Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #1261
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Seabeck , Washington
Where the heck is the inverter?

OK, was pretty sure prior to trying it, that the InstaPot wasn't going to work on batteries. But with that admitted, we lost the inverter trying it. The manual says it would reset once everything was turned off - it didn't. So I am thinking that it might be a fuse issue. I've looked all over this AS and can't seem to find the actual inverter. Can anyone direct me to it so I don't have to start unscrewing panels to every nook and cranny?
Thanks!

Seabeckpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #1262
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It is in the curb side front of the bed frame. There is a door that you can unscrew for assess. Slide the mattress down against the escape window wall. Should see the door in the top of the bed frame plywood cover. There iusc a fuse/reset button at the top front of the inverter. It is screwed to the wall the is the spline front to back at the lift access panel hinge. Think back of the outside storage compartment, but forward of that area. Pat

Edit - look at post 1242. The text label showing in upper right of picture is the inverter. The rectangle to the right is a vent screen under the end table. Thanks goes out to the helpful poster that told me where it was located. Together we do better.

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #1263
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Back on the topic of battery monitors for a second... Do they need to be recalibrated if the battery is disconnected or do they store the calibration data?
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #1264
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
New subject - starting the battery install and opened up the bed frame area. Found that the screws into the floor that hold the frame in place and the screws that secure the connecting frame splines were loose. The front sections have moved 1/2-3/4 inch. It is somewhat a non-issue because I had planned to reinforce the spline connections to hold battery bank securely. But it was a surprise to fine the movement. Pat
Old 07-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #1265
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
You're installing batteries under the bed? AGM?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #1266
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
No, Battleborn lithiums. AGMs work, but no weight savings. Project is intended to eliminate our need to carry a generator and pull some weight off the tongue. Then the water in the fresh tank can be an adjustable variable to tune the load out. Pat

Edit - Clint - think I figured out why you mounted the monitor on the dinette side of the closet. Looks to be easier to route the wiring. Inspection tomorrow to confirm the error of my prior assumptions.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:39 AM   #1267
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Beach Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
I used a self-closing cabinet hinge. It doesnít move.

Iíll get a bronze one and replace the silver one and stain the 1/2Ē birch dark, eventually.

Using it now for 6 days, I love it. Why AS puts it too high to operate while in bed but too low to use standing is beyond me. I could have mentioned that in the bitch session.yesterday but didnít. Most of the issue is the display that has to be viewed straight on. Slightly off the side and I canít read it.

I need to see if this fixed in the newer models.

Iím at the Doswell WBCCI rally

Clint
I'm doing mine today. I have some oak draw stock and cabinet hinges in the shop. I agree it's something AS should change very hard to read as is.
Thanks for the info and idea.
51hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #1268
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Seabeck , Washington
Found it! They hid that little bugger well. Thanks for the help all.
Seabeckpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #1269
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The plywood cover on the bed is screwed in place at the head. It covers the compartments shown in the picture. The hinged portion of the under bed storage covers from just above this picture to the foot and has spring lifts to hold it up while you store your stuff. There is a screwed down plywood hatch over this electrical cabinet on the curb side front corner. The dark rectangle is a vent screen that is located beside the end table. The wiring dives into the curb side shell (center bottom of picture) and comes out in the area under the water heater. It then goes under the floor at a point below the front dinette seat and transits to the converter under the refrigerator. Note exterior access storage is cabinet to the left in the picture.

Edit - Clint - how did you feed the monitor wire to your mounting location? I'm looking at feeding it between the bed frame and the hot water heater cabinet and then up the closet wall to about where the furnace/AC control is mounted. Not as nice a location as yours, but easier to access and the furnace/AC control wiring needs a cover inside the closet to protect it from the storage in the closet. Can we assume you located the shunt where the battery cable attaches to the constant on breaker strip just above where the cables dive into the wall? Somewhat confused. My 700 series monitor instructions say to locate the shunt on the ground side and connect the fused red lead on the positive side of the battery. Is this just a difference in model types or ???

