totally removed the table and dinette. They replaced it with a couch and basically use tray tables. Does anyone else know of other changes that can be made? I know there isn't a ton of room to work with.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #107
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
Really? Sitting across from one another there is equal room on each side of our table. Unless you're talking about the window side, which is pretty much useless. Honestly, it's my only complaint about the 23FB. I think I would prefer the old booth style over the U dinette. Seems like it would be more stable.
In retrospect I'd rather have the booth style too even though it meant the wheel well was under about a third of the table near the wall.

By the way, surely you know but just in case...you can release a latch under your table and move it away from the window seat to create more room and make that bench side useable.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Brought my Flying Cloud 23FB home today for the first time and have discovered a few questions.

1. Are there any of the round 12v outlets? Our previous MH had tons of them and our plugs fit them. If the Airstream has none, I am going to have to replace all of those power cords.

2. Our trailer came with the back up camera installed. After getting home and unhooking, I am trying to pair the receiver with the camera, no joy. Do I have to turn on the camera some way? Is it only live when hooked to the truck and/or the truck is in reverse?

I am going to have to go back to the dealer already. After getting home, we discovered that the bedroom Fantastic Fan is DOA. I know, we should have tested before leaving the dealer.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Brought my Flying Cloud 23FB home today for the first time and have discovered a few questions.

1. Are there any of the round 12v outlets? Our previous MH had tons of them and our plugs fit them. If the Airstream has none, I am going to have to replace all of those power cords.

2. Our trailer came with the back up camera installed. After getting home and unhooking, I am trying to pair the receiver with the camera, no joy. Do I have to turn on the camera some way? Is it only live when hooked to the truck and/or the truck is in reverse?

I am going to have to go back to the dealer already. After getting home, we discovered that the bedroom Fantastic Fan is DOA. I know, we should have tested before leaving the dealer.
In our 2017 International 23FB, there were no 12V outlets. We had Orange County Airstream add two of them, one in the closet behind the TV for a bit of equipment and another under the dinette. You want to use 12V power where you can, it's much more efficient than AC inverter power - especially when you have no hookups.

For the backup camera, make sure your headlights are on in your tow vehicle. That's what controls the camera power.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Welcome to the club, we also have a 2017 23 FB. There are no round 12 volt outlets, they have all been replaced with USB outlets. You may be able to get an adaptor. In order for the backup camera to be powered, the Airstream running lights need to be on. Parking lights or headlights will both do this as long as the Airstream is plugged into your tow vehicle.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #111
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
As stated already...cord needs to be plugged into tow vehicle and parking or headlights on to power the camera.

The Fantastic Fans require a PHD to operate. Be sure the speed selector on (not '0'), plus the big toggle switch to 'on', and lastly the smaller toggle to the 'open' position to lift the cover. They are maddening with all the switches.

Congrats on your new trailer. I'm sure you're relieved to finally be able to actually go look at all the things you have had questions about.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
The Fantastic Fans require a PHD to operate. Be sure the speed selector on (not '0'), plus the big toggle switch to 'on', and lastly the smaller toggle to the 'open' position to lift the cover. They are maddening with all the switches.
YOU, SIR, ARE A GENIUS! Turning that one knob off of 0 fixed it!
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #113
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
YOU, SIR, ARE A GENIUS! Turning that one knob off of 0 fixed it!
Ask me how I knew And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Now to turn the damn thing off...just flip the small lid switch to the down position, it will close and shut itself off, then flip that switch to open and turn on again.

Also, if you want it open for ventilation but without the fan, if memory serves, you click the big toggle to 'off' if the fan is open and running, and it will turn off the fan motor but leave the lid open...but still will close it if it starts to rain.

Lastly, before towing, after closing it, I also turn the speed switch to 'o' and the big toggle to 'off' just to be sure there is no power to it and some weird glitch could cause it to open.

Spending the night in her in the driveway I hope?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #114
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Furnace Cover flush?

Hey folks, the furnace cover (located under cabinets beneath the kitchen sink in our 23FBs) on my 2014 stuck out a half inch or so. You could see the silver steel furnace chassis in the side gap, and also that extra half inch was just a little more mass for my cloddhopper feet to keep kicking. The furnace was not installed so the chassis flange was flush with the cabinetry.

