Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #534
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
23fb/Tundra extreme adventure

Getting Away
We had (7) Tundras in our company fleet.
These are IMO 325000 mile trucks.
I have 247000 work miles on my 2007.
Buy used.
Buy with clean car fax.
Buy with max tow.
Toyota care service on carfax is a plus.
Probably pay 12-14 k for a great one.
They are kind of rare with 8 ft bed.
Set up ultimate adventure tow rig in
12-14k range.
1885# payload on sill.
Cheaper than EB
Love my 23 fb!
Tom

Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #535
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Gettin Away
Possible great adventure rig——
Tundra single cab 8 ft bed 4x2.
Diamond plate 8 ft aluminum side boxes.
Kargo master rack.
1885# payload on sill.
Carry all adventure kit and tools.
Carry KTM (very nice).
Carry kayaks.
Carry bicycles.
IMO
Tom
Tom, I think I'd still need the little Honda generator. Plus I need the double cab, 4x4 to get where I need to go with "more stuff." Which all means I'll be over the max load. Choices choices choices.. Nice to know I'd have trouble free operation with the Tundra, and I think they are overbuilt, but by how much?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #536
2 Rivet Member

1948 19' Trailwind
1949 18' Trailwind
1957 16' Bubble
Salt Lake City , Utah
Need Advice on Adding Wrap-Around Dinette to Bubble

Hello all. I could really use the collective wisdom of you who live with (and love or hate) the side, wrap-around dinette in your 23FBs. I am rebuilding my 1957 Bubble and thinking of converting its front, street-side dinette into the wrap-around style the same size as yours in your FBs. I've read all the posts here and in the 23D/CB thread, and plan on incorporating the ideas I've seen. I planned on building mine with a better slope to the back, a smaller table with fold-out "leafs," and getting rid of the big pedestal table base. I'm thinking of using some origami thing that either pops up from below or detaches and stores away like the Lagun base from the boating world.

The Bubble is tiny - I believe its the smallest AS made with a bath at only 12'9" x 7'2" inside. We've spent a lot of time camping in our even-smaller Casita, which also has a fixed rear bed, and we're OK using the bed as hang-out space - what other choice is there?

We thought of copying the Casita layout, which has a front bath and closet with a street side 24x72 dinette and curb side galley, but that dinette is super small and we're polishing the Bubble's end-caps and don't want the front completely hidden. We also thought of using the layout of the 2018 Bambi 16RB (curb-side bath, front dinette, rear bed), since its nearly identical in size to the Bubble, but it seems really closed off to me with the tall cabinets on both sides of the walkway.

I've attached pics of my hand-drawn layout along with one of the original floorpan and pics of Bubble with that floorpan (not mine, mine was gutted). I moved my fridge to the closet to increase the size of the forward dinette bench and added the seat against the street side to make it the wrap-around style.

Is it really dumb to try to incorporate the wrap dinette? It just seems like a better place to lounge around than the dinette with the street side mounted table.

Thoughts?
KellySLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #537
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
First, the pedistal with an ability to move up and down is a great feature as it is a solid place to secure gear while traveling. If you go origami, give gear securement points some consideration.

U-shape is problematic in that folks share foot space, so limit that issue with dedicated space for each intended seat location. The flat lounge surface configuration is nice for an alternate use of the space. It may or may not be the best alternative sleeping space as the length available in the 23 is limited. Yours may be a bit larger and have more utility.

Good luck with your project. Maximize storage in the places needed to balance and concentrate the gear load over axle and low. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #538
2 Rivet Member

1948 19' Trailwind
1949 18' Trailwind
1957 16' Bubble
Salt Lake City , Utah
Gaucho instead of booth dinette?

Thanks for the suggestions, Pat. I had thought about going with a "gaucho" couch set up too, but it seems impersonal. I always feel awkward sitting next to someone chatting, rather than facing them. It would certainly be easier to build though.

And yes, everyone playing footsie in a limited space is definitely a consideration. Anyone have the actual dimensions of the street side section that makes the bottom of the "U"? It looks to be shallower than the sides.
KellySLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #539
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
The area over the wheel well does look a bit narrower, but it may not be. It is half the width and that looks close to same. Maybe someone with the coach at home will measure and get back to you. Here is a picture that may help. Pat
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #540
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
The older FBs (ours is a 2011) have the older style dinettes. They are not U shaped, and the table attaches to the wall. We never need to lower it because it's just the two of us. We find the dinette very comfortable to eat at, or sit and read. I've always thought the 23FB was crowded with a third person, let alone a fourth. The only downside is that the best views are usually out the back of the trailer, the person sitting facing the bedroom looks back towards the road (on back in sites). We have to take turns getting the better view.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #541
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplore View Post
Possibly, it starts to make contact about here
The tall drop bar for the Reese system adds an inch ir two of length, in addition to taller drop. Get the tall drop bar, and set everything for the correct height, and you will probably have enough clearance to drop the tailgate.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #542

2011 23' FB International
Florence , Oregon
Bedside Storage?

Has anyone installed a bedside recessed shelf, like the one in the photo, or other type of storage next to the bed on the wardrobe side? Looking for something small just to set reading glasses and small flashlight etc.
Fishindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #543
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindog View Post
-- snip -- just to set reading glasses and small flashlight etc.
The FC has a magazine rack on that wall. We use it for a lot of stuff. It gets a flashlight, remote, and water bottle. Racks of similar type are available from marine supply houses.

The closet gets enough clothes to fill completely. When it's minimal, gear goes there to centralize the loadout. So no space to indent a pocket. However, it might be a good idea to install one with structure to protect the AC control on the back side and the connecting wiring.

Good luck with your project. Pat
Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #544
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Take a look at umbra.com design products. I have used several of their items to upgrade the function and look in our AS. Very modern and several items seem well suited to the International interior design.

I used the Mini Key & Hook Organizer on the closet wall by the bed to hold iPhone, Kindle and flashlight.

Also replaced the three stock coat hooks on the left side of the entry with the Flip 5-Hook Espresso coat hook.

You can price out on the umbra site then see if you can get it for less on Amazon.

Just a thought.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #545
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Built a small shelf for remotes, phones, etc. also added shelf to top of magazine rack. Both very useful. Attachment 304801
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #546
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Dolson
Nice.. Does your shelf unit for the magazine rack just clip on, slide in, or what? I slide my kindle into the magazine rack now, which works fine. We've never turned on the TV. I'm not sure where the remote is. :O