Hope that helps. Pat

One more question... (I was unable to hold off on ordering the monitor). Does the negative cable go into this space under the bed as a single cable, or does it split like in the install threads on the bigger coaches?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #1270
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
The ground bus is in the corner cabinet with the inverter. See the post that shows picture of the area. Negative cable terminates on that bus bar. Not sure if there is a split from the battery box to accommodate the inverter. Check picture posted prior in post 1242. That may help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I found on the cable routing for the monitor readout was that there really is not a good route up the bed side of the closet. The drawers block the path. The clear path is up the dinette side of the closet. The AC control goes up that side and over the top and down to the bed wall position. So I had it all wrong and will need a new plan.

Pat
Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 AM   #1271
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
My 2015 has two negative cables from battery box toe electrical area under bed. I combined them for one side of the shunt then led new cables from the shunt to the inverter and the trailer. Installed monitor in dinette side closet Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4268.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	347629Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4278.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	347630
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #1272
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
The 23FB forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson View Post
My 2015 has two negative cables from battery box toe electrical area under bed. I combined them for one side of the shunt then led new cables from the shunt to the inverter and the trailer. Installed monitor in dinette side closet Attachment 347629Attachment 347630

That's a good pic. Did you actually pull a new cableto the inverter behind the sink?

I'm wondering why there is a separate cable to the inverter. Maybe it's to prevent the ground from floating up in the event of some resistance developing in the bus bar area due to age and corrosion.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #1273
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Mine is looking like a huge PITA. There are two cables coming from the battery box to the coach. There's a massive black cable inside that is bigger than anything coming off the box going to the distribution box. Two other black cables come through the hole. One goes to another point in the dist box and another to the inverter.

Options:

return the unit and get the trimetric which I believe can have the shunt outside the box. There's enough daylight between the hole and the wires to snake the control wires through

Get someone else to do it. Maybe the dealer. I don't really want to spend the time lying on my stomach and working out how to do this and connecting heavy cables

also noted there are several wires that have connectors on them that are just dangling inside the box. I wonder what that is about. I'll ask the dealer when I bring it in for maintenanceClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190726_094802~2.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	347649
Old 07-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #1274
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Mine is looking like a huge PITA. There are two cables coming from the battery box to the coach. There's a massive black cable inside that is bigger than anything coming off the box going to the distribution box.
When you say 'distribution box', I think you might be referring to the box where the 7-way umbilical wire comes in...that would be a big fat black wire. Nothing needed to be done with that, leave it all alone.

Quote:
Two other black cables come through the hole. One goes to another point in the dist box and another to the inverter.
The only two black wires coming from the battery would be 1) 12V house feed, which goes to the negative Bus bar; and the inverter negative (should be bigger of the two) that goes to the inverter.

Quote:
Get someone else to do it. Maybe the dealer. I don't really want to spend the time lying out my stomach and working out how to do this and connecting heavy cables
The best approach really is to completely remove the top of the bed and get this area exposed and give yourself some working space. Then it's really quite easy to get it done once you have that access. I know it looks intimidating at first, but once you sort out which wire is which, it starts to make sense.

Quote:
also noted there are several wires that have connectors on them that are just dangling inside the box. I wonder what that is about. I'll ask the dealer when I bring it in for maintenance
Off the top of my head, there will be solar prewires (three) loose in that area, that will lead to wherever the other ends are up in your roof; then there will be a telephone cable looking wire...which is the prewire for battery monitor, the other end will be somewhere, likely the galley area in the wall behind the inverter switch. That's where I installed my BMV 712. Note that if using the monitor pre-wire, I had to cut the ends off the Victron-supplied wire and splice to the pre-wire, both ends, in order to plug in to the monitor and the shunt. Other option is to mount the monitor somewhere else and use the Victron-supplied wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4619.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	347653
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4622.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	347652

pcskier is online now   Reply With Quote

« The 23D thread | Top | - »