Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #721
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ed-184243.html see post #10

We have an owner who had difficulty configuring the FC23FB dinette as a bed. This thread has a picture of how to do it.

Posted for CharlesBoyle, a new owner. Welcome!
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #722
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Table in 23 fb

I have found the 24x24 table to be the best for all around lounging in my serenity.
The Kobi butcher block works well.
I use a small bungee underneath to keep the lock secure. I also use 2 cedar underlayment shingles to eliminate any wobble. Very simple. This configuration
works well as a work station. Plus it doesn’t
protrude into the aisle. Table rotation is easy for maximum clearance for couch sitting. It’s very comfortable for 2-3 people.
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #723
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Ditched the serenity bed covering

After getting some grease on the factory bed covering. I found a Tommy Bahama
quilt set for my international.
Sooo much better! Looks great too.
I guess I’m going hybrid with the Asian
zen and coastal Carolina look.
The brown pillows stay in the saloon and the white pillow works with the Tommy..
The green pillows that came with the coach go out the window
For a guy I’m trying !
LOL
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #724
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Just an FYI, the older 23FBs (we have a 2011) have a table that is always attached to the wall, with two bench seats. The tab,e is very stable, and drops down fairly easily. We never drop it down though. There’s just two of us in our trailer, it’s hard to imagine four. We had a 19’ Bambi before our 23. I couldn’t take the bed either, but I’m 6’5”. The bathroom was almost unusable. I think a lot of the folks with 23CBs sleep separately, with the front dinette converted to a bed each night.
Also, I think the 23CB also comes with a bunk option. That would help with the kiddos. Tough choices for sure.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #725
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Yamhill , Oregon
The 23FB forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
Big question to 23 front bed owners. We went to the dealer this weekend thinking about upgrading to a 23 from our 19 FC. We are family of 4, kids currently 2 and 5 boy and girl, and we do mostly short range Weeknd camping. We don't like the bed or the toilet in the 19, bed is short and I have to jump over wife all the time, and at my 5 10 it is impossible to use the toilet without leaving the door open. The thing is that on paper the 23 FB was perfect, but seeing it at the dealer brought lots of doubts because of the table dessign. The tablet seems to slide off easily and I can see my kids sending the food spelled any time, moreover the unit we saw didn't had an stable pedestal, the table seems flimsy and shakes, therefore we went to the 25 and everything was better but tongue weight and overall measures are way higher than our current right, so we are full of doubts. How problematic is the table on a daily use?? Does it become more shaky if turned into a bed every day?? Thank you año un avance

Our daughter frequently travels with us. For eating we take the wall side cushion out and replace it with one of the small throw pillows. Easy solution and no mods required.

For sleeping we put the table top down a arrange the cushions with both curved corner cushions moved to one end making a round area to put her head and pillow. She is an adult, but finds the configuration very comfortable.
Rob Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #726
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We could not live with the table configuration in our 23FB. We took it out and put in a bench seat that makes into a bed. When we want to have a table we take out the folding one we store on the back side of the bed. We have slept 2 middle-school grandchildren on the bench/bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench:Bed.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	317238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gonbench:bed.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	317239  

Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #727
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Gallego, You are learning the not so subtle compromises with the different floor plans. I had a 23 FB, didn't need to sleep more than two, but I did not like the dinette. I can't imagine putting it into a bed every night for two kids, and having to take everything off it before doing so. And, it's a narrow bed. The 23CB has a much better solution....with the dinette you can leave in place (and it's easier to sit four at), and the sofa makes into a nice-sized bed for two kids, in 5 seconds. And when it's not a bed during the day...so much more 'breathing room' for four people. BUT...that leaves you with the exact same bed/bath configuration as your 19, which you indicated is the real thorn in your side.

To get 'everything' you really need to slip up to a 25, with the increased cost, size and weight.

As with most things, you need to decide what you can live with, and without!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #728
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Thank you all for the replies, it seems that we are geared towards the larger 25 FC in order to not being bunny hopping every year. Definitely, RV fabricators and Airstream, in particular, do not take into account younger families, but the 25 seems to be correct for our needs. Price difference is not huge once you consider the price difference betwen Airstream and SOB, size and weight it is more a matter of TV capabilities. I am waiting to receive my a new Land Rover Discovery 5 in 3 weeks and I still have doubts about what can I tow with it. Currently, I own a Ford Flex rated for maximum towing of 4500 pounds with a max tongue weight of 550, and I tow a 19 ft Airstream that weights 3852 empty and 4500 fully loaded with a tongue weight of 550. Even though my trailer's tongue weight is over the limit, I have been towing without any issues using a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch. Now with a bigger car, we think we should be able to upgrade to a 25 that weights 5530 empty/ 7300 full and tongue of 837. Again we would be a bit over the maximum tongue (771 in this case), but this time I don't know if we can use the weight distribution hitch because of the air suspension so I am doing research On the other hand and before I start getting "compliments" from the full-size truck-only community, I need to say that I plan to reduce tongue weight by moving the batteries forward and removing one of the gas tanks and using only a smaller tank (we are still using the original charge on our tanks since 3 years ago), also consider we live and tow in flat South Florida....
I'll let you know the final decision at some point.
Thank you all
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #729
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Check the owner’s manual on the new car. Some vehicles have a “turn off” switch for the air compressor which allows for adjusting a weight distribution hitch.

My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI has rear air suspension. I took it to CanAm in London, Ontario Canada and they reinforced the receiver and shortened the Hensley Arrow stinger and bent it slightly to preload the suspension arms with less cranking. Since they do lots of these mods, they gave me a measurement to use for the lift towers that was spot on for the weight distribution hitch setup. In fact, we kept the Hensley when we traded the 2013 25FB in on our 2014 Classic but used a ProPride with our 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins that was converted to all air bags level ride suspension.