I finally took it upon myself to take apart enough cabinetry to expose the furnace. After writhing around and feeling behind it, it turns out there was a sheath of electrical wires routed behind the furnace between it and the inner skin, that it was pressing up against. Another example of an installer encountering a problem that impacted fit and finish, but instead of having it property addressed, just screwed down the furnace and installed the cover with a big gap, and called it a day.

I wrestled with the wiring and managed to move the bundle above the back of the furnace so it was no longer interfering, which allowed me to push the furnace back another quarter inch or so...still not perfectly flush, but better. Had to reinstall cabinetry in order to really see, and after doing so, it was not perfect. But I didn't want to pull the cabinetry apart again. So I'll live with the gap that remains.

Anyway...anyone else have this issue or does your furnace cover fit nice and flush against the cabinetry? Since the wiring is the same, I'm wondering if mine was missing a zip tie or something that would have supported it higher up and not behind the furnace, but it was overlooked at the factory.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #115
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Dinette - believe the wheel well has always been under the window. How do folks sit side by side in the older dinette configuration? One leg up and one down?

Yes, there are two mods that have been posted. One installed two captain's chairs with folding TV tables. The other is similar to a couch with the storage boxes as foot stools. Can't remember if it's one or two. Probably others that have not been shared.

We find the window area good to store stuff that needs to be out of the pathway. Travel books, camera, the case of water, a fan ...... all that stuff that is not packed away when we are parked. The area under the table is a resting place for the trailer tire chains and heavy stuff that needs to be stored when we head down the road.

If you narrow the table, a set of filler/support blocks can be attached to the seats when you need to make up the bed. Probably make it more sturdy with some thought.

And when we visited JC, a lady with an International 23 told us she had installed bi-directional switches on her Fantastic fans. It's an upgrade that is not far off after some more house todos get finished. Hate having to run only one fan when the coach is closed up.

Got to be more info out there. Pile it on. Pat
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #116
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Hey folks, the furnace cover (located under cabinets beneath the kitchen sink in our 23FBs) on my 2014 stuck out a half inch or so. --snip --
The 2015 has a different vent system. Note the round black one above GiGi's head. There is a second one to the Left. Guess the factory was aware of the problem and changed design. Pat
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #117
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
We find the window area good to store stuff that needs to be out of the pathway. Travel books, camera, the case of water, a fan ...... all that stuff that is not packed away when we are parked.
Pat, specifically what do you mean? On the long seat along the wall, or on the back of the seat cushion along the windows (once you are set up?) I know the rounded seat back cushion that abuts the bedroom wardrobe is a wider spot to place things.

Another thought I've had is since I don't ever see myself using the microwave, taking it out and having the opening finished out nicely that would provide a nice open, wide, and deep storage area above the fridge. I took a look and it would require a nice bottom installed and some tidying up of the face frame to make it look nice. And it would easily be reversible to put the microwave back in at sale time. Plus there is an outlet back there for the micro that could charge phones, laptop etc that are in a nice out of the way place but easily accessible.

I find the lack of horizontal 'casual' storage space to be a real challenge on the 23FB.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #118
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The 2015 has a different vent system. Note the round black one above GiGi's head. There is a second one to the Left. Guess the factory was aware of the problem and changed design. Pat
MUCH cleaner look! So much nicer than the painted steel monstrosity from earlier years.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #119
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Pat, specifically what do you mean? -- snip -- microwave, taking it out and having the opening finished -- snip -- phones, laptop etc that are in a nice out of the way place but easily accessible. -- snip -- storage space to be a real challenge on the 23FB.
Both. The corner is great. The seat in the middle between the corners works too. Have given some thought to making the area even more storage friendly by making a removable box with shelves or compartments.

Would never remove the Microwave. It makes tea, heats the muffins, heats the nachos, cooks the mac and cheese, warms the ..... it gets used a lot. Folks do it. We would not.

Phone and laptop storage in the overhead above dinette. Also sits on the cushion under the window and USB port under to charge. May be different on your 2014.

The 23 has space. But you are correct. It is necessary to organize it and put it away until needed. Still tweaking and tuning. Pat
Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Agreed....microwave is valuable. When not in use I store bread or other items in there. We also use the middle seat (under window) for storage. I keep a tote bag there with items I'll use off and on during the trip, i.e. Sunglasses, handbag, sun lotion, Nook) . I also put my feel/legs up there when relaxing at the dinette.