Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #741
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
It looks like Blue Ox Sway Pro with the 11 hole shank (the longest) in combination with a 2017 F250 4x4 and a stock 23FB doesn't quite cut it. The only way to get it slightly nose down... even level, is to fill the fresh tank to the top. I've added two 230Ah GC2s giving it about 30 -35 (ish) pounds on the tongue. With 5 links hanging when they say, I should be at 7 minimum; 8 ideal. In other words, at 5 links I am not transferring any weight and without some flex to the torsion bars, sway control is almost nil. So, it looks like a lift kit will be needed. I also don't have our junk loaded yet.

I upgraded to the Progressive PD4655VL yesterday and it went well considering 90% at 90% humidity and trying to work that close to the floor. I should have skipped installing the new fuse board, but was thinking more fuse positions would be good. I also bought the remote pendant. Thanks Randy and Lauri at Best Converters for quick service and support.
WW
Old 07-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #742
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Converter was a positive change. I just followed a YouTube video. Nice to not hear the fan in the old converter running all the time. (And no cooked batteries).
We will get the lift done also. Hopefully the Dexter axle place on Portland OR will do the install. At least that’s our plan. Just going to work it in to a trip to the NW..
I don’t know if you (WolfWhistle) follow the 23CB thread, but those guys over there are always adding stuff to their trailers. Lots of good ideas, some applies some does not.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #743
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Lift Kit - 2016 International Serenity 23FB

I've been looking at lift kits, found that we have #10 Dexter Axles, but the Dexter rep I talked to said they are 'top mounted' and the lift kits I'm finding on trailer are for side mount. The rep also said in lieu of a lift kit I could get a new 'beam' put in with a different position to gain more ground clearance.

1 - Those that have installed lift kits: What model / brand did you get and where? And does that also require longer pneumatic shocks or are the shocks OK as is?

2 - Has anyone changed out the beam to gain a different starting position for the axles?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #744
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Lift Kit Follow Up

Update. Jackson Center says they do not recommend lift kit or different starting position - all Airstreams (he says) are set at 22 1/2 DT - where 32 DT would gain about an inch and 45 DT would gain another inch. They say it will cause excessive bounce and compromise the installation of the upper cabinets.

15" wheels / tires gain another inch. Was side by side with 2017 Flying Cloud this weekend and their rig was at least 3 1/2" taller (and had 15" wheels). They suggested if mine was sitting that low that possibly the unit had at some point been over loaded and/or had incurred some sort of force that may have compromised the system. Am I missing something or are all the late model 23FB's sitting low? Mine measures about 20" from the top of the belt line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badib-yazdi View Post
I've been looking at lift kits, found that we have #10 Dexter Axles, but the Dexter rep I talked to said they are 'top mounted' and the lift kits I'm finding on trailer are for side mount. The rep also said in lieu of a lift kit I could get a new 'beam' put in with a different position to gain more ground clearance.

1 - Those that have installed lift kits: What model / brand did you get and where? And does that also require longer pneumatic shocks or are the shocks OK as is?

2 - Has anyone changed out the beam to gain a different starting position for the axles?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #745
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:

We used Dexter part K71-707-02 (http://www.dexteraxle.com/products/s...orflex/torflex), but you can get it cheaper through etrailer.com. In our case we didn't order the kit, since Colin Hyde had them in stock. Since we had changed our axles to the 32 degree torsion arm version it also required modifying the shock mounts, but for stock axles you should be OK. Those that did this stock will confirm or disagree.

We're really happy with the lift - no difference in towing or ride, but the trailer now sits where it should, and we don't have to fret over every little bump when we're boondocking (or gassing up). She looks perkier, too!

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #746
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I used Dexter Park # K71-707-02 #10 2.63T. Had it installed two years ago by Dexter dealer. I also went to 15" tires and rims.

Works for me. Total cost was $378.00 installed. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #747
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks Dan, the lift kit will be going on for sure. I have found the culprit of the problem: They stacked the black tank and grey tank so the outflow for grey tank is very low. And we will swap to 15" wheels and tires as soon as we need new tires. On the change t 32 degree - did you replace the whole axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
We used Dexter part K71-707-02 (http://www.dexteraxle.com/products/s...orflex/torflex), but you can get it cheaper through etrailer.com. In our case we didn't order the kit, since Colin Hyde had them in stock. Since we had changed our axles to the 32 degree torsion arm version it also required modifying the shock mounts, but for stock axles you should be OK. Those that did this stock will confirm or disagree.

We're really happy with the lift - no difference in towing or ride, but the trailer now sits where it should, and we don't have to fret over every little bump when we're boondocking (or gassing up). She looks perkier, too!

Dan
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #748
Wolfwhistle

I didn’t get the number of the axle to be sure I get the correct lift parts. For that trailer to work with that truck with that hitch, a lift is mandatory. JC wants to sell new ones not make an old one work. 15” isn’t enough by itself. Managed to get a piece of metal in my eye modifying the flip foot that limited how low the tongue would go. On level ground I couldn’t get her setting level... wrong product for this trailer. Took 3” out of the foot and it works well. Today at the optometrist (?) and resting the eye. Getting ready to take the family to Reed Bingham SP near Ellenton GA. Will need to get the lift done ASAP.
WW
Fair_Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #749
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks Dave. You have exact same year and model as I do. That gives me the confidence the kit will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I used Dexter Park # K71-707-02 #10 2.63T. Had it installed two years ago by Dexter dealer. I also went to 15" tires and rims.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #750
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Added firmer foam in the two dinette EW cushions and a Super Brute tongue jack. The more dense foam makes for much better seating. The tongue jack is slower to raise and lower, but much smoother in operation and the appearance is very AS. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #751
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post

Hi Dave
Would you happen to have a picture of how your installer routed the gas line? I am considering having your guy do ours when we take our west coast trip in September.