We reused the Hensley on our 2015 23D which had been converted to the same size 15 Michelin tires on new SenDel wheels (they match the 16” SenDel wheels on our Classic) we used on the 25FB. Since we also reused the Mercedes, the same measurements worked fine for the Hensley setup.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #730
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Testing to see if I can post a photo. Can't see any from anyone. I get Attachment xxxx when I click I get Attachment invalid.... blah blah... So, here goes.
WW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	317364  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #731
Wolfwhistle

Well wonders of e-wonders... after this last reply and posting a photo, I can see other's wonderful photos and in color no less. This would have been solved much sooner if there was a 8th grader available.

I'm heading out to attempt to give "Home Remedy" a bath... remove and clean / lub pantry slide out rack, if I can figure out how to do that (can barely move it). And the TV swivel (can barely move it) and bathroom sliding doors (can barely move them). At my age, I can barely move it, too.
WW
Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #732
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Talk with the folks at CanAm. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension. They sent me instructions on how to set up the hitch and disable the air suspension for the setup.

Great people there willing to help. I’m sure there is a way to do that on the Land Rover.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #733
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
TV pivot

I too had trouble pivoting the Television and it squeaked like crazy. A little WD40 and the squeaks are gone. The pivot arms rotate easier too.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #734
1 Rivet Member

time , AIR
Off the topic stream but probably the right place to ask: Does the table in the U-dinnet removable like in the base camp if that makes sense?

Thanks.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #735
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
It's certainly not EASILY removable.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #736
1 Rivet Member

time , AIR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
It's certainly not EASILY removable.
Thanks.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #737
Wolfwhistle

Questions for the experts... asking for advice and comments welcome... don't hold back.

2013 Signature 23FB front queen, BTW

1) Are the batteries fused?

2) I can hear the water pump but haven't laid eyes on it yet... the manual says its curb side bottom of the wardrobe. I find subwoofer and water heater in there and the WH bypass valve. Is the pump behind a panel near the sink?

3) How do you remove the 'pantry' sliding tray? I would think I would just start removing screws until I obtain revelation

4) I am not impressed with the fantastic fans. The lift motor / mechanism can't overcome a slightly sticky lid seal and no reverse, which I have seen the modification to make them so. I had the deluxe Maxxair before and they are miles and smiles ahead with a remote, reversible, no need for a cover or rain sensors, can be left up for travel, thermostatically controlled, and move more air on less ampere draw.

What I have done:

A) Added TST 507 TPMS

B) Replaced 12v group 24s with GC-2 230AH 6 volt (battery box mod still needed)

C) Clean / flushed / sanitized all tanks

D) Ordered PD 4655VL 55 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remote Pendant 4600 Remote from Best Converter Inc.

E) Ordered solid 304 SS lug nuts

F) Will swap out to the longer Blue Ox shank to better level the trailer as it sits now - received this yesterday

G) Ordered Gel sheets to warm the LED spot lights - from Stage Sports (Marlene 506 and a sampler set of warm colors)

What I planning / considering:

i) Lift kit for #10 axles (I have not verified this is what I have). With brand new stock 14" Endurance tires I don't want to go 15" yet

ii) Adding battery cutoff and catastrophic fuse (breaker) at batteries... and possibly...

iii) ... Adding Zamp plug onto the battery box... and ordering Zamp 200W portable kit. Or...

iv) ... Building my own kit with Renogy equipment. I don't think I can bring myself to drill through or mount anything to the roof as much as I would prefer panels permanently mounted topside.

v) Adding an inverter, probably two. A 300W PSW dedicated to charging ports (to be installed) and possibly the TV, which I already have (a Samlex) for sure and maybe a 1500W to 2000W PSW used rarely for microwave and hair dryer / curling iron for the little lady (remote switch and normally off). Where and how to install - to be determined

vi) Wireless (or wired) backup (rear view) camera. I had wired on the old toyhauler and feel naked without it

So, that's it in my typical long winded fashion. Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #738
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
My thoughts:

Lift kit is good regardless of size tires, especially if you do any off road. Take a photo of your axel sticker and send it to Dexter and they will tell you the exact kit. Then purchase from etrailer. They have beat prices.

Suitcase solar works. I bought a refurbished 200W renogy system from their eBay store. Good deal as same warranty. It compliments m roof top solar (which I highly recommend if you boondocking a lot)

Yo can buy DC USB charging ports for things like tablets phones, cameras etc. hat would be more efficient and easier IMO than a small inverter. The newer units come stock with these and others have bought them on amazon.

Wireless backup camera is good but fore more of a rear view mirror. It doesn’t help much with backing unit in, mainly letting me know what’s going on back there which is good. The scale is whacky (everything looks very far away) so you have to consider that. Mine is wireless and works well.

Good luck! Sounds like you have a lot to do!
Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #739
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
I can hear the water pump but haven't laid eyes on it yet... the manual says its curb side bottom of the wardrobe. I find subwoofer and water heater in there and the WH bypass valve. Is the pump behind a panel near the sink?
The water pump should be under the street side wardrobe. The floor of the wardrobe is a removable panel.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #740
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
My thoughts:

Lift kit is good regardless of size tires

Suitcase solar works.

You can buy DC USB charging port

Wireless backup camera is good but fore more of a rear view mirror

Good luck! Sounds like you have a lot to do!
T, your thoughts are like mine. I will be checking ebay for solar parts... didn't think of this. I'll crawl under there to check for the axle number, too. Thanks, WW