Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #113
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
YOU, SIR, ARE A GENIUS! Turning that one knob off of 0 fixed it!
Ask me how I knew And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Now to turn the damn thing off...just flip the small lid switch to the down position, it will close and shut itself off, then flip that switch to open and turn on again.

Also, if you want it open for ventilation but without the fan, if memory serves, you click the big toggle to 'off' if the fan is open and running, and it will turn off the fan motor but leave the lid open...but still will close it if it starts to rain.

Lastly, before towing, after closing it, I also turn the speed switch to 'o' and the big toggle to 'off' just to be sure there is no power to it and some weird glitch could cause it to open.

Spending the night in her in the driveway I hope?

pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #114
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Furnace Cover flush?

Hey folks, the furnace cover (located under cabinets beneath the kitchen sink in our 23FBs) on my 2014 stuck out a half inch or so. You could see the silver steel furnace chassis in the side gap, and also that extra half inch was just a little more mass for my cloddhopper feet to keep kicking. The furnace was not installed so the chassis flange was flush with the cabinetry.

I finally took it upon myself to take apart enough cabinetry to expose the furnace. After writhing around and feeling behind it, it turns out there was a sheath of electrical wires routed behind the furnace between it and the inner skin, that it was pressing up against. Another example of an installer encountering a problem that impacted fit and finish, but instead of having it property addressed, just screwed down the furnace and installed the cover with a big gap, and called it a day.

I wrestled with the wiring and managed to move the bundle above the back of the furnace so it was no longer interfering, which allowed me to push the furnace back another quarter inch or so...still not perfectly flush, but better. Had to reinstall cabinetry in order to really see, and after doing so, it was not perfect. But I didn't want to pull the cabinetry apart again. So I'll live with the gap that remains.

Anyway...anyone else have this issue or does your furnace cover fit nice and flush against the cabinetry? Since the wiring is the same, I'm wondering if mine was missing a zip tie or something that would have supported it higher up and not behind the furnace, but it was overlooked at the factory.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #115
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Dinette - believe the wheel well has always been under the window. How do folks sit side by side in the older dinette configuration? One leg up and one down?

Yes, there are two mods that have been posted. One installed two captain's chairs with folding TV tables. The other is similar to a couch with the storage boxes as foot stools. Can't remember if it's one or two. Probably others that have not been shared.

We find the window area good to store stuff that needs to be out of the pathway. Travel books, camera, the case of water, a fan ...... all that stuff that is not packed away when we are parked. The area under the table is a resting place for the trailer tire chains and heavy stuff that needs to be stored when we head down the road.

If you narrow the table, a set of filler/support blocks can be attached to the seats when you need to make up the bed. Probably make it more sturdy with some thought.

And when we visited JC, a lady with an International 23 told us she had installed bi-directional switches on her Fantastic fans. It's an upgrade that is not far off after some more house todos get finished. Hate having to run only one fan when the coach is closed up.

Got to be more info out there. Pile it on. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #116
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Hey folks, the furnace cover (located under cabinets beneath the kitchen sink in our 23FBs) on my 2014 stuck out a half inch or so. --snip --
The 2015 has a different vent system. Note the round black one above GiGi's head. There is a second one to the Left. Guess the factory was aware of the problem and changed design. Pat
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #117
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We find the window area good to store stuff that needs to be out of the pathway. Travel books, camera, the case of water, a fan ...... all that stuff that is not packed away when we are parked.
Pat, specifically what do you mean? On the long seat along the wall, or on the back of the seat cushion along the windows (once you are set up?) I know the rounded seat back cushion that abuts the bedroom wardrobe is a wider spot to place things.

Another thought I've had is since I don't ever see myself using the microwave, taking it out and having the opening finished out nicely that would provide a nice open, wide, and deep storage area above the fridge. I took a look and it would require a nice bottom installed and some tidying up of the face frame to make it look nice. And it would easily be reversible to put the microwave back in at sale time. Plus there is an outlet back there for the micro that could charge phones, laptop etc that are in a nice out of the way place but easily accessible.

I find the lack of horizontal 'casual' storage space to be a real challenge on the 23FB.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #118
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The 2015 has a different vent system. Note the round black one above GiGi's head. There is a second one to the Left. Guess the factory was aware of the problem and changed design. Pat
MUCH cleaner look! So much nicer than the painted steel monstrosity from earlier years.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #119
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Pat, specifically what do you mean? -- snip -- microwave, taking it out and having the opening finished -- snip -- phones, laptop etc that are in a nice out of the way place but easily accessible. -- snip -- storage space to be a real challenge on the 23FB.
Both. The corner is great. The seat in the middle between the corners works too. Have given some thought to making the area even more storage friendly by making a removable box with shelves or compartments.

Would never remove the Microwave. It makes tea, heats the muffins, heats the nachos, cooks the mac and cheese, warms the ..... it gets used a lot. Folks do it. We would not.

Phone and laptop storage in the overhead above dinette. Also sits on the cushion under the window and USB port under to charge. May be different on your 2014.

The 23 has space. But you are correct. It is necessary to organize it and put it away until needed. Still tweaking and tuning. Pat
Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Agreed....microwave is valuable. When not in use I store bread or other items in there. We also use the middle seat (under window) for storage. I keep a tote bag there with items I'll use off and on during the trip, i.e. Sunglasses, handbag, sun lotion, Nook) . I also put my feel/legs up there when relaxing at the dinette.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Dinette - believe the wheel well has always been under the window. How do folks sit side by side in the older dinette configuration? One leg up and one down.
And when we visited JC, a lady with an International 23 told us she had installed bi-directional switches on her Fantastic fans.
Got to be more info out there. Pile it on. Pat
We have the older style, with the wheel well under the back of the table, under the window. We keep stuff sitting on that ledge. I don't recall ever trying to sit side by side in the dinette. We trade back and forth on who gets the seat closest to the bed. That seat faces the rear, which is always the best view. Seems like we always back in to campsites, and the good view is out the back.
(We've only had one overnight guest since we bought it, so the dinette has only been converted to a bed that one time.)
As for the fans, we just manually crank up the cover for one of them, so we can run the other one, if the doors and windows are closed up.
I leave one cracked just about every night for ventilation.

PCSkier, we have the older style furnace, but it does fit flush to the cabinet face. My only concern with it over the years, is that the hot air coming out of it would probably scorch the bathroom door if we left it completely open. So, we have to close up the bathroom when I run the furnace. That means the bathroom is a bit chilly in the mornings, as the heat vents from the furnace into the bedroom, or bathroom are pretty worthless.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #122
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
GA - thanks for the confirmation. Bet kids would fit with feet over the well cover and appreciate that their feet did not hang.

Bags - yes, they really help control stuff. We started with bare walls at the door and have transitioned to three full time canvas totes with misc stuff staged there for pickup as we leave. We got tired of the remote controls falling out of the overhead electronics door when we opened it. So we put them in a shoe bag and used one of the expansion rods that Camco sells for refrigerators to nest the bag on the shelf. No more surprises.

Pat
Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #123
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The 23 has space. But you are correct. It is necessary to organize it and put it away until needed. Still tweaking and tuning. Pat
Great advice. There is a ton of storage, I haven't even ventured under the bed yet to store anything except for rolls of paper towels.

I used stick-on velcro on my three remotes. The remote for the stereo is mounted next to the head unit in the A/V cabinet. The DVD player remote is mounted on the back of the cabinet door (made sure I placed it so door would close.) TV remote is mounted on the wall behind the tv. All three have stayed secure through some pretty rough off-road towing, and all three are out of the way but always easily accessible.

I am also going to add some cargo netting to the A/V cabinet to keep the things that are in there from falling out whenever I open it after towing. (I keep spare batteries and other odds and ends up there).
Old 06-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #124
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Cargo net sounds workable. Have been reluctant to drill holes, but the removable (Command?) stick on hooks and pads seem to work.

The storage under the bed adds to tongue weight. Bulky light weight items are good for that location. Hold the heavier gear as far back toward the axles as feasible. The corner next to the tall closet has value for heavy temp storage (case of wine or?). The bottom of that closet is good for short gear and heavy stores. A pair of plastic crates fits to hold all in place. Light stuff also fits in front and at the foot of the bed, unless you are nimble enough to use that space for feet and legs. I'm not.

Starting to look at shifting stuff. Used the outside cubbie for tools, power cable and hose. May find a more central location for the power cable. It is a bit heavy. Tools got shifted into the TV last year and that may change with the load out this year.

Good luck with your consideration. Pat
Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinmeredith View Post
In order for the backup camera to be powered, the Airstream running lights need to be on. Parking lights or headlights will both do this as long as the Airstream is plugged into your tow vehicle.
This also works with my "emergency beacon." I have taken a vehicle side 7 pin socket and wired the hot wire and the marker lights together. When I plug the trailer connector into that socket, it uses the trailer's battery to activate the marker lights. That is how I powered up the camera (rather than having to back my truck up and hook it up). Worked like a charm. Got nice clear image of the area behind the trailer.

As an aside, I have an LED capable blinker wired between those two wires so the marker lights on the trailer flash. If I ever have to call the police or an ambulance to a crowded campground, I can tell them to look for the flashing marker lights. I took the flasher out for this usage.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #126
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
This also works with my "emergency beacon." I have taken a vehicle side 7 pin socket and wired the hot wire and the marker lights together. When I plug the trailer connector into that socket, it uses the trailer's battery to activate the marker lights. That is how I powered up the camera (rather than having to back my truck up and hook it up). Worked like a charm. Got nice clear image of the area behind the trailer.

As an aside, I have an LED capable blinker wired between those two wires so the marker lights on the trailer flash. If I ever have to call the police or an ambulance to a crowded campground, I can tell them to look for the flashing marker lights. I took the flasher out for this usage.
You are smarter than the average bear! I knew the trick of using a blade fuse or something to jump the connector to turn on the marker lights...but that never occurred to me as a way to power up the camera...well done