Thanks
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:10 AM   #752
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Hi Dave
Would you happen to have a picture of how your installer routed the gas line? I am considering having your guy do ours when we take our west coast trip in September.

Thanks
This is exactly what we will be doing. The price is right, and someone with experience helps make the decision easier also. We won’t be there in September though. Next sept...

Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #753
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Thanks Dan, the lift kit will be going on for sure. I have found the culprit of the problem: They stacked the black tank and grey tank so the outflow for grey tank is very low. And we will swap to 15" wheels and tires as soon as we need new tires. On the change t 32 degree - did you replace the whole axle?
We did, and also went to the 15" wheels. We found that we realistically only got about a 1/2" lift from each mod; better, but not enough. The lift kit really did the trick.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #754
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
GeetinAway I don't have a picture I just went under today and the way the bracket mounts you have enough clearance to route the line over the bracket. Ever thing has worked perfectly.

I was perfectly happy with this company and they did a leak test and made sure the hitch was ok for the new height.

You can message me if you want the name of the install company and their details. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #755
Wolfwhistle

Thought I would run this by the best of the best first.

You nice folks who use the dinette for sleeping, what do you use to keep the cushions together and smooth out the bumps and lumps. The life you save might be mine.

The dinette converted to bed is 40" by 72" BTW

Thought of a twin foam topper and bed cover... ???

Thanks
Clint
Old 07-29-2018, 05:51 AM   #756
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
WW, the only times we’ve converted it to a bed (twice) we’ve had no complaints. I’ve never slept in it. 6’5” it would be a challenge. Our is the old style with just two bench seats, not the three sided dinette they have now. Our seemed really tight to get them in place.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:31 AM   #757
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
WW, the only times we’ve converted it to a bed (twice) we’ve had no complaints. I’ve never slept in it. 6’5” it would be a challenge. Our is the old style with just two bench seats, not the three sided dinette they have now. Our seemed really tight to get them in place.
Found a complete parts list for 2013; it seems the cushion style was switched mid year 2012 so each seat has 2 pieces for each seat, rather than the 4 like I have. My dinette arrangement is like your's. I will probably throw 2 of my sleeping bag pads and a bag over the lumpy bumpy foam. There should be snaps to firmly hold cushions together. I am thinking about redoing this dinette arrangement entirely. The space is 40" by 75" and should be enough for a nice desk or..... ???
WW
Old 07-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #758
Wolfwhistle

Staying with Fantastic fans, what do you nice folks think of the big ugly plastic vent covers? white or smoke? do it or not?
WW
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #759
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I put white on top of mine to match the white AC cover already up there.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #760
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
...similar situation; different hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
It looks like Blue Ox Sway Pro with the 11 hole shank (the longest) in combination with a 2017 F250 4x4 and a stock 23FB doesn't quite cut it. The only way to get it slightly nose down... even level, is to fill the fresh tank to the top. I've added two 230Ah GC2s giving it about 30 -35 (ish) pounds on the tongue. With 5 links hanging when they say, I should be at 7 minimum; 8 ideal. In other words, at 5 links I am not transferring any weight and without some flex to the torsion bars, sway control is almost nil. So, it looks like a lift kit will be needed. I also don't have our junk loaded yet.

From recent experience: IF the purpose of the lift kit is only for towing rather than "off road" another possible solution might be different hitch brand (needs more research); Have a 2017 FC23FB w/15" wheels; Equalizer 4 and pulled with a 2010 Chevy Tahoe last year - perfect set up with 6" drop on hitch. This year - new 2018 Tahoe RST (higher receiver...)....went to Equalizer Support (great service and website has shank sizing program)...confirmed and needed custom shank 7" drop (largest size)....changed out - worked out for "perfect" set up.

So this is an interesting hitch brand question....of the hitch companies...which ones can deal with these higher TV receivers on AS TT's.....to narrow choices? Can they all resolve the same difference 7"+ drop? (Have no clue).

Then the next unrelated mystery was air shocks (new concept)/weight distribution set up - regardless what the forums say. Different technologies (AutoRide/AutoLevel system by Chevy) out there; and found A. turn on truck AND be in Tow Mode. B. Load hitch ball...wait for AutoRide?AutoLevel system to adjust shocks. C. Then load bars....(Loading without truck running took the TV ) rear end way too high) maybe I was lucky but everything (TV and TT) landed inside 1/2" ....very level....to get "as level as possible" from the towing forums.

I upgraded to the Progressive PD4655VL yesterday and it went well considering 90% at 90% humidity and trying to work that close to the floor. I should have skipped installing the new fuse board, but was thinking more fuse positions would be good. I also bought the remote pendant. Thanks Randy and Lauri at Best Converters for quick service and support.
WW
I did too; great add with Lifeline 4CT 6V batteries in series....that fit in existing battery box....
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote